What should I do for an upgrade?

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Okay so though my system isn't too old when I build it I didn't have that much money so it's not the greatest, so I'm looking into an upgrade but I'm kinda stuck on what to do, here is my system.

AMD X2 5000+ @ 3.2ghz
cooler master hyper tx2 cooler
XFX 750a sli mobo (one 16x pci-e slot one 8x, so dual sli is 8x)
XFX 9800GTX+
2gb corsair xms2 dual channel 800mhz ram @ 980mhz
seagate 160gb 8mb cache 7200rpm drive
DVD RW drive
antec earthwatts 80plus 380watt psu (dual 17amps 12v rails)
cosmos 1000 case (just ordered it)

So what should I upgrade, or should I get a whole new system (mobo, cpu, ram, gpu), go sli, or a new mobo/cpu combo. ANy way please do keep value and how long it will last into account, thanks.
PS yes I know I'll probably have to get a new PSU, but I got that one for free.

Solution

some AMD mb's melted with 125 watt processors . I think it was the heatsink mounts but I dont really know . happend a couple of years ago and was fixed pretty quickly

Ive always assumed the cpu wattage limit was when the physical structure of the cpu , probably the thermal compound between the actual chip and the heat shield starts breaking down or just gives up

anyway the 720 be is $119

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Is $50 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

an a second xfx gtx 9800 is around $130

Total is $300

I didnt check the gfx card power connectors . I think your gfx card only uses a single 6 pin...

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

Well I personally would ditch AMD, or at least upgrade to a Phenom II since they aren't half bad. Personally I would get a Q9550, which should last a while and is only around 200. I don't like the sound of the Lynnfield (still dual channel mem) and I think socket 1366 will not last very long. I upgraded from an 8800GT to a GTX 260 Core 216 and am very happy with it. Might want a better HDD too. But that is all just my 0.02.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Lots of Intel fanbois today. Anything on the LGA775 socket is a dead end. No upgrade path. AMD is the best bang for the buck for a gaming PC currently. For an upgrade, more memory would help. New vid card as well, but then you would probably need a new PSU. List your budget and what you'll be using the PC for.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Wow didn't think I would get all those comments that fast, here are some more details, I use my computer for gaming as well as everyday stuff. The socket on my motherboard is am2+ but it's only a 95watt.
AS for budget well thats pretty open, not above 500$. But I can upgrade in stages (new psu, then gpu, then cpu etc..)
I have no preference of AMD vs Intel, but since I already have a Nvidia GPU new AMD systems with sli support are hard to find (980a is it). If I was to do a full upgrade (MOBO, CPU and Ram) I would probably get an I7, but only if someone can find a decent one for around 500.

I hope that answers all the questions
PS. A cheaper upgrade would be better aka under 250

there just isnt any good reason to buy an intel c2q . They get spanked in gaming by Phenom quads and they are being phased out so no point buying the last of a dying breed , especially when intel still wants a premium for them thanks to their legion of blind fanboys

To the OP , can you use the how to ask for advice template at the top of the mb and give us an idea of your budget . Its a lot easier to help if you do

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

I agree with your statement about the core 2 duo and quads,
where is this how to ask for advice template and how do i use it. I stated my budget in an above post, which really doesn't help since it isn't set in stone, sorry

when I look at your build the thing that I think might fit the budget and be a good upgrade is

upgrade the processor to a Phenom x2 or triple core IF the mb is compatible

add a second gfx card in sli which makes an awesome gfx performer

upgrade the power supply

do you know the model number of your mb? There should be a cpu compatibility chart on the website . You might have to update BIOS

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I'll check about the BIOS update, but would these be good processor's for a budget gaming build

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-AMD-_-19103649

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

And if I put the 720 in my 95 watt am2+ socket would I Be able to overclock at all or safely (considering it's a 95 watt CPU).
Also you can put an am3 cpu in a am2 socket right, i've been confused on this for a while?

When manufacturers rate their processors at 95 watt it doesnt mean the processor uses 95 watts . It means that once you start drawing 95 watts by overclocking then you have heat problems and damage may start occuring

I would think you will OC the 720 be fine , but if its not compatible its not going to make any heat at all since it wont run .......

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Yeah I couldn't get it to open either but there is a BIOS update avalable, and the details on it say "added support for phenom II X2 and atholon II X2 CPU"
I'll contact them, but shouldn't it work Physically I mean like fit and wattage, because I assume if it works with an PHenom II X2 it would work with a x3, (should at least)

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

Isn't this usually when the CPU becomes unstable in a stress test, preventing you from damaging it (unless you overvolt to much of course)

some AMD mb's melted with 125 watt processors . I think it was the heatsink mounts but I dont really know . happend a couple of years ago and was fixed pretty quickly

Ive always assumed the cpu wattage limit was when the physical structure of the cpu , probably the thermal compound between the actual chip and the heat shield starts breaking down or just gives up

anyway the 720 be is $119

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Is $50 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

an a second xfx gtx 9800 is around $130

Total is $300

I didnt check the gfx card power connectors . I think your gfx card only uses a single 6 pin??? You need to check the psu has two of them

Solution

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

So You think the 720BE is the best CPU that would work with my mobo (me too), I think I'll get that and A PSU, and get a second 9800gtx+ later which uses two 6 pin connectors but comes with molex adapters that work well.

You answered my question, but just some quick side gripes
Will the 9800gtx+ sli combo be worth it in 8x sli?
And will I see a good performance increase with the new proc, or in otherwords is it really worth it, or should I go even higher

I think the 720 be is fantastic value and fits your budget . Pay more you get more , but I dont theink you can get better value .
You may also run in to the thermal limit of your 95 watt mb if you try using a quad

the x8 slots wont affect performance of GTX 9800's . Remeber theyre pci-e 2 x 16 slots which means theyhave double the bandwith of the first generation pci-e x 16 so having them at 8x means theyre just as fast as the first generation was at 16 x.

have a look at the processor charts on this site for the relative performance of your potential processors
the 9800 gtx sli combo might be in the gfx card charts too but if it isnt then

http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts/