3 tb hdd question

laylow

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Hello all.

I recently received a 3tb hitachi 3.5 internal hdd as a gift. When trying to format and start using etc, I can only go up to two tbs in windows vista and in 7 (I know, limitations!)

My question is: If I just leave this 1 tb blank and unformatted and hit 1,99tb storage, would the disk make use of the extra 1tb unallocated space for sorting/selecting/indexing or I would still need to keep the drive at a 70-80% capacity to perform these functions?

If the extra 1tb does not help, what can I do to enable it properly and start using it as a second partition?

Another, offtopic question, do you think that dual boot is any use or is it just unnecessarily complicating things?
Switching between vista/7...
My use is only for gaming music and movies.

If this isn't going to be a boot drive, you can format the full 3Tb using GPT instead of MBR. Just be aware that some OS's can't read a GPT disk.

[strike]You can't make use of unallocated space. You could put a partition there and format it as a 1T partition and assign it a drive letter.[/strike]

I wouldn't dual boot just for gaming. It just adds complexity when something does go wrong.

Hawkeye

Enlighten me. I thought that GPT was a partitioning schema, and that disks with MBR partitioning can't access the data above 2.2 TiB no matter what. Have you done what you described?

No, you are correct. That's what I get for posting before my first cup of coffee. My apologies for the misinformation to the OP.

laylow

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
So essentially, I need to reformat the drive to gpt (since I would not allow me to go over 2 tbs I assume it is MBR partitioned)
and then get two partitions working both in GPT. Their sum of space would be 3TB.

OR

I could get the second partition in GPT now as it doesn't matter whether the MBR-threshold-hitting partition at 2tbs?

Confused hitachi owner is confused... :D

As above, or...

GPT allows for partitions over 2Tb. If you want, you can delete the partition you created and create one large 3Tb GPT partition.