Sign in with
Your question

Q9550 won't post on DP45SG

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2009 11:16:21 PM

I've been running a DP45SG (intel) mobo with a Q8600 with no probs. I wanted to use the virtualisation in Win 7 so got a Q9550. Popped it no - no post. Swapped back - no probs. Repeat - same result. Thought the Q9550 was DOA but the shop checked it out and it was fine. Intel chat support suggested a possible PSU issue (vague). I'm using a Thermaltake 550W - any thoughts?

More about : q9550 post dp45sg

a b à CPUs
November 2, 2009 11:30:54 PM

what are your other specs?

or go to extremepsucalculator.com to calculate ur minimum PSU requirements, just put ur specs in
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2009 11:35:59 PM

i would say alteast a 650 watt PSU
Related resources
November 3, 2009 2:59:08 AM

Upendra09 said:
i would say alteast a 650 watt PSU

it comes up as requiring about 490 W. So the 550 should not be a problem. According to intel the voltage range is pretty wide so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Other bits:

Intel DP45SG mobo
3 hdd - one is a 10,000 rpm unit
2 x cd/dvd rw
9800gt+ video card
2 x 2g ddr3 1333 pc10666 ocz cl7-7-7-20 ( I did try removing one to see if it would boot single channel - no luck )
Thermaltake tr2 rx 550w

all this works well with the old quad core chip. (E8300 - I put in 8600 incorrectly in the original post). New in - nothing, old one back in - no problems.

Any ideas?
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2009 3:11:38 AM

As long as you have the 0073 BIOS you should be good to go, have you tried doing a CMOS reset with the Q9550 in?
November 3, 2009 3:30:00 AM

Mousemonkey said:
As long as you have the 0073 BIOS you should be good to go, have you tried doing a CMOS reset with the Q9550 in?

Bios is up to date - 0121, and the cpu is explicitly listed as being compatible with the mobo on the intel web site.

I haven't tried the CMOS reset yet. Since I put the old cpu back in - which works fine, just no virtualisation support... - couldn't I just go into the bios and restore default settings? I don't think I've done much to change them in any case. I haven't oc'ed this system or done anything unusual. Is the point that the bios will pick up different default settings with the new cpu? If that's the case, I definately see the point.

It's a situation where I have to pull everything apart and swap chips to try things and then put it all back together with the old cpu if it doesn't work. So I'm trying to get as many things to try as possible between sessions with the lid off. Those flimsy pins on the intel coolers weren't made to go on and off too many times...

anyway thanks to those responding so far. Any more ideas are most welcome.
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2009 3:49:24 AM

A CMOS reset is not always needed but sometimes a necessity, it will normally involve powering down and unplugging from the mains and then moving a physical jumper on the motherboard rather than a 'soft' reset via BIOS. It may help.
November 3, 2009 4:04:16 AM

Mousemonkey said:
A CMOS reset is not always needed but sometimes a necessity, it will normally involve powering down and unplugging from the mains and then moving a physical jumper on the motherboard rather than a 'soft' reset via BIOS. It may help.

I'll give it a try.

by the way - Valentino is a legend. Even though I'm an Aussie and have to back Stoner, I have huge respect for Rossi. It's going to be an interesting contest next year if they're both on top of their game.
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2009 12:02:04 PM

Yeah Casey and that Duke are a force to be reckoned with for sure and if he hadn't taken three months off for medical reasons the championship may well have gone his way, next season is gonna be a humdinger for certain and I for one can't wait for the kick off even though there's one round left of this one to conclude. :lol: 
November 6, 2009 9:50:13 PM

Thanks to all for the advice so far, but unfortunately the problem persists.

I switched chips and removed the battery for about 1/2 hour. Unplugged the hdds and optical drives but left the video card in so that I could see if it started to post (no video on the board). Same result as before. Fans spin but no post - no signal to the monitor. Drop the old chip back in and all is sweet. The CMOS was reset because the clock was back to default.

So, I'm stumped - any other ideas?
November 7, 2009 1:15:59 AM

Yeah, I did try it with the jumper in "configure" position but I think that only sends you into the bios interface once the post sequence begins. I haven't tried to boot into "recovery mode" (jumper off). Is there a reason to try that? Other than "what can it hurt?"...
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2009 1:27:23 AM

What have you got to lose?
November 7, 2009 2:37:02 AM

Hmm. I'm still trying to get a response from Intel support. I'll do a bit more searching around for other things to try before pulling it all apart again - it's a bit of a pain because of the way the desk is situated. I might try regressing the bios a couple of versions. If it was supposed to be supported all the way back to 0073 and I'm on 0121, backing off to 0116 (or whatever) shouldn't hurt. Anyway thanks for the advice so far.
November 9, 2009 10:38:32 PM

Got a response from Intel. Advice was to remove one stick of RAM and regress BIOS to v 0073 with the Q9550 in, using the recovery method - i.e. removing the BIOS jumper and starting up with either a cd or flash drive with the .bio file in the computer. If it posts, I can then supposedly upgrade to the latest BIOS with the new chip in place. We shall see. I'll post results in case anyone else has this issue.
November 17, 2009 6:51:05 PM

Hi Mahlon,

any luck with solving that problem? I have just (literally today) bought the same motherboard and cpu and after updating the bios to 0121 having used an older processor i still dont have any luck getting post on the q9550.

any help?
November 17, 2009 9:03:11 PM

deewhyoh said:
Hi Mahlon,

any luck with solving that problem? I have just (literally today) bought the same motherboard and cpu and after updating the bios to 0121 having used an older processor i still dont have any luck getting post on the q9550.

any help?

Unfortunately, no. I couldn't source the 0073 bios - 0083 was the earliest I could find. I regressed the bios to 0083 - and what a pain that was. The flash drive method didn't work but I managed to get it to work with a cd. I put in the Q9550 but didn't bother with the cooler unless it started to boot. For the first time, it did start to boot. Ok, thinks I. Spread the paste, installed the fan, test it again before putting it all back together. Nothing. It's a major PITA, eh? In my first 'chat' with Intel the support guy suggested that others had solved a similar situation with a change of PSU. I'm using a Thermaltake 550w so wattage is more than sufficient but perhaps amps over the 12v rails is insufficient... I'm not excited about spending around $150 - $200 just to try something. The other bits of my system are somewhere in the thread - what's in your machine? And please, if you make any progress, post how you did it.
thanks
November 23, 2009 3:23:07 AM

So. After trying all the things people on 3 forums suggested, all the things that intel email support and chat support suggested. I gave up and bought an Asus P5P43TD mb. It's pretty close to the DP45SG - P43 instead of P45 but uses the same I/O controller so windows doesn't get too confused. Sorry Intel, here's the bad news: I installed the Asus board with the Q9550 and it booted with no drama at all.

My windows 7 professional installation also started with no drama - I haven't yet tried logging into xp.

I'm using it now. Same memory, same PSU, same video card, same 3 hdds, same 2 optical drives. Problem solved. Since the DP45SG works fine with the Q8300, I left it in on the board and will probably use the board to build up an HTPC with spare parts sometime soon. Thanks to all who tried to help - I'm sure the advice was sound -just can't help dodgy engineering.
!