Hi all, I finally ordered an SSD. It's the Corsair 115 GB job. I read the SandForce 1200 controller is one of the best so for $158.00 @ Newegg I figure it is a good deal. I know its not the cutting edge but I think its good enough for my needs.
I was just wondering if theres anything I need to know before I install windows and other programs?
The main applications I will install are Windows 7 HP 64 bit, Norton anti virus, CCC, Microsoft office Home and Student, Apple iTunes, Age of Empires and COD games.
1. Do I need to update the firm ware?
2. Is there any problem with MS or STEAM when you try to reinstall windows and COD the 2nd time?
3. Do I install all these applications on the SSD and use my current WD 1TB HD for pictures, video, music and documents only?
4. Can I store the song files on the Hard Disk and the iTunes application only on the SSD? Does that make sense?
Four questions and who ever you are thanks for your time. I've learned so much from you folks its a shame governments can't communicate like we do here.
1. If there is one. Check the manufactures website.
2. Don't know, not a gamer. Might loose your game settings, so back 'em up first! On the HDD.
3. YES. With that size, you should be good. Game programs on the SSD, data for 'em on the HDD.
4. YES. That's what I did. Then I told iTunes where my media is. (i.e. D:\My Music\iTunes\and then the name of my library (*.itl) file.) Easy to do! When you launch iTunes for the first time after install, hold the shift key down, and it'll ask what/where library you want to use/load.
# 2... If it is a game that utilizes STEAM to run, there is no issues ... Example COD MW2 & COD BO. Once you reinstall STEAM, you just load the games again and all your user data is there. If it is a non-STEAM game, you will need to back up your player profile... Example COD MW & Cyrsis. I have my STEAM authorized on two PC's (parent's house & my PC) and it stays current with the most recent info.