CM Hyper 212+ vs Dark Rock Advanced?

gshaw0

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I've been reading around everywhere and still can't make my mind up on this one!

Building a new system but recycling some old components...

- Antec 900 case (reused)
- OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU (reused)
- MSI P67A-GD53
- Core i5 2500k
- 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
- MSI Frozr II 560Ti OC

Problem is what cooler to go for. Originally heard good things about the Dark Rock Advanced but looking at the specs I'm very dubious about whether it will fit in the Antec 900 case I've got. 160mm NH-D14 fits but whether there's another 7mm before it hits the case side is a very close call. The Dark Rock also apparently has a tricky mounting system that doesn't sound too good either?

With that in mind I looked at the other options that were 160mm or under and seems the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ could be a good choice. Did see some points about it being a bit noisy though? Currently running an E8400 with Artic Pro Freezer 7 for comparison, would it be about the same in terms of noise output?

If not either of those then also looked at the Corsair A50, Arctic Freezer 13 Scythe Mugen, Gelid Tranquillo and a few others but the Hyper 212+ seems to be better value \ performance than any of those.

Any particular recommendations that stand out and will fit?

(Did post in the Antec forum as well to get an idea of the size of cooler I can fit in the case, don't want to be knocked for cross posting as this is a slightly different qu about cooler performance \ noise levels rather than the other thread about case clearance so hope it's OK!)

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Thermaltake FRIO is a great cooler as well as the Zalman 9500? (92mm HSF) The zalman is a little smaller, but the FRIO is imo the best HSF cooler out there, even over the noctua, and the prolimatech needs 2 fans on top of it for maximum efficiency. I think you may have a tight squeeze, but all these units should fit.

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
well, I can tell you that I have an older Lian Li case (LUV it btw) ..it's a hair more than 8 inches wide (which seems to be a bit wider than most cases these day) ...my 212+ just fits (it's pretty tall ) But ..it really rocks, its a fantastic cooler for the money spent like ($30 I think) ..and it comes with mount to add 2nd fan for a push/pull setup ..I added a Silenx fan cant hear it over the other case fans.

you're gonna have to first break out the ruler and measure what will fit , and go from there ..also your gonna have to check on the RAM size ur using ..some RAM with the Hi-Rise heatspreaders wont work with some Coolers ( my Gskill Ripjaws barely clear the 212+)

as for the noise lvls ..well I have a Boatload of fans in my case , sooo hard for me to tell a difference with the 212+ .. though I can say the Silenx fans seem quiet to me. your mileage may vary of course

gshaw0

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Coolermaster still sells some PSUs with liar-labels on them, with significant overrating or claiming protections that are missing. That is dishonest, so I would not buy or recommend ANY product from that company. No cooler they have, however good, is not at least equaled by someone else for a similar price, so it won't cost you anything to take the moral high road.

gshaw0

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Not good, problem is I'm not exactly spoilt for choice for something that will fit, so annoying that not only do we have to make sure the tech specs are right on builds there's all these physical and fitting issues now... very frustrating...

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Like I said in another post, it's good morals ,but you are spiting your self. The CM probably makes the best Cooler for the money. I'm not saying there isn't better cooler out there, but CM does have some good ones for under 40 bucks. I'm sure you buy products from plenty of dishonest companies. Do you use gasoline or oil? How about an American car? When was the last time you used a large bank? All dishonest, but all needed regardless.

ThruSeer

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
The successor to the 212+ is out, the CM EVO. Should do a little better at cooling than the 212+.

Is the...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

...the same as the new Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWM and 612S that just came out? I haven't been able to find the CM Hyper 612 or 612S on newegg yet.

The new issue of Custom PC October says...

"Cooler Master has expanded its range of Hyper CPU coolers with two new models: the 612S and 612 PWM. Both support a range of Intel CPU sockets, from LGA775 to LGA1155, as well as all of AMD's sockets from Socket AM2 to FM1. The cooler has the usual stack of aluminium cooling fins connected to a copper base via six copper heatpipes. A 120mm fan is provided as standard with a snap-on bracket, but another one can be added to the other side of the cooler. The supplied fan spins at up to 1,300rpm, but it can be slowed to 900rpm using the adaptor supplied with the 612S. This cooler only has a 3-pin power connector, but the 612 PWM includes a 4-pin controller to enable speed control via the motherboard. Cooler Master says that the 612S will be on sale in the UK in September."

Is this Cooler Master EVO better than the new CM Hyper 612 PWM or 612S?

gshaw0

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Looks like I'll be going for the 212+ as it definitely seems to fit in the 900 case.

Can't see how the Dark Rock Advanced can make it as most people seem to struggle with 160mm high coolers let alone the 167mm it requires so will pass on that one I think. Shame as the quietness and design looked good but on the plus side the 212+ is about £20 cheaper :)

ThruSeer

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zwysAvIdYY&feature=player_embedded

The newegg video on the CM Hyper 212 EVO shows that the heatsink pipes on the evo are actually touching at the bottom of the heatsink as opposed to not touching on the CM Hyper 212+. The reviewer suggests that because there are fewer spaces for hot air to build up on the evo, and because the copper pipes touch the cpu continuously, the evo should transfer heat faster/better. Also, the evo has a bigger faster fan that can push more air.

The CM Hyper 212+ = $26.99
The CM Hyper 212 EVO = $34.99

So for $8 bucks you can get more air push and a better heatpipe to cpu transfer.

gshaw0

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Think I'll hold out for the Evo, must be coming soon if the reviews are out there, think I read October...

Don't think I'll find something better that will fit comfortably in the 900 that's going to perform better so decision is nearly there, thanks for all the input :)

gshaw0

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

Only USA \ Canada though, by the time it'd get here Coolermaster will probably have them in UK stock (I hope!)

gshaw0

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Bad news, Hyper 212 Evo not going to be available in the UK until next month judging by what Cooler Master told me before :(

Need an alternative to get this rig up and running for Battlefield 3... if I wasn't so keen on keeping the Antec 900 life would be much easier but it stays so back to the drawing board...

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I would say go for the 212+ ..add the second fan on it for push/ pull , and of course the AS5 .. my 212 works great, I added a Silenx lighted fan with it ..no problems ..just my 2 cents though

I have a 902(8.6"W)and any 160mm tall cooler will fit in it or the 900(8.1"W)
You just won't be able to use the side fan.
No big loss = side fans accomplish little imo.
The FRIO is NOT going to fit in a 900 it's 165mm tall.
The 212+ will no problem it's 158.5mm tall.
The Evo would be tighter 159mm tall.
Your best bet is the Zalman Performa it's 152mm tall and is better and quieter then the 212+.
You could wait for the EVO but you would have to hack you side fan tabs probably.
Zalman CNPS10X-PERFORMA - £23.94 inc.VAT
http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=HFZ-CNPS10XP
http://www.micomonline.co.uk/products.asp?partno=CNPS10X%2DPERFORMA&sf
Another good quiet cooler 153mm tall.
Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler - £23.99 inc VAT
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-001-GD

gshaw0

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
One other option, Xigmatek Aegir SD128264?

159mm so should just make it, better cooling performance than the 212+ supposedly but maybe a touch louder?