Children's game recomendations

Hi all,

Just loaded 750 headers and didn't see my question answered. However if I
had spent a lot of time looking, I would have seen something.

As this is the Sims NG, hoping that someone could do some homework for me:

The Sims 2
The Sims 2 Nightlife
The Sims 2 University
The Sims Collection
The Sims Deluxe
The Sims Double Deluxe
The Sims Mega Deluxe
The Sims Online
The Sims: Expansion Collection Volume 1
The Sims: Expansion Collection Volume 2
The Sims: Expansion Collection Volume 3
The Sims: Hot Date
The Sims: House Party
The Sims: Livin' Large
The Sims: Makin' Magic
The Sims: Superstar
The Sims: Unleashed
The Sims: Vacation

Are all the titles I could find. Is there one recommended for children b/w
the ages of 8-12? Both boys and girls.

I am going to have to leap to the conclusion that there is not some
subversive message trying to recruit them to a cult, or hurrying them to
create mayhem, or am I wrong?

I will tell you this, they were playing SimCoaster and SimTheme Park (which
were designed by Bullfrog NOT Maxis [Electronic Arts]) and they spend a lot
of time playing them.

So, a little help would be appreciated.

(Now I have to go talk to the 4 year old, she's playing with oily rags,
matches, and a bobcat right now. grrrr)
29 answers Last reply
More about children game recomendations

    ng_reader wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just loaded 750 headers and didn't see my question answered. However
    > if I had spent a lot of time looking, I would have seen something.
    >
    > As this is the Sims NG, hoping that someone could do some homework
    > for me:
    >
    > The Sims 2
    > The Sims 2 Nightlife
    > The Sims 2 University
    > The Sims Collection
    > The Sims Deluxe
    > The Sims Double Deluxe
    > The Sims Mega Deluxe
    > The Sims Online
    > The Sims: Expansion Collection Volume 1
    > The Sims: Expansion Collection Volume 2
    > The Sims: Expansion Collection Volume 3
    > The Sims: Hot Date
    > The Sims: House Party
    > The Sims: Livin' Large
    > The Sims: Makin' Magic
    > The Sims: Superstar
    > The Sims: Unleashed
    > The Sims: Vacation
    >
    > Are all the titles I could find. Is there one recommended for
    > children b/w the ages of 8-12? Both boys and girls.
    >
    > I am going to have to leap to the conclusion that there is not some
    > subversive message trying to recruit them to a cult, or hurrying them
    > to create mayhem, or am I wrong?
    >
    > I will tell you this, they were playing SimCoaster and SimTheme Park
    > (which were designed by Bullfrog NOT Maxis [Electronic Arts]) and
    > they spend a lot of time playing them.
    >
    > So, a little help would be appreciated.
    >
    > (Now I have to go talk to the 4 year old, she's playing with oily
    > rags, matches, and a bobcat right now. grrrr)

    Please note that The Sims and The Sims 2 are entirely different games. The
    Sims (and all of it's expansion packs) have much more primitive graphics and
    more simplistic gameplay. You must have and install The Sims before you
    install any of it's expansion packs, as they will not work on their own
    without the basic game. Same with The Sims 2, and it's only expansion pack
    currently available, the Sims 2 University.

    That said, there is very little about either game that makes it off limits
    for children. The original Sims (and expansions) have the option to "play
    in bed" but all the action takes place under the covers. Births are
    extremely simplistic as babies simply appear in a shower of flower petals.
    Sims only die if you kill them (by walling them up or taking away their pool
    ladder or something like that). Therefore, it's probably more suitable for
    younger children. There is very little violence in the game.

    The newer version of the game, the Sims 2, is much more pleasing to the eye,
    and more sophisticated in every other way as well. The option to "try for
    baby" now appears in the menu for activities in bed, as does "woohoo", in
    both the bed and the hot tub. Sims have aspirations and personalities,
    wants and fears. Depending upon the aspiration, a sim might want to woohoo
    with great scads of other sims, even have public woohoo. Also, by the very
    nature of the game, the sims age, grow old and eventually die, to return as
    ghosts. Every sim will grow old and die unless you play the game with
    "aging off" which defeats the whole point of the game. House building is
    much more realistic in Sims 2.

    I leave you to draw your own conclusions from this as to what exactly your
    children can handle and what they can't. Both of these games are "life
    simulation" games where your children basically play God and can make the
    little creatures do what they want them to do.

