Cached logon information issue

mrpiter

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi all!

We are having a problem in our company with users working remotely on their laptops. They use VPN to connect to the corporate network but they also use cached logons so that they can access their workstations offline. The issue is that even though cached logon is enabled, some people get the following error when trying to login to the system: "The system cannot log you on now because the domain <DOMAIN_NAME> is not available". I do not understand why it happens. If a user has his/her password cached (to put it simple, I know that there are encrypted verifiers, etc), they should be able to login without a connection with the domain. However, I work on a helpdesk and we keep receiving calls from users saying that they could logon to their laptops and connect to the VPN just the day before, and now it is saying that the domain is not available... What is going on? What could happen overnight? Is that possible that cached logon credentials also have the expiry date? The only thing that comes to my mind is that the "local" password simply expired at night and therefore system is trying to connect to the domain to verify if user is allowed to login... Does it make any sense, or there is no such thing as the expiry date of cached logon credentials?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

mrpiter

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I was on call with the user 5 minutes ago... She was on a wi-fi. I asked her to log off (connection was obviously dropped, but it should not matter sine her logon was cached) and then she could not log back in offline because she was getting an error that the domain is unavailable... That is sick... Before I asked her to log off I check that the cached domain logon is ON and is set to 2, and that there is no need to be online to login... Any ideas? Why it sometimes happens that a user is logging off and then he/she cannot log back in because of the error that a domain is unavailable??? The domain logon is cached so it should not be trying to connect to the domain! :(