Solved

HTPC: Phenom dual core or Quad Core?

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2009 10:07:56 AM

3 months ago, I had to build a new HTPC and the specs are as follows:

-----------------------------------------
ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition
2 x Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply
I'm using onboard video and sound
----------------------------------------

I am now building a second PC since I need another system and the specs for this second machine are below:
ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD
AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply
As you can see, the MB's are almost the same with some minor differences. The CPU's are both black editions with the latter being a quad core. Lastly, the memory frequency and size are different.

My question to fellow HTPC builders is, should I keep the dual core cpu in its original system or throw in the new quad core when it comes in? Would it be overkill and the 2 extra cores won't give me much improvement?

To further help answer this, my HTPC runs Vista Premium 64 bit, Symantec Ghost, Symantec Endpoint Protection, a silicon image controller (java based raid 5 program), and MyMovies (program to watch ripped DVDs off a hard drive). If more information is needed, please let me know.

Best solution

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2009 10:42:05 AM

more is not always better , sometimes more is just more

is there something your dual core cant do? If its doing what you expect and want in the way you want it to then ...............
August 7, 2009 11:53:53 AM

True. Just didn't know if I'd see that much of overall performance increase. I'm guessing, 'no' for its use.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2009 12:35:33 PM

If u didn't already have that Kuma i'd recommend hitting an Regor 240 in a flash hehe
m
l
August 7, 2009 1:54:00 PM

It depends what you do.
For example, I like to game, and play newer games, so i got the PII x4 955. Works great for WHAT I USE IT FOR.
Though if your just surfin' the net and what not, playing slightly lower end games, a dual core would be fine.
m
l
August 7, 2009 2:05:51 PM

gerbile3 said:
It depends what you do.
For example, I like to game, and play newer games, so i got the PII x4 955. Works great for WHAT I USE IT FOR.
Though if your just surfin' the net and what not, playing slightly lower end games, a dual core would be fine.

This thing is strictly an HTPC. It's hooked up to a tv and I watch DVDs and record tv with it. I was using it to encode video files to various formats but noticed some stuttering/slow response while watching video in Vista Media Center. So, I'll probably stop doin that and use the quad core setup for that purpose too.
m
l
!