  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 10, 2005 5:40:01 AM

Hi Folks,

Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
privileges??????

More about : win user access

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:40:02 AM

Yes, at least I think this will work for those without administrator access.
Navigate to the main sims folder in your programs.
Should be something like
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
Right-click on the folder, go to properties, then the sharing tab.
Put a check mark where it says 'Share this folder on a network'.
You can also drag the folder to the shared documents folder, but I did not
do that, but it appeared there after I did the check mark :)
It doesn't actually move the folder.
Go into one of the other user accts and start the game and the game will add
it's folder to that user's documents.
Good Luck :)

"Malcolm" <malcolm34465@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
> only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
> set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
> privileges??????

July 10, 2005 6:53:18 AM

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:18:41 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>Yes, at least I think this will work for those without administrator access.
>Navigate to the main sims folder in your programs.
>Should be something like
>C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
>Right-click on the folder, go to properties, then the sharing tab.
>Put a check mark where it says 'Share this folder on a network'.
>You can also drag the folder to the shared documents folder, but I did not
>do that, but it appeared there after I did the check mark :)
>It doesn't actually move the folder.
>Go into one of the other user accts and start the game and the game will add
>it's folder to that user's documents.
>Good Luck :)
>
>"Malcolm" <malcolm34465@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
>> only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
>> set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
>> privileges??????

Thanks I'll give it a try.
Related resources
July 10, 2005 6:12:20 PM

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:18:41 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>Yes, at least I think this will work for those without administrator access.
>Navigate to the main sims folder in your programs.
>Should be something like
>C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
>Right-click on the folder, go to properties, then the sharing tab.
>Put a check mark where it says 'Share this folder on a network'.

>"Malcolm" <malcolm34465@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
>> only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
>> set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
>> privileges??????

Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
NTFS file system.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:12:21 PM

> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:18:41 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes, at least I think this will work for those without administrator
>>access.
>>Navigate to the main sims folder in your programs.
>>Should be something like
>>C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
>>Right-click on the folder, go to properties, then the sharing tab.
>>Put a check mark where it says 'Share this folder on a network'.
>
>>"Malcolm" <malcolm34465@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> Just installed the Sims on my Windows XP Home Edition PC. It seems the
>>> only one who can play is someone with Administrator privilege. Can't I
>>> set it up so everyone can play, even if they don't have administrator
>>> privileges??????
>>>
> Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
> advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
> NTFS file system.

Thought i should tell you too, that if you change any of the files in the
main sims2 folder that you shared, it will affect all of the games.
For instance, there are some hacks that require customizations of some of
the default script files. However, each user will have their own set of
downloads in their respective documents folder.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 8:31:59 PM

Malcolm wrote:
> Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
> advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
> NTFS file system.

AFAIK, having NTFS does not, in any way, affect what windows does, just how
it does it. NTFS is much faster than FAT.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:09:16 PM

> Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
> advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
> NTFS file system.

Actually, it wouldn't be a problem with FAT32 to begin with since there are
no inherent permissions the OS can set on a FAT32 partitions. FAT32 is a
free-for-all (and I'm not saying it's a good thing)...
July 13, 2005 4:47:46 AM

Homer,

OK thanks for the input. I have a better understanding now.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:09:16 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson"
<root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>> Yes that appears to have worked by sharing the folder. Thanks for the
>> advice . I guess that would still be a problem if you did not use the
>> NTFS file system.
>
>Actually, it wouldn't be a problem with FAT32 to begin with since there are
>no inherent permissions the OS can set on a FAT32 partitions. FAT32 is a
>free-for-all (and I'm not saying it's a good thing)...

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:46:43 PM

> Homer,
>
> OK thanks for the input. I have a better understanding now.

I hope I haven't enticed you to start using FAT32 rather than NTFS. I've
lost too many files to FAT and FAT32 to recommend it to anyone.

In the long run, permissions is a good thing. The fact that so many games,
and a lot of other software is general, don't work well through a restricted
user account is partly Microsoft fault for not enforcing it, but mostly
other software makers for not taking this into consideration...everybody's
in the mindset that everybody has access to everything. Convenience over
security ("hell, it's my own damned home machine, who cares if it's wide
open?")... I think this is finally gonna change with Longhorn, with default
accounts being much more restricted than they are in all previous OSes...
July 15, 2005 4:13:53 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:46:43 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson"
<root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>> Homer,

>In the long run, permissions is a good thing. The fact that so many games,
>and a lot of other software is general, don't work well through a restricted
>user account is partly Microsoft fault for not enforcing it, but mostly
>other software makers for not taking this into consideration...everybody's
>in the mindset that everybody has access to everything. Convenience over
>security ("hell, it's my own damned home machine, who cares if it's wide
>open?")... I think this is finally gonna change with Longhorn, with default
>accounts being much more restricted than they are in all previous OSes...

No I am sold on the NTFS file system

Thanks
!