Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Noob needs specific suggestions for cooling OC'D i7 2600K

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 29, 2011 5:47:16 AM

Hello Folks,
I have been reading Toms hardware for some time but now decided to ask a question. Any help will be appreciated.
I am putting together an OC'd i7 2600K based machine. I already have the following parts: Asus P8Z68 deluxe; Corsair 600T case; Corsair AX750 power supply; 8GB Corsair Vengance RAM-DDR3-1600; VGA ATI SAPPHIRE HD6870 1G video; patriot wildfire 120 GB SSD; HDD 2TB HITACHI.
The above items are already in my parts collection....

So now it comes to the cooling where I need help choosing what to buy.
I want to be able to get 5GHz, so the CPU will need significant cooling.
I am looking at the
1. XSPC RASA water block
2. SWIFTECH MCP35X G1/4 pump
3. XSPC RS-240 RAD (mounted insiide at top of case) Comments/Suggestions?
Also considering the following alternatives (I have read that thickness is limited so the RX-240 won't fit)
(a.) BLACKICE STEALTH GT 240
(b.) Heater core, as per Dangerden; are these really better as some claim? Will it fit my case? I have not been able to find dimensions for it.
4. SYTHE GENTLE TYPHOON fans... two over the rad (in the chamber outside the case) in pull mode (these top fans are limited to 35mm thickness; the mounting holes on the RS-240 match the existing mount holes)
Other fans as needed to keep the temp down...Comments/Suggestions?
5. Do I really want a coolant reservoir? Some so NO!! and others say YES!!
Is this a matter of convenience and personal preference?
6 Quick connect fittings near water block so it is easy and safer to remove the mobo
also in other "key places" Comments/Suggestions?
7. Compression fittings other than those in 6.

Thank you in advance for your comments, expertise and help.
Pascal333

Edit Note 4ryan6: Added the Missing K to title and post.
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 1:29:48 PM

Moving this to the water cooling forum.
Score
0
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 3:39:16 PM

You will need more than a RS240 to cool an i7 2600 @ 5ghz...you are going to need (at least) the equivalent of an RS360 if you are clocking that high. Are you cooling the GPU as well, or a CPU only loop?

1. XSPC RASA water block -Good block for the price

2. SWIFTECH MCP35X G1/4 pump -Great pump

3. XSPC RS-240 RAD (mounted insiide at top of case) Comments/Suggestions? -You'll likely need more to cool that i7 @5ghz (see above)
Also considering the following alternatives (I have read that thickness is limited so the RX-240 won't fit)
(a.) BLACKICE STEALTH GT 240 -Consider other options
(b.) Heater core, as per Dangerden; are these really better as some claim? Will it fit my case? I have not been able to find dimensions for it. -Would really only perform about as well as your RS240 mentioned (depending on dimensions)

4. SYTHE GENTLE TYPHOON fans... two over the rad (in the chamber outside the case) in pull mode (these top fans are limited to 35mm thickness; the mounting holes on the RS-240 match the existing mount holes)
Other fans as needed to keep the temp down...Comments/Suggestions? - Great fans...are you mounting directly to the rad? Not sure I understand the mount you have listed. Also ensure you have good, normal case airflow.

5. Do I really want a coolant reservoir? Some so NO!! and others say YES!!
Is this a matter of convenience and personal preference? -It's easier to fill/prime a loop with one, but really is preference

6 Quick connect fittings near water block so it is easy and safer to remove the mobo
also in other "key places" Comments/Suggestions? -Do you really plan on removing components that often? If no, then you don't really need them.

7. Compression fittings other than those in 6. -Compression fittings or quick disconnects? There is a big difference. You'll need barbs or fittings...its up to you on preference. See #6 for my input on QDC's.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 4:02:43 PM

Overclocking a 2600K to 5.0ghz is a reachable goal, but if your intentions are 5.0ghz for 24/7 use, your water cooling plans need to be scrapped and completely rethought, you need to go big to reach those goals!

Or you will end up seriously disappointed!

You will need at least a high performance quad radiator, preferably outside the computer tower, and some really good airflow fans, probably push pulling, just for the CPU itself overclocked that far.

Others may say differently, but I've been there overclocking the 2500K, and you will probably end up disabling some of the Intel CPU features to get there, so spending the extra money for the 2600Ks hyper threading is total a waste of money.

The Swiftech MCP655 variable speed pump is really powerful and all you'll need.

A small reservoir for filling and keeping an eye on fluid levels, and barb and hose clamp fittings are my choice.

+1 on the Rasa water block, it's a good performer.

If you're determined to go the route you're planning with a 240 inside the case, lower your OC goal to around 4.5ghz 24/7.
Score
0
September 30, 2011 4:03:32 PM

You may want to dip a toe into a Corsair H100. The Majority say that it works well.

