Sign in with
Your question

M3N-HT Deluxe Video Issue

Last response: in Motherboards
January 30, 2010 4:28:07 AM

I have a Phenom 9850 processor 8gb ram and a BFG Nvidia GTX-260 OC graphics card installed on an M3N-HT deluxe MB and can't get the video output to work, I'm running 64 bit windows 7 pro. I have tried both bios 2704,and 2904. Windows is up to date no problems installing anything. I have the latest chipset drivers and video drivers installed straight from Nvidia web site. When windows starts logo shows for 10~20 sec and video output shuts down. If I start up in safe mode and uninstall video driver, and restart, the standard vga works. If I remove the PCIe card and uninstall the driver and hook up to onboard vga video still shuts down. Going thru the same senario with Vista 64 bit home premium installed everything is the same except onboard vga works, but with GTX 260 installed video still shuts down. Any body have any ideas? I have a request into ASUS Service but they aren't answering. This is a new setup and the only problem I've had. Please help!

More about : m3n deluxe video issue

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2010 5:55:53 AM

It might be your power supply. What is the wattage rating of your PSU? That GTX 260 requires at least a 400W PSU to be on the safe side.
m
l
January 30, 2010 10:57:57 AM

Try using 800Mhz for your memory settings in bios
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2010 3:46:31 PM

gracefully said:
It might be your power supply. What is the wattage rating of your PSU? That GTX 260 requires at least a 400W PSU to be on the safe side.

Hi I have a 650 watt PSU and I checked all voltages and everything is fine there. All connections are made properly. Thanks for the reply.
m
l
January 30, 2010 4:01:34 PM

jlhal said:
Try using 800Mhz for your memory settings in bios

Hi I went into the BIOS settings DRAM config. and changed the MEM Freq settings from auto to 800MHz and there is no change. It posts the GPU and Dram Properly. With the display adaptor disabled windows 7 runs fine,I have a Linksys WMP600N WLAN card installed and it runs fine. The only thing I can't do in Windows 7 that I could in Vista is run MB support cd. It says it doesn't support this OS. I have been reading the forums and alot of people are running Win 7 64 bit on this MB without a problem The manual says the chipset used is Nvidia 780a SLI and thats the drivers the Nvidia website scan tool chooses and loads. I don't know if there is anything else that loads from the MB cd that I might be missing. Any thoughts? Thanks for the reply
m
l
January 30, 2010 5:49:12 PM

I just recieved a reply from ASUS Tech, They suspect a faulty chipset on the MB. Tigerdirect is sending a replacement, should recieve it mid week we'll see what happens. Thanks to all who replied...Dan
m
l
February 6, 2010 2:54:12 PM

Hi, I recieved the new board and still have the same issue. I found if I hook up my Vista 64 bit drive and load the drivers that came with the MB, The onboard vga works. If I install the GTX 260 and let the drivers install it recognizes the card ok and installs ok but still the video shuts down. I did run the windows memory diagnostic and found no errors, all memory is posted properly. I see people in the forums running Win7 64bit with this card series so it should work. Not sure where to go next.
m
l
February 6, 2010 3:08:57 PM

I am having the same issue i just posted a new topic check it out as well

posted as Need bios info for p5k
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:18:48 PM

ddfoe said:
Hi, I recieved the new board and still have the same issue. I found if I hook up my Vista 64 bit drive and load the drivers that came with the MB, The onboard vga works. If I install the GTX 260 and let the drivers install it recognizes the card ok and installs ok but still the video shuts down. I did run the windows memory diagnostic and found no errors, all memory is posted properly. I see people in the forums running Win7 64bit with this card series so it should work. Not sure where to go next.

DDfoe, I hope you've fixed the problem by now, if so let us know what you found. If not I'd like to share my findings.

M3N-HT/Deluxe Mempipe
AMD Phenom X4 9850
GeForce 8800GT > 9400GT > GTX550Ti
4GB > 8GB RAM
WIN Vista 32-bit > Win7 64-bit
Ultra X3 1000W Power Supply > ThermalTake Toughpower Grand 1050W
ThermalTake Kandalph LCS Case

Short story is I built a gaming rig that was fantastic until it was pressed with high-res graphics (remember, I had a 1000W PS in there). Then the machine would just lock up - hard boot needed. I fought with it this way for two years. It sucked. I fought with reloading drivers, replaced the Vidcard checked, double-checked, rechecked the memory and cooling. I gave up. I really figured it was the vidcard so I decided to spend some money and get an even better one - the GTX550Ti. I also upgraded to Win7 64 and 8GB RAM to see if the extra memory would help. I was desperate. The computer booted up, no problem. Recognized the new card, memory, O/S with no problem.

I loaded and launched BF3 in UltraHi mode to really test the card and it was beautiful. I had never seen game graphics at that level before and I was in heaven! Then it happened, but not a lock-up this time. The first fire-fight I got into with smoke/fire/effects, instead of locking up, the system shutdown to nothing. Shut the computer completely off. I was dumbstruck and ready for the loony-bin.

Then I read a string about the Ultra X3 power supply being under stated. It was spec'd at 85% power but apparently wasn't giving the power it was supposed to. I ran out and picked up the ThermalTake Touchpower Grand and bought the biggest one I could (1050W was all my local TD/CompUSA had). I threw that PS into the case as fast as I could, and fired her up. I've never had a problem since.

Moral of the story - Don't underestimate the amount of power these badboys need. And figure 75% effective rating of the spec'd Wattage.

PS Of course, you did add the extra PCI power cable from the power supply to the back of your vidcard, right? OK, just checking. ;) 
m
l
!