HD 6950 overclock core or memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

a101817

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
When i overclock my 2 hd 6950's, when i raise it to 930mhz/1280mhz @1.18v it is stable, however if i try to raise the mem to anything above 1300 mhz everything freezes and crashes within 2 minutes. Is this unusual to see the core overclock rather well but the memory on my cards overclocks horribly? And will i see any benefit from a memory overclock anyway, I thought the core overclock gave a much higher gain in fps? Stock settings are 800mhz/1250mhz @ 1.1v

Thanks

Solution
From what I understand, video memory is just like system memory in that it has specific latency timings. The biggest difference on video memory is that you can't adjust your timings to match the new speed, which results in a crash - so typically, you'll get less of an increase percentage wise on the memory than the GPU.

For what it's worth, i have the MSI Twin Frozr II OC 6950, which is only OC'd 10MHz on the GPU (lol that they call it OC). I can crank mine up to 880 on the GPU and 1325 on the VRAM and it runs great. I haven't tried bumping the voltage any. It will vary also from card to card and the cooling solution on your particular card will affect it as well.

You can see an increase in FPS from both, especially if you're...

cdub1980

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
From what I understand, video memory is just like system memory in that it has specific latency timings. The biggest difference on video memory is that you can't adjust your timings to match the new speed, which results in a crash - so typically, you'll get less of an increase percentage wise on the memory than the GPU.

For what it's worth, i have the MSI Twin Frozr II OC 6950, which is only OC'd 10MHz on the GPU (lol that they call it OC). I can crank mine up to 880 on the GPU and 1325 on the VRAM and it runs great. I haven't tried bumping the voltage any. It will vary also from card to card and the cooling solution on your particular card will affect it as well.

You can see an increase in FPS from both, especially if you're using advanced options like high levels of anti-aliasing. Otherwise, every card has it's limits, just get what you can - I seriously doubt your graphics performance suffers much with a CFX setup on those cards!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.