You appear to be designing and implementing a water cooling system and it looks good to me and I have nothing more to add. Just get a Coolant that is non conductive if it should leak.
Score
0
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 5:26:13 PM

x Heavy said:
You may want to dip a toe into a Corsair H100. The Majority say that it works well.

You appear to be designing and implementing a water cooling system and it looks good to me and I have nothing more to add. Just get a Coolant that is non conductive if it should leak.


Sadly, the majority also doesn't realize you can have a lot more for almost the exact same price. As far as coolant, we really only suggest distilled water...coolants don't do anything for you and to be honest, any liquid will become conductive after a short period of being in contact with metals...including copper, brass and nickel- all of which are used in watercooling components.
Score
0
a c 295 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 7:57:05 PM

pascal333 said:
Hello Folks,
I have been reading Toms hardware for some time but now decided to ask a question. Any help will be appreciated.
I am putting together an OC'd i7 2600 based machine. I already have the following parts: Asus P8Z68 deluxe; Corsair 600T case; Corsair AX750 power supply; 8GB Corsair Vengance RAM-DDR3-1600; VGA ATI SAPPHIRE HD6870 1G video; patriot wildfire 120 GB SSD; HDD 2TB HITACHI.
The above items are already in my parts collection....

So now it comes to the cooling where I need help choosing what to buy.
I want to be able to get 5GHz, so the CPU will need significant cooling.
I am looking at the
1. XSPC RASA water block
2. SWIFTECH MCP35X G1/4 pump
3. XSPC RS-240 RAD (mounted insiide at top of case) Comments/Suggestions?
Also considering the following alternatives (I have read that thickness is limited so the RX-240 won't fit)
(a.) BLACKICE STEALTH GT 240
(b.) Heater core, as per Dangerden; are these really better as some claim? Will it fit my case? I have not been able to find dimensions for it.
4. SYTHE GENTLE TYPHOON fans... two over the rad (in the chamber outside the case) in pull mode (these top fans are limited to 35mm thickness; the mounting holes on the RS-240 match the existing mount holes)
Other fans as needed to keep the temp down...Comments/Suggestions?
5. Do I really want a coolant reservoir? Some so NO!! and others say YES!!
Is this a matter of convenience and personal preference?
6 Quick connect fittings near water block so it is easy and safer to remove the mobo
also in other "key places" Comments/Suggestions?
7. Compression fittings other than those in 6.

Thank you in advance for your comments, expertise and help.
Pascal333


If I follow your thread line per line, you don't need better cooling than a Hyper 212+ since that CPU can't overclock to 5GHz.
Score
0
September 30, 2011 10:29:44 PM

Saint19, you might want to check around, "Can't" means nothing to a determined overclocker who has the capacity to take the heat away. I am running 4.2 and sometimes close to 4.8 stable. I know it can do more but I would want it to be around a while.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 10:37:38 PM

What he means is the OP has listed an i7 2600 and NOT an i7 2600K, so overclocking to 5.0 ghz would be impossible.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 11:35:39 PM

Just to give an example at 5.0 Ghz everything still enabled (like HT), TRIPLE ext Rad and Heatkiller 3.0 block:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
Score
0
October 1, 2011 4:06:02 PM

You will need more than a RS240 to cool an i7 2600 @ 5ghz...you are going to need (at least) the equivalent of an RS360 if you are clocking that high. Are you cooling the GPU as well, or a CPU only loop?

1. XSPC RASA water block -Good block for the price
--Is there a better block you would suggest?

2. SWIFTECH MCP35X G1/4 pump -Great pump

3. XSPC RS-240 RAD (mounted insiide at top of case) Comments/Suggestions? -You'll likely need more to cool that i7 @5ghz (see above)
--I should have said 2600k, though it probably makes no difference in this part. I have room for an additional 120 rad. if I remove the fan at the bottom front of the case. There is not room at the top, inside, for a 360. What would you suggest if I go outside? A Koolance Exos 2.5 on top was suggested but then I read it was noisy and likely needed a different pump and fans to quiet it. That would seem to me to suggest a different path, as I do not already own the Exos?
Also considering the following alternatives (I have read that thickness is limited so the RX-240 won't fit)
(a.) BLACKICE STEALTH GT 240 -Consider other options -- If I go inside the case, I am limited to a very slim rad-35mm Max. Are there better in this thickness, or do I need to put the rad outside the case, or maybe consider a different case? I have a couple days to return the 600T.
(b.) Heater core, as per Dangerden; are these really better as some claim? Will it fit my case? I have not been able to find dimensions for it. -Would really only perform about as well as your RS240 mentioned (depending on dimensions)

4. SYTHE GENTLE TYPHOON fans... two over the rad (in the chamber outside the case) in pull mode (these top fans are limited to 35mm thickness; the mounting holes on the RS-240 match the existing mount holes)
Other fans as needed to keep the temp down...Comments/Suggestions? - Great fans...are you mounting directly to the rad? Not sure I understand the mount you have listed. Also ensure you have good, normal case airflow.
-- There is not room inside the case for the rad and fans, so the rad would be inside the case and the fans on top of the case, so it is a sandwich, with the case in between the rad and the fans. Not the best maybe but it is a matter of space.

