Sign in with
Your question

4gb upgrade for Toshiba Satelite

Last response: in Motherboards
January 30, 2010 3:07:12 AM

Hello, My friend had 2x512mb ram on her laptop and I told her I could upgrade it. I did some research and found her memory and that she could upgrade to 4GBs. Thats what I got her and I installed it. When I turned it on it did nothing so I reset the memory and rebooted. It worked. Now she tells me sometimes she has to reboot several times for it to run and it will lose track of the HDD when it goes in to sleep-mode. Is there something I can do, maybe in the bios? Maybe some kinda setting needing to be changed. Maybe to much memory for her cpu? Can she run 1 of the 512mb and 1 of the 2GB memory? if that is the case?
January 30, 2010 5:13:32 AM

Bobbyjinx said:
Hello, My friend had 2x512mb ram on her laptop and I told her I could upgrade it. I did some research and found her memory and that she could upgrade to 4GBs. Thats what I got her and I installed it. When I turned it on it did nothing so I reset the memory and rebooted. It worked. Now she tells me sometimes she has to reboot several times for it to run and it will lose track of the HDD when it goes in to sleep-mode. Is there something I can do, maybe in the bios? Maybe some kinda setting needing to be changed. Maybe to much memory for her cpu? Can she run 1 of the 512mb and 1 of the 2GB memory? if that is the case?

It could be incompatible memory, for various reasons. Double check to make sure that some of the basic stats on the OEM and your upgrade RAM are similar. speed (i.e. 800MHz), Timings (5-5-5-15), or voltage (1.8v). If any of these are signficantly off, there might be compatability issues. It is also possible that you have bad RAM. After verifying that speed, voltage, etc... are within range, you might try a basic mem test. The system might have come w/ one, but you can easily find burnable ISO images that have mem testing on them..
m
l
February 6, 2010 3:38:10 AM

Thank you for your comments, I got her computer back tonight and its my fault for going by what I read online and not checking for myself. Her computer is only 32 bit not 64. I should be able to use just 1x2Gb, Right? Thank you again, Newbie
m
l
Related resources
!