Sign in with
Your question

Windows Explorer (my computer, control panel) freezing up

Last response: in Windows 7
September 30, 2011 2:14:15 AM

Hello

I cant seem to find the problem here,

I have a new Toshiba Satellite, 2.3ghz core i5, 6 gigs of ram and a 750gig hd.
When i open My Computer, the window freezes up, the green bar keeps scrolling infinately and no icons (like hard drives, disk drives) appear. Same goes for Control Panel. What could be the cause of this??

Also, when i close explorer.exe from task manager, i am unable to restart it.

***As i wrote this post, the start bar has frozen up, and I cant alt + tab through programs either!***

Please help me!
September 30, 2011 3:09:52 AM

Okay, thanks I'll go ahead and do that
Related resources
September 30, 2011 3:24:49 AM

Yes, it may be a virus, thats the first assumption...but....

..might be a windows registry corruption, wich is something that happens randomly, you may have to go clean install

Run the scan first. If that doesnt work, reset the machine to factory standarts. I assume you have backups, right?

By the way, read my signature
September 30, 2011 3:43:10 AM

Okay, ive followed all the steps in that how-to but none of the programs found any mal/spyware etc.
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2011 3:55:46 AM

OK, when did it started to bug u? Maybe u can return in to date before the trouble.
September 30, 2011 4:00:17 AM

The earliest restore point I have is the 27th, but the problem stared about three days before that...
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2011 4:01:44 AM

So alexandria_s, do u have one before that one?
September 30, 2011 4:09:01 AM

No, like I said, thats the earliest..........
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2011 4:16:26 AM

I see,

Do u have have backup? Or the original DVD disc?
September 30, 2011 4:39:34 AM

No, I just moved to Barbados, didnt bring that stuff. There isn't any fix besides reinstalling windows or restoring in some way? I really didnt think It'd be so much trouble for a little explorer problem
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2011 4:46:36 AM

There is repair function on the install DVD. Those are fast and easy solutions.

What Toshiba Satellite model u have?
September 30, 2011 6:57:50 AM

Alexandria_s you might be in luck and have a hidden recovery partition on your hard drive already. I believe most satellite's do. If I am correct you can just hold down F11 or F12 while booting and then you can choose to restore your PC to an out-of-box state but you will destroy any data you have and loose all of your installed programs( except for the ones that came on the laptop already). So I hope you made back-ups of your data! By just the Hardware you have listed I believe it is safe to say that this laptop is fairly new. Have you tried giving toshiba's customer support a call or maybe just checking out their website? This is a real pain in the A$$ I know but when I get a nasty malware I usually just do a fresh install of my OS and make sure it's completely gone. It sucks but sometimes malware/viruses can do damage that just can not be completely fixed using anti-malware/virus software. I wish I could give you a definite answer about which button it is or even if you have a hidden recovery partition but I'm not 100% sure about it. But I do have a friend with a satellite and his had a hidden recovery partition that we had to use to get rid of a nasty virus his laptop became infected with that wouldn't even let the thing boot it would just pop up a screen that would try to force you to buy some anti-virus that would take care of the virus you have... Anyway man good luck on getting your laptop back in shape!
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2011 7:06:11 AM

twstd1 said:
Alexandria_s you might be in luck and have a hidden recovery partition on your hard drive already. I believe most satellite's do. If I am correct you can just hold down F11 or F12 while booting and then you can choose to restore your PC to an out-of-box state but you will destroy any data you have and loose all of your installed programs( except for the ones that came on the laptop already). So I hope you made back-ups of your data! By just the Hardware you have listed I believe it is safe to say that this laptop is fairly new. Have you tried giving toshiba's customer support a call or maybe just checking out their website? This is a real pain in the A$$ I know but when I get a nasty malware I usually just do a fresh install of my OS and make sure it's completely gone. It sucks but sometimes malware/viruses can do damage that just can not be completely fixed using anti-malware/virus software. I wish I could give you a definite answer about which button it is or even if you have a hidden recovery partition but I'm not 100% sure about it. But I do have a friend with a satellite and his had a hidden recovery partition that we had to use to get rid of a nasty virus his laptop became infected with that wouldn't even let the thing boot it would just pop up a screen that would try to force you to buy some anti-virus that would take care of the virus you have... Anyway man good luck on getting your laptop back in shape!

That's what I was after too: )) +1^ twstd1
September 30, 2011 7:11:16 AM

hey, I just checked out toshiba's website and it seems that they have made a really easy way for you to bring your laptop back to it's out-of-box state. Now all you have to do is hold down the 0 (zero button) while booting and it will jump straight into the factory recovery software. All you have to do after that is follow the on screen prompts and you'll be back on track in no time!

Thanks for the +1 nikorr! I'm kind of a n00b but I try to help out when I can!
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2011 7:26:56 AM

Did you try sfc /scannow on elevated command prompt?
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2011 7:37:24 AM

twstd1 said:
hey, I just checked out toshiba's website and it seems that they have made a really easy way for you to bring your laptop back to it's out-of-box state. Now all you have to do is hold down the 0 (zero button) while booting and it will jump straight into the factory recovery software. All you have to do after that is follow the on screen prompts and you'll be back on track in no time!

Thanks for the +1 nikorr! I'm kind of a n00b but I try to help out when I can!

Well, u gave an answer that may solve the problem. If the guy did not erase the drive to get rid of some junk. Back up would be golden here.
September 30, 2011 2:09:24 PM

Friend, Windows IS Explorer. That thing goes rogue, you are in some trouble.

The guy above is right, your laptop probably has a hidden partition with windows, you may go in pressing 0 aparently, but it may also be F10 or Fwhathever, you should check with costumer support.

What happens is that you are take to an specific manufacturer OS, not windows, and therefore, you wont have the problem with explorer (not mattering what cause it to malfunction). Its a very simple OS, usually with 3 options:

-Check for hardware malfunctining
-Backup all your data
-Restore machine to factory standart.

Even if you dont have backups, at the Recovery center there may be an option to backup all your data to a USB drive or DVD, I know you can do it at Sony Vaio computers, I had similar problems 3 times already.

One thing I do on my Sony Vaio laptop is dual boot linux, so if anything goes wrong with windows, I can use Linux to go to a "also good to use" OS and check my windows files.
September 30, 2011 7:01:18 PM

Okay thanks guys, i guess i'll just have to go in and restore the laptop. But whats the chances of this happening again? I thought i had good antivirus software (latest Bitdefender Total Security)...? :??: 
September 30, 2011 7:17:10 PM

It may never happen again, it might, it may have nothing to do with virus, may be a simple windows registry error, it randomly happens. have backup, I use microsoft security essentials, and I know Im 100% safe
October 2, 2011 1:07:08 AM

OK, the problem has magically disappeared on its own. I pumped up the settings on my antivirus to "aggressive" and did several scans, which revealed 2-3 viruses (trojans) and got rid of them. So far no more problems.
October 3, 2011 6:30:03 AM

check the drive for error ....
October 15, 2011 10:31:58 PM

Hey Guys,

So.... after the problem went away for itself, its come back. So i bit the bullet and restored to factory... a day later the problem reappears... ??? Im starting to get annoyed, Toshiba is a trusted brand and i bought the laptop two months ago.... Any advice?
!