Unworldlyfriend

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Hi

When i put in a stick of ram to Slot 1 the computer dosent boot.
When i put in 2 sticks in slot 1+3 it recognises that there is 4gb but dosent enable slot 1
When i put in 2 sticks to slot 3+4 the memory comes back with errors
And when i put in 1 stick to slot 3 it comes back with no errors.

I was thinking i need a motherboard replacement.

Can you help me on this

Thanks Tristan

RAM = OCZ3G1333LV4gK
CPU= I5 750 @ stock
Motherboard = P55A-UD3

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Is this a new build issue or what happened to cause the change? Did the RAM ever work? What are the timings? Have you changed the timings at all?

Is the RAM on the mobo approved list? Is this 2 x 2 GB of memory?

What is the full mobo model number - I really don't want to have to compare all 3 at the detail level of instructions to make sure that there are not any differences regarding memory

In your post above, are you numbering the slots the same as shown in the mobo manual? The manual states that a single pair should be in slot 1 and slot 3 - as numbered in the manual. When you do this, you report that slot 1 is not enabled. What do you mean there is 4 GB but slot one is not enabled? How do you know this?

With one stick - it appears slot 3 works - which is consistent with manual. Will both sticks work (one at a time off course) in slot 3 so we know there is no issue with RAM? Have you rum memtest on each stick of RAM in slot 3 - should run each one for at least an hour and minimum of 10 passes - which takes longer.

http://www.memtest.org/

Note that when you finally think memory is working and stable, you should run memtest overnight for at least 8 hours to confim stability.

Have you tried both sticks in slot 1 - as this slot should also work with one stick. If both sticks work in slot 3 and neither in slot 1 - then it might be the problem.

Unworldlyfriend

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

This is a new build and happened from day 1

The motherboard is Just the P55A-UD3 Rev 1.0

It isnt on the support list but the ram says supports i5/i7.

I am using the slots it says on the board/manual.

i have tried both sticks in slot 1

I havent tried both sticks in slot 3 yet tho.

Il try to run it overnight and see what the result is.

Unworldlyfriend

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I Opened up memtest and clicked start

a few seconds later i got a blue screen :(

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFF680005C3C08
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF80002D15028
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Tried again a few mins after

Mem test started then came up with a error instantly saying

Your computer cannot accurately store data in ram

then the same blue screen happened.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Also - try to just get memtest to run 10 complete passes before worrying about running it overnight.

And you don't need to post details about the results- unless someone else comes in that knows how to interpret. Either it runs with no errors or it does not - that is all I am looking for. With good memory, you shouild be able to run it for 8 hours with no errors.

Unworldlyfriend

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

That config was Just 1 Stick in slot 3

that was using the reccomended timings/volts. 1333Mhz 9-9-9-20 1.65v

The bios automaticly sets it to this: 1066 7-7-7-16 1.5v

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I thought 1 stick in slot three worked?
Are those the same timings as when it "worked" before?

If none are stable, I believe you have timing issues, especially given the changes you are talking about. What happens when you run it at what the BIOS sets it at? And is the BIOS setting it at 1066 MHz or PC3 10666 which is 1333 MHz?

Unworldlyfriend

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

I did it overnight at 1 stick in slot 3 at 1066 and it came back with 2 errors

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Have you tried the other stick in slot 3 yet to check if there are problems with that stick?
Then also try the "good" stick in slot 1 to see if it might kinda work there.

I think you have issues that timing adjustments might resolve - unfortunately I am not an expert in that area and no one else has jumped in. Therefore I recommend you go the official Gigabyte forum at Tweaktown.com where they do have experts in that area.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

If you do that, please return to post the results of what was done to fix the problem for the benefit of others.

Unworldlyfriend

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

The conclusion i came down to is that the ram is incompatible with my motherboard

I have sent it back and got a swap for some ram that is on the support list.

Thanks for your help.