Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Stereo sound not working correctly

Last response: in Windows XP
January 14, 2012 5:26:48 PM

I recently conected Creative GigaWorks HD50 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System to my windows computer, and only one speaker is reproducing sound. The right speaker, the one conected directly to the soundcard, is not (link below, just in case)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HMVAWC/ref=oh_o03_...

I tested this speaker with a macintosh computer and both speakers worked correctly. I also tested another set of speakers, a creative i-trigue L3450 on the windows computer and both speakers worked correctly.

So the problem happens with this specific combination

Im using Creative X-Fi Elite Pro with the latest drivers and console updates. Win XP Pro SP2.

Any idea how I can solve this? I happen to need this specific speaker working with XP

More about : stereo sound working correctly

January 15, 2012 11:46:02 AM

A defect connection in the soundcard, replace it.
m
l
January 15, 2012 1:31:33 PM

soundguruman said:
A defect connection in the soundcard, replace it.

Friend, can you please explain why is it that a specific model of speakers work normally and another doenst? Im looking for a more detailed/technical explanation so I understand this.

BTW, the reason I use the computer is because of that soundcard, so I rather change the speakers...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 15, 2012 2:26:42 PM

You left scant clues about your connections.

You said only one works and the left one connected directly to the sound card doesn't ?
Where are you plugging in the right speaker? It plugs into the back of the left speaker, not in another audio socket at the computer. The one cord that plugs into the computer is handling both R + L signals. That supply cord plugs into the green socket, if they are colored.

If this is how you have it connected and it doesn't work, then I'd be looking at the dimensions of the plug connected to the computer closely. It may be shorter, not making the R connection or longer, passing the R connection when plugged in. Compare to another plug that is known to work. The shape of the tip of the plug can vary slightly and some sockets (at soundcards) are not forgiving at all about the exact point of contact the tip must make.

Test the plug/cable by touching the tip of the plug, and then the center ring, listening for a buzz coming from the speakers, they should both buzz the separate channels when touched.

I am assuming you have connected the power supply to the main control speaker and it is plugged in.

January 15, 2012 3:42:04 PM

tigsounds said:
You left scant clues about your connections.

Sorry, its that I specified the model, and assumed people replying here would be familiar with the model. Let me explain:

In the HD50, the right spekaer has all connections:

-The power supply connect to the right speaker
-the soundcard connect to the right speaker
-the left speaker connect to the right speaker

For the cable conecting the speaker to the to the soundcard, its a green one, its a 2.0 system

I had previowsly mistakenly said that the left speaker is the one that goes directly into the motherboard, but the right speaker is the one that does so. And yes, the left speaker is the one not having sound, is the speaker that conects solely into the right speaker.

When testing channels in windows, both "this is left speaker" and "this is right speaker" are being reproduced in the same right speaker, while the left speaker is mute.
m
l
January 15, 2012 3:54:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry, its that I specified the model, and assumed people replying here would be familiar with the model.

I use klipsch Promedia 4.1 with a 15" bass in a large 1.5 inch thick 140 pound sealed box. Makes the silver rattle in a drawer across the room. [:tigsounds]

Good to see the actual configuration.

I'll stick with the connections, or lack thereof at the sound card.

Try an adapter that will make a different (better?) connection at the sound card. If you plug in a 90 degree elbow adapter, then you can plug in your speaker cord to that and see if the adapter has a better go at hitting the tip contact in the sound card (although it may the be ring that is missing?). Either way, a different contact may be made that is successful.

How did the buzz test work out? It proves both channels are sensitive from the plug all the way through the system. Have the volume up when trying this.

m
l
January 15, 2012 7:12:33 PM

tigsounds said:
Quote:
Sorry, its that I specified the model, and assumed people replying here would be familiar with the model.

How did the buzz test work out?

[/#0800ff]

Firstly, problem solved.

I did the channel check and the buzz worked. Then I reconected the system to the windows pc and it worked fine. Perhpas the computer needed 1 more restart in order to update the recently installed x-fi drivers, or pehrpas the conection of the green cable wasnt 100% or even the conection of the speakers between themselfs could have a cable loose, I reconected everything and it worked fine.

thanks for the helps guys. This was certainly very helpful, as I learned the buzz thingy, I had no idea that touching the end and the middle of the conector afected diferent speakers, this was certainly a good experience.
m
l
January 15, 2012 7:59:11 PM

Yeayy... another happy ending.

The buzz thing proves that if the cable gets fed, the speakers will sing.

Enjoy
:) 
m
l
January 16, 2012 2:41:57 AM

Best answer selected by leandrodafontoura.
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:22:21 AM

leandrodafontoura said:
Best answer selected by leandrodafontoura.

n
n
nHappy Listening... and Thanks for the vote.
m
l
!