    Jeanie

> [...]
    > both the bed and the hot tub. Sims have aspirations and personalities,
    > wants and fears. Depending upon the aspiration, a sim might want to
    woohoo
    > with great scads of other sims, even have public woohoo. Also, by the
    very
    > nature of the game, the sims age, grow old and eventually die, to return
    as
    > ghosts. Every sim will grow old and die unless you play the game with
    > "aging off" which defeats the whole point of the game. House building is
    > much more realistic in Sims 2.
    >
    > I leave you to draw your own conclusions from this as to what exactly your
    > children can handle and what they can't. Both of these games are "life
    > simulation" games where your children basically play God and can make the
    > little creatures do what they want them to do.

    Thanks Jeanie.

    My 11 YO niece liked the part where she can make the sims go on dates. I
    *guess* that is playing god. ;)

    <snip>

    Thanks Maxon.

    So, you think that in England (or some other english speaking country)
    perceptions might be different of the game play, huh. That's curious.

    I'll make a note, and thanks for your thorough answer.

    Ted

    mmm - I meant that the age rating seems to be different in the States than
    it is here and if you want to use that as a guide then you can act
    accordingly. I suppose that's why it's written on the box.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >
    > Thanks Maxon.
    >
    > So, you think that in England (or some other english speaking country)
    > perceptions might be different of the game play, huh. That's curious.
    >
    > I'll make a note, and thanks for your thorough answer.
    >
    > Ted

    >As for suitability for children, it depends, I suppose on where you live.
    >The game has a higher rating in America than it does in Europe and the rest
    >of the world and Sims 2 is higher than Sims 1. Sims 2 is also extremely

    In Europe both the Sims 1 and Sims 2 are rated 7+.

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:05:18 +0200 Strider wrote:

    > Maxis doesn't seem to release more than one European and a US
    > version, that's probably why even in Scandinavia the game has the UK
    > recommendation of 7+.

    Germany has its own release: no age restriction at all. Toddlers can play
    it if they wish to ;)

    Dorte

    I'm surprised Sims 1 is even rated at that - it's really such an innocuous
    game in its raw state. Wait, I just had a look at the boxes - the initial
    game and Livin' Large both don't have any age recommendation on them at all.
    I bought the game way back when it first came out (1997?) so maybe they
    added the age certificate when they released Deluxe - I notice you can't buy
    the original game on its own now. It may be that the legislation came into
    effect here after the game was initially released, I suppose. I also notice
    Hot Date has a rating of 15 (???) - crikey! I know it's about dating but I
    would have thought it was hardly racy enough to merit that. In fact, in
    some ways it'd be a good game for younger teenagers to try out. An age
    limit of 15 is terribly conservative for that expansion.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message

    > >As for suitability for children, it depends, I suppose on where you live.
    > >The game has a higher rating in America than it does in Europe and the
    rest
    > >of the world and Sims 2 is higher than Sims 1. Sims 2 is also extremely
    >
    > In Europe both the Sims 1 and Sims 2 are rated 7+.

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:23:54 +0200, Dorte Schünecke
    <schueneckeDELETE@web.de> wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:05:18 +0200 Strider wrote:
    >
    >> Maxis doesn't seem to release more than one European and a US
    >> version, that's probably why even in Scandinavia the game has the UK
    >> recommendation of 7+.
    >
    >Germany has its own release: no age restriction at all. Toddlers can play
    >it if they wish to ;)

    Strange. Are you sure the game can only be installed and played in
    German? Because the UK version comes with a lot of European languages
    including German. If the german version is different then why include
    German? Who cares about age recommendations anyway:-)

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:16:56 +0200 Strider wrote:

    > Strange. Are you sure the game can only be installed and played in
    > German? Because the UK version comes with a lot of European languages
    > including German. If the german version is different then why include
    > German? Who cares about age recommendations anyway:-)

    I installed it in English. It's the same version as any other on this
    planet, with many installable languages. It just doesn't have an age
    restriction because the people responsible for this in Germany didn't think
    it necessary (and I agree).

    Dorte

    On 10 Jul 2005 12:57:32 -0700, "Admiral DanielSBen"
    <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote:

    >Depending on how mature your children are, any Sim game should probably
    >be fine for a 12 year old. For 8 year olds, it might be best to just

    Is this where I should feel bad about letting my 9 year old nephew
    play Half-Life, Soldier of Fortune, Battlefield etc. ? :-p

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:12:30 -0400, "ng_reader"
    <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >My 11 YO niece liked the part where she can make the sims go on dates. I
    >*guess* that is playing god. ;)

    Religious issues aside, so would letting her play with dolls be, it's
    just more advanced.

