IDE Hard Disk not detected until data cable is readjusted

angela_s

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hi Everyone :)

Sometimes, my Computer does not detect my IDE hard disk even if nothing was disturbed. And after removing the IDE data cable and reinserting it again and starting the computer and repeating this procedure a few times, it starts detecting the hard disk. When I replace the data cable with the new one it works fine for a few days, but then the problem shows again after a few days, and again I have to remove and reinsert it to make it work.
What could be the problem and how to solve it?

Thanks.

angela_s

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

Thanks for answering. :)

I am not sure if there are any loose joints because the problem does not occur when I replace the cable with the new one. When I attach a new cable it works fine for a few days until the problem surfaces again. Then I begin detaching it and reattaching it until it starts working. This continues for a few days until this method also fails, it does not work even if it is removed and reinserted, and it seems the cable is damaged. And when I replace it with the new cable it starts working fine but only for a few days until the problem shows again.

Thanks.

Sorry, that's got me stumped. As far as I know, the cable would have to be physically broken for this to happen.

If memory serves me correctly, once IDE drives got to ATA-100 or so, you had to use an 80 pin ribbion cable instead of the 40 pin ribbon cable. The 80 pin cable still connects to a 40 pin IDE, but the extra wires were to prevent crosstalk along the wires.

Hopefully it's not a motherboard problem. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS