pchearn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hello,
I just installed WinXP on my Acer Aspire 5610. I downloaded the LAN driver from the Acer site. It is the Lan_Broadcom(5787) package with three files in it: b57win32.cat and b57win32.inf and b57xp32.sys. How do I actually install the driver? None of the three files will RUN and when I go through Device Manager, it will not recognize any of the three files. Help please.

b57win32.inf should have the "Install" option in the context menu. Select install and follow the instructions if any, and next go to Device Manager \ Network Adapters \ if the driver is installed the device manager should read; Network Adapters \ Lan_Broadcom(5787). You can check it with right click \ Properties \ Driver \ Driver Details \ the b57xp32.sys file should be included in the driver details... If it's not, click on Update Driver \ Select from a list or specific location (recommended) \ Next \ select "Don't search I will choose the driver to install" \ Next \ uncheck "Show compatible Hardware" \ scroll left side to Broadcom and select it\ On the right pane find Lan_Broadcom (5787), Broadcom57xp, or something similar (identifying the driver) and select it, and click Next... if the Update Driver Warning pops-up, just ignore it and proceed with the installation.

pchearn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Chicano - Thanks for the help. None of the three files has Install on the context (right-click) menu. So I right-clicked on the Network Controller item in Device Manager. It has a yellow question mark and exclamation point. And clicked on the Update Driver... Then selected the Install from a list or specific location (Advanced). Then I selected Don't search. I will choose the driver to install. But here, I did not have the option to Show compatible hardware. It just has a list of common hardware types. There is no option to select Broadcom. I picked Network adaptors and on the left I saw Broadcom (and nothing else). I highlighted Broadcom on the left and on the right I had four 3Com adaptors, 2 BCM adaptors, and 2 Broadcom adaptors. None of them were named anything like 5787 or 57xp. I tried all the adaptors and none of them worked. After each attempt, I uninstall the failed driver. Do you have any other suggestions?

I doubt you installed it. If none had the "Install" option then you did not install the driver... the drivers you tried to install were probably already included in the XP installation. What you need to do is install the appropriate driver that includes the .inf script to be able to install it...

Use the link below to download the appropriate driver... there are two drivers 32 and 64 bit versions immediately under the tittle, "NetLink Drivers".. and the .inf file does include "Install" in the context menu.

NetLink Drivers
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netlink.php

Post back your results and if you still can't install it.. I still have other options.

pchearn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

I went to the link and downloaded the 32 bit driver. I unzipped it and the .inf file had Install in the context menu. When I clicked on Install, nothing happened. I went to Device Manager and there is no change. Network Controller still has the same yellow question mark and exclamation point and it says the drivers for this device are not installed. Is there something else I need to do after I click Install on the .inf file? Thank you SO MUCH for your help.

pchearn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

I went to the link and downloaded the 32 bit driver and unzipped it. The .inf had Install on the context menu. I clicked Install but nothing happened. I went to Device Manager and the Network Controller had the same yellow question mark and exclamation point. The Network device status still said "The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)." Is there something else I am supposed to do after I click Install on the .inf file? Thank you SO MUCH for the help.

Nothing is supposed to happen when you right click and select Install on the .inf script,.. but the driver is now installed on the System... you now have to install it on the Network Adapter, so go to the Device Manager and repeat the driver installation following the instructions I gave you before. Post back your results.

Nothing is supposed to happen when you right click and select Install on the .inf script... but the driver is now installed on the System.... you now have to install it on the Network Adapter, so go to the Device Manager and repeat the installation following the instructions I gave you before. Post back your results.

Nothing is supposed to happen when you right click and select Install on the .inf script... but the driver is now installed on the System.... you now have to install it on the Network Adapter, so repeat the installation from the Device Manager following the instructions I gave you before. Post back your results.

pchearn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Just to let you know, the internet was working fine on the laptop before I reformatted the hard drive and replaced Vista with Windows XP (Professional 32 bit). When I go to Device Manager, I have several “Other devices” with yellow question marks and exclamation points. The only thing not currently working on the laptop is the internet, and of course wireless. Two of the devices shown with yellow question marks and exclamation points are the Ethernet Controller and the Network Controller. In your instructions where you refer to Network Adaptors in Device Manager, I assume you mean Network Controller. When I double click on Network Controller, I get the Network Controller Properties box. Device type is unknown. Driver provider is unknown. When I click on Update Driver, I see “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced).” I assume you want me to select this one as opposed to install the software automatically (Recommended). Then I select “Don't search I will choose the driver to install.” At this point, I do not have the option to uncheck Show compatible Hardware. I just have a list of hardware types. I have to assume you want me to scroll down and select “Network adaptors.” This brings up the Select Network Adaptor box. It says to click the network adaptor that matches your hardware. The manufacturers are on the left and the Network Adaptors are on the right. Selecting Acer on the left, I have 3 network adaptors to choose from: Acer NIC-559A with Alert on LAN 2, Acer NIC-559A with WOL, and Acer T62L158 with Alert on LAN 2. There is nothing that looks anything like 5787 or b57xp32. I have tried selecting each of these three and none of them work. Each time, I uninstalled the Network adaptor after the failed driver installation and rebooted the laptop. Each time after rebooting, I get the Found New Hardware Wizard. It says it will help me install the software for the Ethernet Controller. I pick Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), Don't search I will choose the driver to install, and then select Network adaptor (because there is not an Ethernet option to select). Now, on the left, under Manufacturer, two items are listed. The top item is blank (no manufacturer name) and the single network adaptor on the right is BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet. Below the blank manufacturer is Broadcom. On the right, it shows 5 3Com adaptors, 2 BCM adaptors, and 2 Broadcom adaptors. None of the 9 adaptors look anything like 5787 or b57xp32. And none of them work.

Chicano, I’m not new to PCs. I’ve been working with them for decades. I’ll admit that I’m not so good with network stuff. I have run out of things to try to get the driver loaded for the Network Controller. Do you have any other suggestions? Again, thanks for your help.

OK, so it's probably been the wrong driver all along... To skip all this mess, better use a driver application... Slim Drivers is efficient and will find the right driver for you. Some people disapprove the use of this type of applications, and that was the reason I didn't reccomend it in the first place... but the fact is that not all such applications pose a risk... I have used Slim Drivers for a few months and it hasn't caused a single problem however small. The only suggestions for using this application is to disable the auto startup, auto update, and autoscans. Other than that it doesn't pose a single problem. I was reluctant to recommend it before but by now it seems the best option. If this application doesn't help, the cause may be possibly caused by altered security permissions, and in such case you may have to reset the default permissions with Secedit or Subinacl.

http://www.driverupdate.net/
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Rightclick on "My Computer", select "Properties". Go to "Hardware" select "Device Manager". Find your ethernet device, should be under "Network adapters" or "Other devices". When you find it, right click on it, select "Properties". Go to "Driver" then select "Update Driver".

When asked:

"Can Windows connect to internet to search for software?" select "NO"
"What do you want the wizard to do" select "Install from a list or specific location"
"Please choose your installation options" select "Don't search. I'll chose the driver to install.

Select "Network adapter" from the list, click "Next. Then click "HAVE DISK" and browse to where your driver is located. Should be an INF file. Open it, then select your ethernet adapter model from the list(if any), click "Next" then "Finish".

pchearn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

I tried everything. No success. I had a couple of PC nerd friends try. No success. I finally took the laptop to the PC shop and paid $40 to have all the drivers installed. Success. I've installed operating systems and drivers many times before. This is the first time I failed. Bummer.