IDE CD not recognised with SATA convertor

bpm75

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Dear anyone,

Im rebuilding my dads computer after a motherboard failure. Replaced the motherboard with a new Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 only to realise it didnt have an IDE port for his CD drive. So I got a SATA to IDE convertor, one of the little PCBs that can just plug in the back.

It appears to work as the LED on the PCB lights up but I cannot get the BIOS to recognise the device is there. Any help appreciated?

Thanks
Barny

bpm75

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
If its any help with the solution I have tried setting the jumper at master, slave and cable select and even removing the jumper (though then it doesnt work) and I definitely have power as once windows is booted I can open and close the disc drive and here the discs spinning up once inserted.
I just cant get windows or the BIOS to see it even though it recognises the HD fine.

Why don't you just get a SATA optical drive, not much more than a converter, which is probably why the drive is not seen. It's really the only answer. ATA drive worked fine in old system, you got a converter, it's not seen anymore. Issue is with the converter. Unless it does not have notches and you have it plugged in backwards or something.

bpm75

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
It has notches so I know its round the right way. The convertor was about £4 ($7) which included the postage. To get another DVD +/- RW drive with lightscribe will be a LOT more! (and the fact Ive already bought the converters)

A new DVD/RW is a bit over $20. Since the converter does not work, you can either try another converter or bypass the whole thing and get a full drive.

G

Hi Barny
I have just purchased the same board,same with me.
Luckily i bought new sata harddrive and dvd drive but i am trying to run my old harddrive(ide) with a converter.
No joy the bios will not see it,,I have been trying for 2 days.
There must be a way,,,maybe in the bios setup.
let me know how you get on
Regards
john

Hi Barny
I have just purchased the same board,same with me.
Luckily i bought new sata harddrive and dvd drive but i am trying to run my old harddrive(ide) with a converter.
No joy the bios will not see it,,I have been trying for 2 days.
There must be a way,,,maybe in the bios setup.
let me know how you get on
Regards
john

Get an external USB enclosure for the drive.

TRENDING THREADS