Ctrl-alt-delete won't open processes

July 23, 2004 1:55:00 PM

I can't get to the window that allow me to see what programs or processes
are running. When I click ctrl-alt-delete, the window opens momentarily and
then closes. Also, I can't get to the window that allows me to customize
what programs or processes are running. I thought it was msconfig.

I'm running XP.

Bob

---
July 23, 2004 8:23:57 PM

Robert, you may have a Virus. Check at Kelly's.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select T
and scroll to
Check your settings here: For Pro

Start/Run/gpedit.msc. User Configuration/Administrative
Templates/System/Crtl+Alt+Del Options. In the right pane double click Remove
Task Manager and enable it.

Also, if you have disabled the Alerter Service, CAD will be disabled. If
neither of these are the case and the Task Manager only opens for a few
seconds, then closes:

This behavior can be caused by a virus. One of three:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

"Robert Griendling" <rjgr@cox.net> wrote in message
> I can't get to the window that allow me to see what programs or processes
> are running. When I click ctrl-alt-delete, the window opens momentarily
and
> then closes. Also, I can't get to the window that allows me to customize
> what programs or processes are running. I thought it was msconfig.
>
> I'm running XP.
>
> Bob
>

> ---

July 24, 2004 7:00:25 PM

Nobody can click Ctrl+Alt+Del. Use Ctrl+Shift+Esc to invoke Task Manager or
r-click on Taskbar.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:39:54 PM

I can't run gpedit.msc. Says it can't find the file.

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Robert, you may have a Virus. Check at Kelly's.
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select T
> and scroll to
> Check your settings here: For Pro
>
> Start/Run/gpedit.msc. User Configuration/Administrative
> Templates/System/Crtl+Alt+Del Options. In the right pane double click
Remove
> Task Manager and enable it.
>
> Also, if you have disabled the Alerter Service, CAD will be disabled. If
> neither of these are the case and the Task Manager only opens for a few
> seconds, then closes:
>
> This behavior can be caused by a virus. One of three:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
>

> "Robert Griendling" <rjgr@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I can't get to the window that allow me to see what programs or
processes
> > are running. When I click ctrl-alt-delete, the window opens momentarily
> and
> > then closes. Also, I can't get to the window that allows me to
customize
> > what programs or processes are running. I thought it was msconfig.
> >
> > I'm running XP.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> > ---

---