phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
not sure if this is the right forum, if not, I'm sorry.

anyway, I'm buying a custom made gaming desktop from ibuypower, I know it's cheaper to build it myself but I have no experience what-so-ever with such things :sweat: I looked around and found ibuypower to be the only good website to use for this, does anyone have a recommendation?
and um... here is my build, so far, please let me know your thoughts, thank you.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Configurators.aspx?mid=375
Nzxt Guardian 921 Gaming Tower Case
Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology
6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module (maybe DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1866?)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 PCI-Express x16 – 1GB - SLi
Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB
800 Watt -- Power Supply Quad SLI Ready

+ other small stuff, comes out to be around 2000.

Get a GTX275, the price premium for a GTX285 isnt worth the tiny difference in clock speeds. The timings on the ram are more important than their speed, does ibuypower list the timings? Any way you can choose the brand of the PSU? If you want to SLI down the line you need a good 750 watt PSU, rosewill and other random generics dont count as good. Also if they offer the core contact freezer it tends to be cheaper than the dark knight its also more effective.

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

Thank you for your reply.

All the 6GB RAM options are 9-9-9-24 except for one that's 8-8-8-24. Is the speed boost in the RAM worth $50 for each upgrade?

Here are all the options for the cooling, which one is the best for the money?

Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink [+ $0]

iBUYPOWER Napoleon CPU Cooling Fan System Kit [+ $29]

Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit [+ $59]

XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology [+ $41]

Coolermaster V10 Hybrid TEC CPU Cooling Fan System Full cover of DRAM & CPU cooling for best cooling performance [+ $124]

Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooling Fan System [+ $60]

Liquid cooling might be good, but do I have to change the fluid once in a while?

as for the PSU, I can add $55 for "Corsair CMPSU-750TX", or add $115 for "Thermaltake Toughpower W0117RU", both are 750Watt

Go for the $55 upgrade for the corsair 750, its worth it if you ever want to SLI, if you never intend to you dont need as much power but they dont seem to offer any decent lower power PSUs. Due to their limited selection of coolers the Dark Knight is probably your best bet. Its not worth the extra $50 for the slightly tighter timings.

meatwad53186

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
No one is going to tell this guy that it is stupid to buy from the boutiques? Dude, build your own PC, it'll be cheaper, nicer, and you'll feel more accomplished and you will have fun in the process.

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
He already addressed that he doesn`t want to build it himself, no point in mentioning something like that.

I will say that I found a great deal from cyberpowerpc.com. I built my own, then found their website and for $50 dollars more I could have had a warranty and them build it... in all honesty I would have had them do it for that price. I don`t mean to complicate your choice, but it could be a better deal.