ATI Removal? Danger?

G

Hello,
ATI takes up a lot of space on my old Dell running XP. Can I just click uninstall or will that mess up everything? I need to make space so I can run the defrag.

The only ATI files/folders that you can safely remove are the driver install folders which are off the root of the drive.

Example: C׃/ATI/Support/{and any subfolders}

Those are used when installing drivers and are not used again unless you need to re-install drivers and even then, you'll want to download most recent drivers anyway so it is of little consequence to delete this folder set.

If you uninstall anything ATI in the add/remove programs section of control panel, something will not work anymore, like maybe your video.

Dump your temp folder contents and if you are not starving your system for memory, you can turn off the system pagefile long enough to defrag. Just don't run any other apps while defrag is running.

Look at some of the post here. At least 80% of them are from people that messed up their computer and now want help fixing it. They didn't know enough to not kill their machines, so how will they ever follow directions on how to fix it??

At least you came here and asked first before making a brick out of your computer.

Live Long and Prosper. ;)