5. Do I really want a coolant reservoir? Some so NO!! and others say YES!!
Is this a matter of convenience and personal preference? -It's easier to fill/prime a loop with one, but really is preference

6 Quick connect fittings near water block so it is easy and safer to remove the mobo
also in other "key places" Comments/Suggestions? -Do you really plan on removing components that often? If no, then you don't really need them.
--I was not clear on this but I do want to be able to change the fluid without risk of dripping on the motherboard. So no-leak QD fittings near the reservoir would be on my list. Those to remove the motherboard probably are not necessary. I was thinking of using compression fittings in other places for appearance.

7. Compression fittings other than those in 6. -Compression fittings or quick disconnects? There is a big difference. You'll need barbs or fittings...its up to you on preference. See #6 for my input on QDC's.

---Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. Just a little more detail would be welcome, if that is possible.

Score
0
October 1, 2011 4:10:33 PM

You will need more than a RS240 to cool an i7 2600 @ 5ghz...you are going to need (at least) the equivalent of an RS360 if you are clocking that high. Are you cooling the GPU as well, or a CPU only loop?


-- Oh, I should have said I was looking only at the CPU at this time. Should I do both to help get rid of heat in the case?


rubix_1011 said:



1. XSPC RASA water block -Good block for the price

2. SWIFTECH MCP35X G1/4 pump -Great pump

3. XSPC RS-240 RAD (mounted insiide at top of case) Comments/Suggestions? -You'll likely need more to cool that i7 @5ghz (see above)
Also considering the following alternatives (I have read that thickness is limited so the RX-240 won't fit)
(a.) BLACKICE STEALTH GT 240 -Consider other options
(b.) Heater core, as per Dangerden; are these really better as some claim? Will it fit my case? I have not been able to find dimensions for it. -Would really only perform about as well as your RS240 mentioned (depending on dimensions)

4. SYTHE GENTLE TYPHOON fans... two over the rad (in the chamber outside the case) in pull mode (these top fans are limited to 35mm thickness; the mounting holes on the RS-240 match the existing mount holes)
Other fans as needed to keep the temp down...Comments/Suggestions? - Great fans...are you mounting directly to the rad? Not sure I understand the mount you have listed. Also ensure you have good, normal case airflow.

5. Do I really want a coolant reservoir? Some so NO!! and others say YES!!
Is this a matter of convenience and personal preference? -It's easier to fill/prime a loop with one, but really is preference

6 Quick connect fittings near water block so it is easy and safer to remove the mobo
also in other "key places" Comments/Suggestions? -Do you really plan on removing components that often? If no, then you don't really need them.

7. Compression fittings other than those in 6. -Compression fittings or quick disconnects? There is a big difference. You'll need barbs or fittings...its up to you on preference. See #6 for my input on QDC's.

Score
0
October 1, 2011 4:21:03 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Overclocking a 2600K to 5.0ghz is a reachable goal, but if your intentions are 5.0ghz for 24/7 use, your water cooling plans need to be scrapped and completely rethought, you need to go big to reach those goals!

Or you will end up seriously disappointed!

You will need at least a high performance quad radiator, preferably outside the computer tower, and some really good airflow fans, probably push pulling, just for the CPU itself overclocked that far.

Others may say differently, but I've been there overclocking the 2500K, and you will probably end up disabling some of the Intel CPU features to get there, so spending the extra money for the 2600Ks hyper threading is total a waste of money.

The Swiftech MCP655 variable speed pump is really powerful and all you'll need.

A small reservoir for filling and keeping an eye on fluid levels, and barb and hose clamp fittings are my choice.

+1 on the Rasa water block, it's a good performer.

If you're determined to go the route you're planning with a 240 inside the case, lower your OC goal to around 4.5ghz 24/7.


4ryan6 -- Thank you for your helpful response. A Koolance Exos 2.5 (3 rads) was suggested but I read that the fans and pump needed to be changed out to reduce noise. Because I don't already own the item, it seems better to look in a different direction. Do you have a specific idea for an external rad setup? I would appreciate that.


pascal333
Score
0
October 1, 2011 5:04:52 PM

x Heavy said:
You may want to dip a toe into a Corsair H100. The Majority say that it works well.

You appear to be designing and implementing a water cooling system and it looks good to me and I have nothing more to add. Just get a Coolant that is non conductive if it should leak.


