Sign in with
Your question

Silent Economical CPU Cooling Solution???

Last response: in Overclocking
September 30, 2011 4:26:59 PM

Hi guys, I'm currently running a Phenom II x4 945 C3 @ default 3.0Ghz. I don't plan to overclock it but I am in the market for a quieter cooler [Currently using the default OEM AMD cooler]. My budget is $30-35CDN.

What's required: A cooler that's reasonably quieter than my default AMD cooler and must also offer noticeable temperature drops. The cooler must also fit in my Antec 300 mid-size tower case.

Optional: Would be nice if the cooler can be positioned with the exhaust facing up - towards the top exhaust fan in my case.

Side Note: My room temp is usually 20-25C and I have seen my CPU temp go as high as 50C (possibly 60C during hot summer days).

This is what I have looked at so far:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_129...

Cooler Master Hyper N520
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item...

Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

September 30, 2011 5:44:45 PM

The 212 has not done me wrong. Quite, cool and fits in my case well. I don't particularly like the way the fans are "cocked" to the side on the N520.
m
l
a c 127 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 6:12:11 PM

I would favor the hyper212 because of the 120mm fan. It will be quieter than the 92mm fan on the N520.

Another good alternative is the Xigmatek gaia for $32
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

Either will be quiet, but not silent.
Either can be oriented however you choose and fit in your case.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 7:39:58 PM

It certainly won't be silent.

Silent, economical and cooling do not belong in the same sentence.

Silent cooling will be watercooling, and it's not cheap.

Economical won't be silent.
m
l
September 30, 2011 7:43:00 PM

geekapproved said:
It certainly won't be silent.

Silent, economical and cooling do not belong in the same sentence.

Silent cooling will be watercooling, and it's not cheap.

Economical won't be silent.

I know my thread title CAN be confusing.... but I'm assuming all you've done is read the thread title before making that reply *sad face*

~Coffee
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 7:57:04 PM

+1 hyper 212, the bigger fan will spin slower vs a smaller fan to move the same amount of air which means less sound. Also wanted to add, having the fan pointing towards the rear is more favorable if you have a graphics card so the fan won't be right against it and airflow is front to rear.

I have antec 300 and hyper 212+ and I only hear my front tricool fans until it goes on high.
m
l
September 30, 2011 7:57:21 PM

coffeecoffee said:
I know my thread title CAN be confusing.... but I'm assuming all you've done is read the thread title before making that reply *sad face*

~Coffee

I think "silent" has become the way to equate what your system will sound like with a new cooler/fan. "My system before was like someone vacuuming in my room, but now its silent!" Most don't take it so literally.
m
l
!