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:44:23 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >mmm - I meant that the age rating seems to be different in the States than
    >it is here and if you want to use that as a guide then you can act
    >accordingly. I suppose that's why it's written on the box.

    Don't you think it's funny that in a society full of crime, poverty,
    violence, war, and millions of people, millions of children, who can
    barely afford food, and cannot afford basic healthcare..... have no
    access to proper education etc... that they're banning or regulating
    videogames, tv and movies, and branding Harry Potter the devil's
    servant? Meanwhile all the good, christian, upstanding citizens are
    running around armed to the teeth screaming about doomsday...

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:26:50 +0200, Dorte Schünecke
    <schueneckeDELETE@web.de> wrote:

    >> German? Because the UK version comes with a lot of European languages
    >> including German. If the german version is different then why include
    >> German? Who cares about age recommendations anyway:-)
    >
    >I installed it in English. It's the same version as any other on this
    >planet, with many installable languages. It just doesn't have an age
    >restriction because the people responsible for this in Germany didn't think
    >it necessary (and I agree).

    They probably have the British age recommendation in Norway because
    they didn't bother to change the cover:-)

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:26:30 +0200 Strider wrote:

    > They probably have the British age recommendation in Norway because
    > they didn't bother to change the cover:-)

    Yeah, likely :)

    Dorte

    Guardian Pegasus <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:44:23 GMT, "Maxon"
    ><jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>mmm - I meant that the age rating seems to be different in the States than
    >>it is here and if you want to use that as a guide then you can act
    >>accordingly. I suppose that's why it's written on the box.
    >
    >Don't you think it's funny that in a society full of crime, poverty,
    >violence, war, and millions of people, millions of children, who can
    >barely afford food, and cannot afford basic healthcare..... have no
    >access to proper education etc...

    In this reality those things are being adressed.

    >that they're banning or regulating videogames, tv and movies, and branding
    >Harry Potter the devil's servant?

    'They' who?

    (And do you think it impossible that a country of hundreds of millions
    of people can actually do more than one thing at a time?)

    >Meanwhile all the good, christian, upstanding citizens are running around
    >armed to the teeth screaming about doomsday...

    Ah. Bigotry and stereotypes - the idiots friend.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

    "Dorte Schünecke" <schueneckeDELETE@web.de> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:05:18 +0200 Strider wrote:
    >
    >> Maxis doesn't seem to release more than one European and a US
    >> version, that's probably why even in Scandinavia the game has the UK
    >> recommendation of 7+.
    >
    > Germany has its own release: no age restriction at all. Toddlers can
    > play
    > it if they wish to ;)
    >
    > Dorte

    Actually, toddlers here in the USA can play it too if their parents let
    them. LOL They have
    an age recommendation on the box, that's all, but as far as being
    restricted on playing, nobody is
    restricted from playing the games. It's left up to the parents if they
    want their children of various ages to play.

    Betty

    > I'm surprised Sims 1 is even rated at that - it's really such an
    > innocuous
    > game in its raw state. Wait, I just had a look at the boxes - the
    > initial
    > game and Livin' Large both don't have any age recommendation on them
    > at all.
    > I bought the game way back when it first came out (1997?) so maybe
    > they
    > added the age certificate when they released Deluxe - I notice you
    > can't buy
    > the original game on its own now. It may be that the legislation came
    > into
    > effect here after the game was initially released, I suppose. I also
    > notice
    > Hot Date has a rating of 15 (???) - crikey! I know it's about dating
    > but I
    > would have thought it was hardly racy enough to merit that. In fact,
    > in
    > some ways it'd be a good game for younger teenagers to try out. An
    > age
    > limit of 15 is terribly conservative for that expansion.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    I believe The Sims came out in early 2000 or maybe latter part of 1999.
    Gee how time passes!

    Betty

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:51:29 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons)
    wrote:

    >>Meanwhile all the good, christian, upstanding citizens are running around
    >>armed to the teeth screaming about doomsday...
    >
    >Ah. Bigotry and stereotypes - the idiots friend.

    Am I the one burning books, invading countries, and labelling all
    things that don't jive with my particular beliefs "anti-american"?

