Sign in with
Your question

Network Storage

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2009 9:04:00 AM

Basically, I want to buy a some pieces to build myself a network storage computer in the near future. I'll follow the "How to ask for advice" guide to make everything more easy to read :) 

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
In the near future.

BUDGET RANGE:
Around €400, but I don't mind spending a bit more if there is a good reason for it.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
File sharing. Obviously, this system would sit around doing nothing most of the time. Perhaps I might make it run Folding@Home.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
  • 550W Power supply -- it might be a bit overkill, but it's the only one I've got lying around.
  • 3 x 1TB Samsung hard drives (HD103UJ)
  • a case
  • A screen, keyboard and mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
    Unless there's a site with cheaper prices, I'd be buying my stuff from www.alternate.be. As this shop is reasonably close to my home, I could pick up the parts myself.

PARTS PREFERENCES:
    Motherboard:
  • RAID 5
  • onboard graphics.
  • Preferably socket 775, but AM2+/AM3 is fine as well.
  • Alternate.be only has these brands available: ASRock, Asus, EVGA, Foxconn, GigaByte, MSI, XFX

Processor:
  • Whatever fits the motherboard and does the job.

Memory:
  • 2GB of whatever fits the motherboard and does the job.

Harddrives:
  • 3 x 1TB Samsung hard drives (HD103UJ)

OVERCLOCKING:
    No.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:
    No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
    Irrelevant.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
  • Quiet. This PC might end up in my bedroom. This might involve buying a new PSU after all.
  • Low power.
  • 6 x 1TB hard drives in RAID 5: Is this a good idea?
  • It would be nice if the motherboard is a socket 775, but I've noticed it's hard to find a socket 775 motherboard with RAID 5 and onboard graphics.
  • More about : network storage

August 8, 2009 9:25:44 AM

I forgot to mention, this is what I currently had in mind:
  • ASRock A790GMH/128M AM2+
  • AM3 Athlon II X2 245
  • 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 5-5-5-15
  • 3 x 1 TB Samsung HD (HD103UJ)

Total: €394
    August 8, 2009 2:52:34 PM

for the 6x1TB i would recommend spending money and getting an 8 port RAID card (something decent aka adaptec would be great but very expensive)

i used:
    Asus M4A785TD-M EVO
    AMD Athlon II X2 245
    Geheugen 2x1GB DDR3-1333 Kit
    3x1TB Samsung HD
    came to €402

High Point Rocket RAID 2320
    http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=...
    though this part is €299
    Related resources
    August 8, 2009 7:58:09 PM

Thanks for the reply :) 

Buying this €300 part would mean going a bit above budget, though. Do you reckon there will be a large difference in performance using the raid card. I guess it would mean that there would be many more possibilities in terms of choosing a motherboard.

I know your personal quote says you're done helping people with AGP and P4's, but as I would not need a motherboard with a raid controller, could I not use my old P4 pc with a 3.0Ghz processor and plop in the raid controller + 6 hd's?

Cheers,
    Saew
    August 9, 2009 9:21:34 AM

Hmm... Ofcourse it wont fit on my old P4, it doesn't have a PCIe slot.
    My 939 computer has several PCIe slots, but power efficiency is not one of its best areas :/  I guess it could do though.
    a b G Storage
    August 9, 2009 1:58:47 PM

You should first determine what OS you plan on using as the OS is what will really determine your hardware requirements. There are a few choices like; FreeNAS, Openfiler, Ubuntu, or Windows Home Server.

FreeNAS is a great NAS OS with minimal hardware requirements whereas Windoze Home Server has the hardware requirements of a regular pc.

Also, a hardware RAID card is the better option over mobo RAID especially if you plan on using RAID5. ANd yes, there is a noticiable performance difference between the two. If mobo RAID5 then you require a more powerful cpu as opposed to a cheaper/less powerful cpu with a hardware RAID ontroller due to offloading the parity calculations to the controller card.
    !