Need help in upgrading RAM

mixke

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
I need help in upgrading RAM. The machine is running on 945GCM-S2L motherboard and is currently using 1GB Kingston DDR2 800Mhz RAM.

I want to upgrade RAM and then later install Windows 7 OS. So I need help in deciding which RAM to go for. Like 2GB sticks, dual channel thing etc etc - I'm a n00b.

As I believe sooner or later I'll upgrade motherboard and processor, I want to ensure RAM I buy now can be used later on.

As of now, this is a general purpose machine not intended for gaming. But you never know. After a few upgrades down the line, I believe it will be able to play Fallout 3 etc =]

king game

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
get 2*2GB Kingston DDR2 800Mhz RAM which makes 4gb in total that should be great for good speed.

i also recommend upgrading your system cause if your using 1 gig ram its pretty old!
2 or 3 yrs right

mixke

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

Yo! Bang on. Thanks for replying. This machine is nearly 3 years old. Never felt the need to upgrade it since it's being used for lighter apps. But now I want to switch to Windows 7 and I don't think 1GB RAM is enough for it.

I guess this motherboard supports only 4GB of RAM so buying a 2GB stick makes sense (total of 3GB then). Once I later upgrade the motherboard, I can use the RAM stick on it and possibly add more. Should I go with Corsair dual sticks/dual channel thing or simply Kingston 2GB 800Mhz single channel?

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

If you're planning to upgrade the motherboard in the future, you'll most likely be upgrading the processor as well. By that time, DDR3 would have become mainstream. If you think of the future of your investment, I think it would be better to save that money and save up for a brand new rig altogether. DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3 here where I buy my parts.

That is not what he said. He said to buy 2-2gig sticks of 800mhz RAM for a total of 4 and basically toss your other memory.
You always want to install memory in identical pairs. You will not be running in dual channel mode if you do not.

mixke

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

Thanks for replying. This machine is mainly used for regular office work, and movies. I'm sure of the fact that this will continue to be used for this kind of work only. So saving money for altogether a new rig isn't what I'd love to go with. But otherwise, yes, what you said makes real sense. I compared the prices of DDR2 and DDR3 =]

So buying one 2GB stick and using it with existing 1GB stick won't get me the best off 3GB RAM?

mixke

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

Okay! Thanks a lot for clearing that. Point taken =]

But if I add 2GB stick, I'll see improvement in performance and will be able to easily run Win7, right?

mixke

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks a lot guys for all the replies. Really appreciate it.

I'll first try to find a buyer for 1GB stick, and then to get 2*2GB sticks for me. If I fail to find a buyer, I'll go with 2GB stick anyways to make total RAM to 3GB.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS