Sign in with
Your question

Silent Economical CPU Cooling Solution???

Last response: in Overclocking
September 30, 2011 4:26:59 PM

Hi guys, I'm currently running a Phenom II x4 945 C3 @ default 3.0Ghz. I don't plan to overclock it but I am in the market for a quieter cooler [Currently using the default OEM AMD cooler]. My budget is $30-35CDN.

What's required: A cooler that's reasonably quieter than my default AMD cooler and must also offer noticeable temperature drops. The cooler must also fit in my Antec 300 mid-size tower case.

Optional: Would be nice if the cooler can be positioned with the exhaust facing up - towards the top exhaust fan in my case.

Side Note: My room temp is usually 20-25C and I have seen my CPU temp go as high as 50C (possibly 60C during hot summer days).

This is what I have looked at so far:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_129...

Cooler Master Hyper N520
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item...

Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

September 30, 2011 5:44:45 PM

The 212 has not done me wrong. Quite, cool and fits in my case well. I don't particularly like the way the fans are "cocked" to the side on the N520.
a c 108 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 6:12:11 PM

I would favor the hyper212 because of the 120mm fan. It will be quieter than the 92mm fan on the N520.

Another good alternative is the Xigmatek gaia for $32
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

Either will be quiet, but not silent.
Either can be oriented however you choose and fit in your case.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 7:39:58 PM

It certainly won't be silent.

Silent, economical and cooling do not belong in the same sentence.

Silent cooling will be watercooling, and it's not cheap.

Economical won't be silent.
September 30, 2011 7:43:00 PM

geekapproved said:
It certainly won't be silent.

Silent, economical and cooling do not belong in the same sentence.

Silent cooling will be watercooling, and it's not cheap.

Economical won't be silent.

I know my thread title CAN be confusing.... but I'm assuming all you've done is read the thread title before making that reply *sad face*

~Coffee
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 7:57:04 PM

+1 hyper 212, the bigger fan will spin slower vs a smaller fan to move the same amount of air which means less sound. Also wanted to add, having the fan pointing towards the rear is more favorable if you have a graphics card so the fan won't be right against it and airflow is front to rear.

I have antec 300 and hyper 212+ and I only hear my front tricool fans until it goes on high.
September 30, 2011 7:57:21 PM

coffeecoffee said:
I know my thread title CAN be confusing.... but I'm assuming all you've done is read the thread title before making that reply *sad face*

~Coffee

I think "silent" has become the way to equate what your system will sound like with a new cooler/fan. "My system before was like someone vacuuming in my room, but now its silent!" Most don't take it so literally.
!