General Use Computer Build $600

mikerags

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week, by 8-14-09

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 50% Web surfing, 20% Expression Web, 20% Photoshop, 9% Video Editing, 1% Starcraft

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers, Mouse, Keyboard, IDE DVD Drive, OS(Vista or 7)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, have Fry's local

PARTS PREFERENCES: >20in LCD, >=1TB

OVERCLOCKING: No but would attempt to unlock core if still possible?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Don't care

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like to keep it all under $600 but I am not limited. I can be convinced to spend more, but would rather not. Under $600 is fine by me as well.
I am really looking for the best bang for the buck and most economical. I was going to buy a NAS system with 2TB of memory but it was going to cost me almost as much as a computer. I have about 200GB of files to get off my laptops and onto a network drive in this computer. Decided to upgrade from my 2GHZ Celeron laptop and Acer Aspire One instead of NAS drive.
Will use this computer for editing and printing photos, some video editing, some audio encoding(MP3 to M4B) and Web Expression for building websites. Current laptop just wont cut it anymore. Hard drive will be shared over network.

Hmm you could do quiet a bit with $600 these days!You can really land a true quad instead of the lottery of unlocking too so no worries ^^ I went with the newer 95W TDP 945 cos it is reported running cooler hehe IDE is so retro - just get a SATA ODD :p
$583.37 after ship less MIR
DIGP.jpg

mikerags

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Does a high performance GPU help with Photoshop or video editing? May also be working with Solidworks on some product development which is another reason I want to upgrade.

"Also, in my opinion it would be better to go AM3/DDR3 and get a x3 CPU then go AM2/DDR2 x4"
Can you provide a bit more detail? How will the DDR3 with one less core benefit over the DDR2 with one more core? I will do some reading quickly on DDR2 vs DDR3.

For the most part tasks like those are CPU/memory intensive but the idea of a low power yet decent HD 4670 is a good one hehe
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/80129-33-video-editing-dependent

Well i can see where jbakerlent is coming from but with no performance gains from DDR2 to DDR3 and losing a core i'd still go with a quad and DDR2. The AM2+ and AM3 mobos also are similar in every sense (technology, south bridge, etc) outside the DIMM slots until 2010 when AM3 gets SB810/850 so....

mikerags

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
batuchka,
Thanks for the quick reply tonight. Got the parts in my basket, but tax is killing me $53. Happens when you live in CA and the state is broke. BTW got the recommended graphics card in the basket. I really want to double the monitor deal to a dual display but have to hold off.
I am going to wait a bit longer to see if there are any other recommendations?
I was originally going to go with a cheaper X3 2.8 but I am glad you pointed me towards the X4.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Does Zipzoomfly hit you for tax?

How big of files are you working with? Once you build, you may want to keep some money aside to add more ram if your running multiple apps with large files. Solidworks says it just needs an OPEN GL capable GPU, but list only workstation cards. Those can be expensive, but not sure if going with the 4670 will do you any good. Software needing workstation cards don't need just any GPU power, but the drivers written for the workstation cards. I'd forgo the 4670 and either get more ram or find a low end quadro or fireGL. You're looking at $150 for entry level for either line of cards.

mikerags

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Yes ZipZoom has tax as well. Problem is they are both based in CA and charge the sales tax.

I have been considering holding off on getting a video card for now. I was going to build the system and see if it is needed. If I do work with Solidworks it will be with smaller assemblies and lower detail so I don't think it will be a problem.