Shock tolerance hdd level

Hello, i want to know if there is a shock tolerance spec. for 2.5in hard drive disks? AND (if yes) is there some commercial classes of those for known hdd brand name?
8 answers Last reply
More about shock tolerance level
  1. I think this should be available from manufacturers possibly in the details of any warranty they provide.

    I'm assuming you have some specific application for this and aren't choosing a single 2.5 drive based simply on how much force it can take before breaking.
  2. Each drive has a "functining shock" and a "I'm gonna die but remain in one peice" shock rating. May even be on the drive itself.

    If you want to keep data safe during movement/jarring, get a solid state drive.
  3. Actually, i have a VAIO ' VPCF 121 FB ' laptop and the internal hdd broke 2 times with minor shocks so I dont really mind getting a mid performance hdd as long as it doesnt break again during transports...

    the thing is that companies didnt describe the shock resistance in obvious terms (like that of falling from height X), they rather described it with [Hz] units (ex.:0.00459 g²/Hz (10 to 500 Hz))

    I guess I'll just have to check out many HDD to compare vibration resistance....
    Thank you
  4. Make a lot of money, buy an SSD, and don't worry about it?
  5. jester555 said:
    Actually, i have a VAIO ' VPCF 121 FB ' laptop and the internal hdd broke 2 times with minor shocks so I dont really mind getting a mid performance hdd as long as it doesnt break again during transports...

    the thing is that companies didnt describe the shock resistance in obvious terms (like that of falling from height X), they rather described it with [Hz] units (ex.:0.00459 g²/Hz (10 to 500 Hz))

    I guess I'll just have to check out many HDD to compare vibration resistance....
    Thank you


    As long as the laptop is shut off when you move it, the drive should be OK, even a regular one with a platter. The issue comes into play when you move it while the PC is running. A shut off laptop can handle a bit of a drop and still be OK, I've dropped them off a full size tower with no issues, about 2-3 feet up.
  6. hang-the-9 said:
    As long as the laptop is shut off when you move it, the drive should be OK, even a regular one with a platter


    This is a very good point hang-the-9! If you've been moving the laptop around without the read heads being in a parked position you are going to brutally murder any disk regardless of shock resistance!
  7. Toshiba offers a "Free-fall Sensor" option on its recent 2.5 HDDs, but I have no idea about its effectiveness.

    http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=StorageSolutions/PCNotebookHardDrives/MKxx61GSYN
  8. jester555 said:
    Hello, i want to know if there is a shock tolerance spec. for 2.5in hard drive disks? AND (if yes) is there some commercial classes of those for known hdd brand name?

    What I've seen of shock resistance for Western Digital and Seagate Laptop Hard Drives :

    Western Digital
    Operating Shock (Read) : 350G, 2ms
    Non-operating Shock : 1000G, 2 ms

    Seagate
    Operating Shock (max) : 350 Gs for 2ms
    Nonoperating Shock (max) : 1000 Gs for 1ms


    For an SSD : Shock Resistant up to 1500G seems to be the typical value.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage