Win XP User access

Hi Folks,

Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
privileges??????
9 answers Last reply
More about user access

    Yes, at least I think this will work for those without administrator access.
    Navigate to the main sims folder in your programs.
    Should be something like
    C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
    Right-click on the folder, go to properties, then the sharing tab.
    Put a check mark where it says 'Share this folder on a network'.
    You can also drag the folder to the shared documents folder, but I did not
    do that, but it appeared there after I did the check mark :)
    It doesn't actually move the folder.
    Go into one of the other user accts and start the game and the game will add
    it's folder to that user's documents.
    Good Luck :)

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:18:41 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

    >Yes, at least I think this will work for those without administrator access.
    >Navigate to the main sims folder in your programs.
    >Should be something like
    >C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
    >Right-click on the folder, go to properties, then the sharing tab.
    >Put a check mark where it says 'Share this folder on a network'.
    >You can also drag the folder to the shared documents folder, but I did not
    >do that, but it appeared there after I did the check mark :)
    >It doesn't actually move the folder.
    >Go into one of the other user accts and start the game and the game will add
    >it's folder to that user's documents.
    >Good Luck :)
    >
    >"Malcolm" <malcolm34465@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
    >> only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
    >> set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
    >> privileges??????

    Thanks I'll give it a try.

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:18:41 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

    >Yes, at least I think this will work for those without administrator access.
    >Navigate to the main sims folder in your programs.
    >Should be something like
    >C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
    >Right-click on the folder, go to properties, then the sharing tab.
    >Put a check mark where it says 'Share this folder on a network'.

    >"Malcolm" <malcolm34465@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
    >> only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
    >> set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
    >> privileges??????

    Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
    advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
    NTFS file system.

    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:18:41 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, at least I think this will work for those without administrator
    >>access.
    >>Navigate to the main sims folder in your programs.
    >>Should be something like
    >>C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
    >>Right-click on the folder, go to properties, then the sharing tab.
    >>Put a check mark where it says 'Share this folder on a network'.
    >
    >>"Malcolm" <malcolm34465@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Folks,
    >>>
    >>> Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
    >>> only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
    >>> set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
    >>> privileges??????
    >>>
    > Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
    > advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
    > NTFS file system.

    Thought i should tell you too, that if you change any of the files in the
    main sims2 folder that you shared, it will affect all of the games.
    For instance, there are some hacks that require customizations of some of
    the default script files. However, each user will have their own set of
    downloads in their respective documents folder.

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
    > advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
    > NTFS file system.

    AFAIK, having NTFS does not, in any way, affect what windows does, just how
    it does it. NTFS is much faster than FAT.

    > Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
    > advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
    > NTFS file system.

    Actually, it wouldn't be a problem with FAT32 to begin with since there are
    no inherent permissions the OS can set on a FAT32 partitions. FAT32 is a
    free-for-all (and I'm not saying it's a good thing)...

    Homer,

    OK thanks for the input. I have a better understanding now.

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:09:16 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson"
    <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >> Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
    >> advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
    >> NTFS file system.
    >
    >Actually, it wouldn't be a problem with FAT32 to begin with since there are
    >no inherent permissions the OS can set on a FAT32 partitions. FAT32 is a
    >free-for-all (and I'm not saying it's a good thing)...

    > Homer,
    >
    > OK thanks for the input. I have a better understanding now.

    I hope I haven't enticed you to start using FAT32 rather than NTFS. I've
    lost too many files to FAT and FAT32 to recommend it to anyone.

    In the long run, permissions is a good thing. The fact that so many games,
    and a lot of other software is general, don't work well through a restricted
    user account is partly Microsoft fault for not enforcing it, but mostly
    other software makers for not taking this into consideration...everybody's
    in the mindset that everybody has access to everything. Convenience over
    security ("hell, it's my own damned home machine, who cares if it's wide
    open?")... I think this is finally gonna change with Longhorn, with default
    accounts being much more restricted than they are in all previous OSes...

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:46:43 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson"
    <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >> Homer,

    >In the long run, permissions is a good thing. The fact that so many games,
    >and a lot of other software is general, don't work well through a restricted
    >user account is partly Microsoft fault for not enforcing it, but mostly
    >other software makers for not taking this into consideration...everybody's
    >in the mindset that everybody has access to everything. Convenience over
    >security ("hell, it's my own damned home machine, who cares if it's wide
    >open?")... I think this is finally gonna change with Longhorn, with default
    >accounts being much more restricted than they are in all previous OSes...

    No I am sold on the NTFS file system

    Thanks

Sims Games Windows XP Video Games