please !

chowmanga

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Please tell me what kind of processor for games is better:
core 2 quand (2.33 Ghz) or
core 2 duo (2.6 Ghz) .
please !

This post is very vague. You could be more specific with actual model numbers. Luckily I know at the top of my head which two you're talking about as there's only one possibility for each - q8200 vs e4700.

Q8200 is faster. Here's the benchmark comparing two: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=63&p2=52

For the future, this information can be found on google very easily. Try searching there first.

sub mesa

Distinguished

Have some benchmarks of games that scale well in SMP?

sub mesa

Distinguished
The two games mentioned are welcome in the light of multi-core CPUs. But its still only a few games who benefit from multi-core. About 90-99% of all games only use one thread; meaning a single core 4GHz is faster than a 64-core 3GHz.

GTA4 is a major title and i can see quadcores being beneficial to it, but GTA4 is not an RTS title. Supreme Commander is rather old and not very demanding; even old and slow CPUs should be able to play that game just fine.

I'd like to see more major titles scale well in SMP, but for now i've only seen a handful of games that benefit from multiple cores. Games like World of Warcraft, the Command & Conquer series and lots of other popular games are still single threaded. This may change over time and quad core seems to get cheaper in comparison with dualcores; but the vast majority of games right now would still prefer a fast dualcore over a quadcore. With only one game thread; there's still one thread totally free to do all background stuff or "crap" one might be running.

So i don't think its game-over for dualcores just yet.

No its not game over for dual core users,as you said there are still lots of games which are single threaded but so a C2D would be fine for almost every game,but as i said some games benefit from multi core CPUs too like new RTS games,GTA IV and games like prototype

sub mesa

Distinguished
GTA4 is an action game hardly a strategy game, RTS is like Command & Conquer / Starcraft. I'd love to see more games utilize quadcores more effectively, but right now for most gamers all that multicore potential is going to waste. As most gamers buy a new PC every 2-4 years any PC built right now for gaming would be best served to have a dualcore; unless you play alot of the handful games that really do benefit from quadcore right now.

Prototype also doesn't look like an RTS game; only Supreme Commander which you mentioned is an RTS game.

Did you completely read my post ? :)
I never said GTA IV and Prototye are RTS games,i said Most RTS Games,GTA IV,and games like prototype,by this i mean that Most RTS games and other games like GTA IV and Prototype

I don't know every title,but titles that i know are Supreme commander,World in conflict(Here is a link for World in conflict http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1162&pageID=3901 As we go up in the quality settings, the importance of the CPU lessens. At the lower quality settings though it is obvious that not only is it better to have a CPU with a higher clock-rate, but a quad-core CPU performs better than a dual-core CPU at the same clockspeed. The Q6600 @ 2.4GHz ties and even beats the similary priced E6850 @ 3.0 GHz. I would definitely think about upgrading if I had an old E6400 or slower as this will undoubtedly help getting more performance in the game.)

I did another search and found that games like FSX benefits from QuadCore too,but as i said a fast C2D is still good for gaming even if in games that benefit from QuadCore CPUs :)

sub mesa

Distinguished
Those results might not be entirely accurate, as they are underclocked/overclocked, which may influence performance more than simply clock frequency alone. But it does appear to be multithreaded yes. Still i wouldn't say is scales well; with 2 additional cores at the lowest quality, lowest resolution i would have expected at least a solid 20-30% increase in FPS.

Even with games like this, it might still make more sense to invest in a dualcore, as they are higher clocked for the same price. With games like this it would be very close to the performance of a lower clocked quadcore, but in other games it would be very much faster since those are single threaded.

A good argument would be that future games will continue to improve with SMP performance, though i would still argue that it might still take several years and a dualcore at this point in time is still the best choice for gaming; they likely can be overclocked higher where quadcores would run into heat problems.

Its nice to see that at least some games are multithreaded though; but these are still very modest performance gains.

TRENDING THREADS