    Thought not... try looking the word bigot up.

    I had brain surgery in early 1999 - my memory for that period is abysmal.
    But I thought I had the game before I had my operation - maybe not. As I
    say, I really can't remember so I'll take your word for it.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    >I had brain surgery in early 1999 - my memory for that period is abysmal.
    > But I thought I had the game before I had my operation - maybe not. As I
    > say, I really can't remember so I'll take your word for it.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >

    > "Betty" <cyberbg2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I believe The Sims came out in early 2000 or maybe latter part of 1999.
    >> Gee how time passes!
    >>
    >> Betty

    The Sims came out in February of 2000

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:34:33 +0200, Dorte Schünecke
    <schueneckeDELETE@web.de> wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:26:30 +0200 Strider wrote:
    >
    >> They probably have the British age recommendation in Norway because
    >> they didn't bother to change the cover:-)
    >
    >Yeah, likely :)

    Yes, well I really thought so, but then I took a closer look at the
    cover and found this web-address below the age recommendation:
    www.pegi.info. Germany is one of the countries that doesn't use this
    system. Parents and religious groups have been involved with this
    thing and it has the support of the European Commission which is a
    good reason why we should simply ignore it in Norway:-) I wish we had
    a government that didn't run and hide every time the EU frowns, and
    we're not even a member of the damned thing:-)

    Guardian Pegasus <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:51:29 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>Meanwhile all the good, christian, upstanding citizens are running around
    >>>armed to the teeth screaming about doomsday...
    >>
    >>Ah. Bigotry and stereotypes - the idiots friend.
    >
    >Am I the one burning books, invading countries, and labelling all
    >things that don't jive with my particular beliefs "anti-american"?

    I don't know - are you? The Christians I know certainly are not.

    >Thought not... try looking the word bigot up.

    When you start labeling classes and applying stereotypes - you're a
    bigot.

    D.
    --

    "Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>Thought not... try looking the word bigot up.
    >
    > When you start labeling classes and applying stereotypes - you're a
    > bigot.

    No you are not. Bigotry refers to what 'you' believe in, not to your
    opinions of other people's beliefs.

    4/10. Please try harder.

    GCA

    "Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:YfhBe.69314$G8.44246@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

    > "Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>>Thought not... try looking the word bigot up.
    >>
    >> When you start labeling classes and applying stereotypes - you're a
    >> bigot.
    >>
    > No you are not. Bigotry refers to what 'you' believe in, not to your
    > opinions of other people's beliefs.
    >
    > 4/10. Please try harder.
    >
    > GCA

    Yes, I've missed you too! :)

    Betty

    Ah - you're back.

    Hmmm

    > Ah - you're back.
    >
    > Hmmm

    Huh. Some people don;t know the difference between bigotry and intolerance.
    And some idiot used words guaranteed to attract a troll, or at least start
    another flame war.

    My next lecture will about the misuse of the word amenity.
    Don't talk to me about common usuage. 8(((

    GCA

    Technically your own beliefs about another persons beliefs ARE bigotry if
    they are intolerant.

    *sad smile*

    As my mother always says - "I hate bigots!"

    --
    Morituri Nolumus Mori - Rincewind, The Last Hero, Terry Pratchett

    MM

    "Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
    > Just a little thread necromancery to explain a few things....
    >
    > Of Age Descriptions: Frankly, I'm kind of shocked that people would let
    > your avererage 7 year old play some of these games (before you call me
    > an old fuddy-duddy, let me tell you that I'm 18 and think a lot of

    <snip>

    Note: Please post political stuff if/when you grow up.

    Hey, don't be too hard on the kid. Some of us adults have a grand ole' time
    unleashing all sorts of hazards on our cyber citizens. ;-) My 4yo daughter
    loves playing The Sims. She loves decorating houses and making "Princess"
    sims that have babies. I usually play with her, or install hacks that
    prevent Sims from dying. (Even though she *loves* ghosts and frequently
    asks Mama to "buy her" some more. Mama found just moving her into a lot
    with a ton of tombstones fixed that "want".)

    Sharon

    "Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
    >I once 'played' SimCity 4
    > with a 6 year old, the son of my dad's best friend. He... didn't get
    > it. He could launch tornadoes at poor sims, but barely understood
    > zoning or money, let alone tax rates (note: don't give SimCity to kids
    > who haven't done fractions yet).

Sims Games Video Games