Western Digital External Hard Drive Problem

lil_devil_1971

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hello,
I loaned my WD external HD to a friend for a couple days and came back non working(problem 1). after removing the hd from the enclosure i hooked it up inside my comp, formatted it, finally got it to work but when i try to put it back into the enclosure it wont work. does it need to have a special partition on it to make it boot? if so can anyone tell me what i need to do to get it to work? My HD model is: WDBAAF0010HBK-NESN
Thanks in advance

Your drive is a My Book Essential 1TB. If you examine the USB-SATA bridge board inside the enclosure, you will probably find an Initio INIC-1607E IC. This chip implements AES hardware encryption, whether or not you have set a password. This means that your data will appear as gibberish if you connect it directly to your motherboard, after formatting the drive in its enclosure. Similarly, if your format the drive inside your PC, and then install it in your enclosure, the data will once again be gibberish.

BTW, the usual fault with the enclosure is a physical connection issue with the micro-USB connector.