--Thank you X Heavy. I will give that some thought.

pascal333
Score
0
October 1, 2011 5:51:18 PM

RJR said:
What he means is the OP has listed an i7 2600 and NOT an i7 2600K, so overclocking to 5.0 ghz would be impossible.




Yes, I should have said 2600k, which is what I have. Just forgot the "k". Sorry for the confusion I caused.


pascal333
Score
0
a c 239 K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 1:23:52 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by 4ryan6
Score
0

Best solution

a c 239 K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 1:57:37 PM

pascal333 said:
4ryan6 -- Thank you for your helpful response. A Koolance Exos 2.5 (3 rads) was suggested but I read that the fans and pump needed to be changed out to reduce noise. Because I don't already own the item, it seems better to look in a different direction. Do you have a specific idea for an external rad setup? I would appreciate that.


pascal333


I'm going to put some suggestions here for your consideration.

I went straight looking for this and discovered this deal which price wise is a great deal considering what it already comes with, and Koolance has some good quality fans.

You'll be adding the fans to the Black Ice so it will be much more expensive.

Top mounting the Koolance is not set in stone you could also use it as a stand alone setup outside, you can additionally add any needed extras below frozen CPUs item, like connectors and such as that.

Newegg does not stock much descent water cooling products at all but they've got the best price around for the Swiftech MCP655, my recommended pump.

I still recommend the MCP655 over the MCP35X, check this review and go down to the last chart, flow rate comparison where the MCP35X is compared against the other Swiftech pumps, and notice the MCP655 performance on level P4 and P5, Note: the LPM flow rate after 16.

The 35X comes out the gate strong but the results speak for themselves.

http://hw-lab.com/swiftech-mcp35x-pump-released.html

If you go with a setup with High CFM fans, you may also consider a good fan controller very handy when you need to quiet things down while just surfing the net.

One thing you will learn about the 2600K, is it's performance is so good you won't have a need to run it at 5.0ghz all the time, most of us run around the 4.5ghz range daily, which is literally overkill for any of today's available applications, the great thing about either the 2600K or 2500K is you have multiple overclocking options available to you.

The overclock versatility these CPUs have are remarkable, compared to what's been available in the past.

Keep your overclock goal in mind to run 5.0ghz, if you don't want to compromise that, then don't compromise your water cooling choices at this point, and take your advice from those that have actually reached a stable 5.0ghz overclock with either the 2600K or 2500K.

You may learn something seriously needed right here.
Share
October 3, 2011 10:00:21 PM

Best answer selected by pascal333.
Score
0
October 3, 2011 10:04:26 PM

4Ryan6 said:
I'm going to put some suggestions here for your consideration.

I went straight looking for this and discovered this deal which price wise is a great deal considering what it already comes with, and Koolance has some good quality fans.

You'll be adding the fans to the Black Ice so it will be much more expensive.

Top mounting the Koolance is not set in stone you could also use it as a stand alone setup outside, you can additionally add any needed extras below frozen CPUs item, like connectors and such as that.

Newegg does not stock much descent water cooling products at all but they've got the best price around for the Swiftech MCP655, my recommended pump.

I still recommend the MCP655 over the MCP35X, check this review and go down to the last chart, flow rate comparison where the MCP35X is compared against the other Swiftech pumps, and notice the MCP655 performance on level P4 and P5, Note: the LPM flow rate after 16.

The 35X comes out the gate strong but the results speak for themselves.

http://hw-lab.com/swiftech-mcp35x-pump-released.html

If you go with a setup with High CFM fans, you may also consider a good fan controller very handy when you need to quiet things down while just surfing the net.

One thing you will learn about the 2600K, is it's performance is so good you won't have a need to run it at 5.0ghz all the time, most of us run around the 4.5ghz range daily, which is literally overkill for any of today's available applications, the great thing about either the 2600K or 2500K is you have multiple overclocking options available to you.

The overclock versatility these CPUs have are remarkable, compared to what's been available in the past.

Keep your overclock goal in mind to run 5.0ghz, if you don't want to compromise that, then don't compromise your water cooling choices at this point, and take your advice from those that have actually reached a stable 5.0ghz overclock with either the 2600K or 2500K.

You may learn something seriously needed right here.



4ryan6-
Thank you for your suggestions. I have decided to follow them in spirit and I I am starting by getting a larger case that can hold the extra radiators and other additional cooling equipment inside and leave room to work. I was able to return the Corsair 600T case for a full refund, and I can get a more appropriate case for what it would cost me to add the external cooling equipment externally with the 600T. I think the 600T is a beautiful case and I would use it if it fit my needs but I see there are equally nice cases out there that will serve me better now and in the long run.

Thank you for your suggestons. They are very much appreciated.

Pascal333
Score
0
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 4, 2011 5:49:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
0
!