Sign in with
Your question

New Build New Member

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2009 12:59:12 AM

Hello there all first time poster here and I wanted some advice on a budget gaming build Im going to be doing. I'm torn between two motherboards the asrock p45xe Or the GA-EP45-UD3L with 2x2gb sticks of g.skill ddr2 1066 ram. I already have a gigabyte hd4870 512 video card and a 550watt psu. For a processor I am planning to go with a Q6600. Stock heatsink and fan but later plan to OC. I'm gonna cannibalize the hard drive and dvd burner from a different pc I have. Does this sound like a solid build? cause Right now Im running a POS asus p5rc-la mb from hp and a p4 630 running 2gb of pc2-4200 ram and I lag in a few games...

More about : build member

August 7, 2009 1:12:39 AM

The Q6600 was a great CPU in its day, but that day is over. There are currently a lot of options that would be better than the Q6600. If you post your thread following the format in the "How to ask for new build advice" sticky at the top of the forum we can optimize a build for you using current hardware.
August 7, 2009 1:45:33 AM

Regardless of what you decide to go with, an old 550 watt psu, especially if it's not from a brand name worth mentioning, will probably not be adequate. I'd forget about overclocking as well unless you go with a much better PSU.

As shortstuff said, can't make good choices for you until we know more about what you want your system to do, and a better idea on budget. As it stands, you can build good gaming rigs based on i7s, phenom IIs, core 2 quads, and even some core 2 duos still.
Related resources
August 7, 2009 2:14:21 AM

Thanks for the quick reply :)  The PSU is brand new and puts out 20 amps to each 12v rail. I thought it would be sufficient. I have heard nothing but good things going for the Q6600, I was either going to go with the Q6600 or the Q8200, everyone seemed to recommend the 6600.. I'm just looking for something that will run newer games at a playable fps. So what processor would you guys recommend?

Here is the link to the psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 7, 2009 2:55:53 AM

For a stock system, 550 would probably be cutting it close with higher end components. With the core i7s, the processor alone has a TDW of 130 watts. To attempt a stable overclock, you're going to need to supply even more power which I don't think a 550 watt psu could do.

For "playable fps," you could get that with the last released core 2 duo, the one clocked at 3.3 Ghz. Not really cheap for just a core 2 duo, but it will do the job for gaming. with a completely new build, core i7 is the price / performance leader.
August 7, 2009 3:11:26 AM

I'm really not to crazy about going with the new I7's yet I cant justify throwing down the extra money for something I probably would never utilize. I would like to go with a quad core though so it is semi future proof when they start optimizing all games etc for quad core use.
August 7, 2009 3:19:17 AM

myself also using quad core.for gaming at least..45nm better then 65nm..q8400 or q9400 would suit u according to your budget.if can q9550 y nt
August 7, 2009 5:06:23 AM

Wow, prices dropped when I wasn't looking. Now if only they'd do the same in Canada... if you can't afford a Q9550, a Phenom II 955 is the next best thing. You should be happy with either.
August 7, 2009 6:01:08 AM

Do you think it would be better placed if I were to just save up more money and just build an I7 system?
August 7, 2009 3:31:33 PM

jmabrao said:
Do you think it would be better placed if I were to just save up more money and just build an I7 system?

probably, I don't think i7 prices are going to come down a whole lot in the near future unless AMD surprises us with a processor that can truly match them at a lower price. the next release supposedly this fall from Intel will be core i5 chips that will be more of a mainstream family of processors, and the i7s will still be the top tier. Their might be a refresh to the 920 that will offer better performance, but I don't know for sure.

As others have mentioned, there are plenty of pretty nice core 2 quads out there that are plenty fast, and will do perfectly fine for at least the next 2 years.
August 7, 2009 8:26:16 PM

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with the q9550 It should be plenty for what I'm trying to get out of the pc, plus it's 45nm so it should run cool and use less power. So out of the two motherboards I quoted which do you think would be the better choice I want the option to overclock in the future if I elect to.
August 7, 2009 8:33:58 PM

First of all, what's your budget? Second, you don't need and i7 unless you need some serious processing power. ie. video encoding, CAD, and tons of multi-tasking. If you have the money to burn, and want an i7 for a game maching, that's great. Otherwise you're tossing money away.

Please do what you were asked. Read the sticky and post in the requested format. Myself or some of the others would be happy to help.

And I had that exact PSU. It took my entire system (excpept for the vid card) down when it went out. It wasn't even 2 years old.
August 7, 2009 8:38:09 PM

Both are good boards, and since they are based on basically the same chipset, they won't vary a whole lot in terms of stock performance. Since you will want to overclock, your choice will be largely brand preference. Gigabyte's board will likely have a lot of tools to assist in overclocking, making it easier for a less experienced overclocker to get up and running. ASrock has always been highly regarded among overclockers, so you won't go wrong with that either, though I can't say how easy the bios is to work with as I never have used one personally.
August 7, 2009 8:57:27 PM

Don't really have a set budget but cheaper is definitely better. :D  Ummm Now I'm pretty worried about that power supply... :whistle:  but good news is I will probably be swapping it out soon for a more powerful unit. I was thinking the Asrock P45XE would be the better buy because it supports full crossfire. But if I had a set in stone budget I would guess 500 and under for the mb, ram, cpu, and case. Shouldn't need much else for I will be using a hard drive out of old pc along with the dvd burner. etc. Definitely want to go atx with full case.
August 7, 2009 9:28:32 PM

AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Rock solid system with a very nice full tower case. You could get a dozen opinions on cases. The Salano 1000 is very nice.

The total is $507 shipped. Can make some adjustments to get it under $500 if necessary. The LGA 775 socket for the Intel quads is EOL, meaning no upgrade path.
August 8, 2009 6:22:50 AM

Well I think I am going to go with the phenom II 955. Will be my first amd :o  I don't like the fact that the 775 socket is going away and I want something that I can upgrade with eventually. I purchased a thermaltake v9 case today and will be purchasing mb and processor relatively soon :)  Thank you guys for the suggestions I will post again and let you know how the build goes and if I have any questions ;) 
August 8, 2009 10:44:00 AM

the core i5 would start at around 199, so i suggest waiting, and if you do plan on buying now, the Q6600 is 65nm, those days are over.
!