"WD caviar blue sata 3 HDD's", which will be fast ?

crazywingman

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Hi ppl

i want to buy WD sata 3 HDD for my boot drive, which will be the fast option among these coz buffering n storage size varies ?

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD7500AALX 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard.

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard.

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive.

all are caviar blue, i thing not much performance diff.. from WD black ones.
so smart choice rather than an SSD will be the blue ones.

plz don't suggest any SSD's i knw they are awesome but expensive.
HDD's mentioned above range from 45 to 65 USD$.

plz its urgent.

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

personally I would suggest you get a 64 MB 1TB Caviar Black (dual processors on the controller board just for a start - plus other differences), but if you must buy a Caviar Blue, then I would take the 1TB 32 MB version you have listed.

Before spending the money though, I would double check you can't get a 64 MB cache version, but assuming you can't and from the options you have listed - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX.

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
You cant say which one is better than another one like this. Try go get the harddrive's spec sheet. For example, in next month, i going buy a hard drive for my 790GX based chipset platform, i have several options:

1. Samsung
2. WDC
3. Seagate

Since i stay in Malaysia, i guess i haven't had any brand to choose besides those three and can't use the newegg's sales. But, before buying, have you tried get the manufacture's data sheet? If not, try to get one and study each aspect of the data sheet. So far i know, seagate is to provide full datasheet for users only, partial from WDC and none from Samsung.

The top 2 regular drives for perfomance right now are the WD Black and Samsung Spinpoint, sata 2 or 3 is irrelevant here. Which one you get does not really matter much, for speeds. One may have better warranty in your area, lower price, etc...

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hang the 9, i don't think so for WDC. From the newest data sheet i had obtain from both seagate and WDC for 1TB models, i get:

The data sustained/Maintained for transfering from harddrive to SATA port:
1. WDC Caviar Black WD1002FAEX and Caviar Blue WD10EALX 126MB/S
2. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 125MB/S
3. Samsung F3 SpinPoint can't get and not mentioned in newegg

The Average Latency - the delay before an operation:
1. WDC Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 4.2ms
2. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 4.16ms
3. Samsung F3 SpinPoint 4.14ms from newegg

Although WDC may seen as a faster drive, the its capablity is almost the same for Cavair Black and Cavair Blue besides the Avg Latency.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/print/hdd-2010.html

From the review above, you can noticed that the WDC Caviar Blue is very WDC Caviar Black neglecting the Avg Latency.Also also mentioned: "The new 1-terabyte Caviar Black with the Y6 index doesn’t bring anything new and is similar to its predecessor. The Caviar Blue is similar to them in all parameters, too".

For me, i rather choose Seagate or Samsung. Because i had several friends who worked in both seagate and WDC and all they say it both company offers very similar thing, just slight differences only. Much people choose WDC because they replace a whole new drive to consumers but reality is that they only fix the drive that are fixable, replace those who are really unfixable.