Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Drivers
  • Intel
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2009 2:57:03 PM

I am hoping someone can help me find or "even if they are available" the drivers to run SLI in an Intel D975XBX.

I am currenty running an X6800, with 3 GB of 667mhz RAM with a XFX 8800GTX. I would like to run two 8800GTs or 8800GTS (G92), since I have a 750watt PSU with two 6 pin connectors.

Does anyone know if drivers exist for the 8800s, I know heard of older drivers for 7 series GPUs, but I sure I get better performance out of my single 8800GTX then two 7 series, but I am sure I would get much better performance out of two 8800GTs or 8800GTS (G92).

Thanks for your time.

More about : sli drivers intel d975xbx board

a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
August 28, 2009 3:07:44 PM

You might be able to find some hacked drivers but there were never any official drivers.
August 28, 2009 3:22:55 PM

Do you know where I can find hacked nVidia drivers??
Related resources
a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
August 28, 2009 3:40:46 PM

No, IIRC it was Alienware that used to offer SLi on an Intel board.
August 28, 2009 3:49:28 PM

Looked under alienware, for the driver support for D975XBX, no video drivers, just Motherboard drivers. I guess, I am just gonna have to get a SLI board, but since this is just my old system, and I am working on a new system (750i with 9800GTX+). I might just forget about it. I guess, I just wanted to keep this system up and running and try to get more performance out of it.

Now, my son's system, 780i with E8400 and 9800GTX+ in SLI, that is nice.

But, anywhooo.......... if you find anything, let know. I will be looking for a cheap SLI board that can run the X6800 and 667mhz RAM and just swap out the boards.
August 28, 2009 4:32:29 PM

Did a little bit of searching and found 84.66 modified drivers and a 80 series set of modified drivers. Will these work with 8800s. ?
a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
August 28, 2009 4:38:56 PM

I've never tried it, I think Alienware were doing their hacked driver thing before they got taken over and even then it was either the 6 or 7 series that they worked with but I can't remember for certain. The 84.xx drivers may not recognise the G92 as it didn't exist at the time the driver was written.
August 28, 2009 5:42:17 PM

I see your point on the older drivers, they would not recognize the newer G92 chip.

I still have not gotten the two 8800GT, looking around to get two at the same time. So I am still debating about my next steps. Since I do have two working systems, and trying to build a third up to date, (not really, won't be an i7).

But the hobbiest in me, wants to keep this system up and running.

Thanks for your input.
August 28, 2009 5:53:58 PM

The badaxe which is the motherboard doesn't do sli, and sli is hardware based people. I don't know if people notice but the X58's do have a nvidia 200 chip on them for sli, so that's why they are able to do it and the P55's also. Now the D975BX does do cross fire.
August 28, 2009 6:06:14 PM

kg4icg said:
The badaxe which is the motherboard doesn't do sli, and sli is hardware based people. I don't know if people notice but the X58's do have a nvidia 200 chip on them for sli, so that's why they are able to do it and the P55's also. Now the D975BX does do cross fire.

Sorry you're wrong. Most X58 boards do not have the n200 on them. All that is needed to run SLI on X58 is that nVidia certifies the boards individually and then allows the motherboard makers to add a BIOS string that the drivers recognize and allows SLI to be enabled. SLI was never hardware limited it was an artificial software limitation set up by nVidia to sell their own chipsets. The reason they allowed X58 to run SLI is that nVidia doesn't have a license to produce chipsets for LGA1366 based CPU's. If you look back to the original (nVidia's not 3dFX) SLI, it was enabled on an Intel chipset.

As for P55, nVidia doesn't even certify the boards anymore. The motherboard maker pays $30 000 up front and then a few dollars per board sold to use the BIOS string.
August 28, 2009 7:05:36 PM

No problem in being wrong but it still doesn't change the fact the Bad Axe is crossfire only.
a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
August 28, 2009 7:15:06 PM

kg4icg said:
No problem in being wrong but it still doesn't change the fact the Bad Axe is crossfire only.

At no point has that been disputed, it's the reason why and that's because no one has written a driver or BIOS string to enable SLi, which is possible, in theory.
August 29, 2009 4:41:26 AM

One would think that since the BIOS string is just used to identify itself to the drivers, someone that's familiarwith with assembly should be able to look through the bin file and find the string. Then it would be a fairly simple matter of modding BIOS's for other non X58/P55 boards. That is until nVidia realizes what's going on and changes everything.
August 31, 2009 2:56:24 PM

First, I want to say, "that I really appreciate the number for replys to my Post", I post the same topic over at nVidia forum, 28 views, not one reply. Not a very good forum in my opinion.

I was able to snag up two 8800GTs on Friday for $120, so I will be getting them this week or early next week. I am going to try the older drivers and then try some newer drivers and if it don't work, I will just put them away and save them as back up cards. So worst case, I have some spare GPUs.

I will not argue with the fact the 975X is a Crossfire board, but considering that some got SLI to work, (although with 7 series), the aspect to run SLI is there, hopefully with 8800GTs.

Thanks again.
!