My 4 Pin connector melted and I need to prevent it again.

Hydra1001

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I don't know if it was my motherboard or PSU which caused the issue, but I could fully run my computer while the wires were melted and whatnot.

I purchased another PSU, but I'm worried that it it could possibly happen again. I've checked the wires while playing games and they did seem very hot, but I'm not sure if its normal or if I need to fix something.

I've read elsewhere that it could have something to do with my CPU, which is a AMD 6000+ X2, and if so I would like to know how to safely lower the voltage or under clock it to lower the heat that is coming from the connector.

I don't have a camera but it is this kind of connector. The top two things were very melted and the wires leading too them were warped, which caused my PC not to turn on completely unless I moved them.

gp550.10.jpg

This older thread also has pictures which sort of look like my problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282303-28-wire-melted-wondering-caused-this

if the scorch marks are limited to the connector itself and not the motherboard tracks then its likely that there was some high resistance there causing extra heat at that point, which corresponds to you moving the connector to get it to work. It could just as likely be the motherboard connector or a faulty component in the motherboard.

dumpystig

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Almost certainly due to very high current draw coupled with bad contact between the plug and socket pins.
First you need to make sure the PSU output (W) is up to par and the output is more than enough for your setup.
Next, with reference to the socket you pictured, get a pair of small thin needle/snipe-nosed pliers and in turn insert them onto the open ends of each of the metal receptacles within the socket - then give the pliers a gentle squeeze, the object being to ever-so-slightly squash them, hopefully resulting in a tighter, closer contact with the pins on the corresponding plug.
Over the years I've successfully done this plenty of times, from PCs to TVs to HiFis and various other electronic equipment.