internet sharing problems

G

My laptop running Windows ME gets the internet from a wireless network from a PC also running ME upstairs. I found a xterasys USB to Ethernet adapter. The XP desktop and the internet recieving ME laptop see eachother on the network. I enabled microsoft internet connection sharing and set my desktop network wizard to look for the internet on another pc that recieves a connection from a different LAN. And I set the laptop to recieve the internet from the PCMICA card, and share it using the USB/ethernet adapter. The XP desktop is not recieveing any internet, and i've messed around with IE's connections options but nothing works. Can I use a *free* program other than microsoft's to successfully share the internet....or do I have incorrect network settings? any help would be appreciated.

A pessimist knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Well, first of all, what IP addresses do your laptop and dektop get?

On the laptop it should be 192.168.0.xxx for the wireless, and 192.168.0.1 for the USB adapter.

on the XP machine it should be getting a 192.168.0.xxx on it's LAN adapter.

G

yeah my usb 10/100 adapter on the laptop doesn't report an IP Address, while the wireless card does. That might be a problem, but the main problem is that Microsoft Internet Sharing sucks and i'm looking for a better program. I think i'm gonna make things easy and just buy the PCI reciever for the desktop and use one network. Thanks though.

A pessimist knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.