Alienware Optx

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
So, i'm trying to decide whether to get 2 of these or not, I know I can get a cheaper monitor for same stats, but has anyone seen any reviews for this. I've been searching, and haven't seen any.

Solution
Here are some Alternative TN Monitors for you.
You can get two of them for about the same price as one from Alienware.
Again, I would recommend getting either the cheapest pair of TN panels you can locate or saving a bit more for a pair of IPS/PVA displays.

You are correct in you assumption, a smaller screen with a higher resolution will be very pixel dense and quite detailed from up close.
Even a 24" display with its 1920x1200 resolution, however, is quite detailed from close up...

Do not stress out about having a quick response time.
Your eye will not be able to tell the difference between a 2ms (.002 second), 5ms (.005 second) or even a 16ms (.016 second) response time.
FYI, the 60Hz refresh rate of nearly all LCD...
Wow, you're getting screwed. That stats on that thing is horrendous...

At least go 24", if not 26" if you are willing to spend that much. I know a lot of use here like the Sansung Syncmaster line (240/260 HD)...

Most important for an LCD is its Response Time; anything 5ms or less is OK for this day in age, but anything higher then 8ms can lead to ghosting (mostly due to the fact that pixel Response Time is not uniform, but <5ms is typically safe for a 60Hz Refresh Rate).

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I don't want a larger display, I wanted a smaller display, 21 is perfect for me. Plus, wouldn't the screen be more dense on a smaller size on the larger res? It's 2ms response, with 80k dynamic, but i'm trying to figure out it's static.

Here are some Alternative TN Monitors for you.
You can get two of them for about the same price as one from Alienware.
Again, I would recommend getting either the cheapest pair of TN panels you can locate or saving a bit more for a pair of IPS/PVA displays.

You are correct in you assumption, a smaller screen with a higher resolution will be very pixel dense and quite detailed from up close.
Even a 24" display with its 1920x1200 resolution, however, is quite detailed from close up...

Do not stress out about having a quick response time.
Your eye will not be able to tell the difference between a 2ms (.002 second), 5ms (.005 second) or even a 16ms (.016 second) response time.
FYI, the 60Hz refresh rate of nearly all LCD displays is equivalent to the screen switching roughly every 17ms (.01666 second).

Also be sure to ignore any Dynamic Contrast Ratio propaganda.
DCR is achieved by sacrificing what little color gamut and fidelity your TN panel has to artificially brighten bright spots and darken dark spots.
The true contrast ratio for a TN panel is usualy in the 500-1000:1 range.

Solution
Probably the best panel in that price range is the Dell 2209WA. It is an E-IPS, which will absolutely blow away any TN for color and general appearance. Otherwise, get something cheaper. There's no reason to blow $300 on a mediocre monitor when you could have one for $180.