Low power, video editing system under $500

memming

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next week
BUDGET RANGE:$500-$600
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Heavy multitasking via web applications, video editing (non-HD, using adobe premier elements, but will upgrade as funds become avail)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speaker

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer intel, but also open to AMD

OVERCLOCKING: Most likely

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

- I want a quite and cool PC. Low power consumption/good power efficiency is necessary, except for the times when I actually do CPU intensive operations (video encoding and stuff).
- I prefer fast RAM and high clock CPU; I don't need quad core.
- On board graphics is okay. Or if I can use my old ATI (AGPx2), that'll do for now. Later I'll upgrade to a descent graphics card.

Thanks bros!!!

Solution
Win7ecrig.jpg

memming

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

Thank you for your quick reply.
I have a newbie question.

The MOBO you recommended has a 1GB DDR3 sideport memory which seems to be used for the on board ATI HD 4200.
I don't understand how this triple channel DDR3 thing works, but don't I need 3 same DDR3 memories?
I'll have 2 GB x 2 DDR3 and 1 GB separately if I build the system as you recommended.

Also, how is the overclocking capacity of the MOBO/CPU combination?

1. It means u can set video ram up to 1GB in BIOS and it will not eat up system RAM. This sideport memory is independent of system RAM
2. Its a dual channel 4 DIMM mobo so run DDR3 memory in pairs and ya same frequency

3. I have personally built on far cheaper AM2+/DDR2 mobos (personally and for clients) with 710 like Biostar TA760G: I can actually OC whilst undervolting @ 1.17V @@ This is designed as an enthusiast mATX even hehe

4. My documented project log running with P2X3 710 including temps, clocks, volts and pics with a far far humbler mobo :p
http://forums.vr-zone.com/troubleshooting-zone-technical-enquiries/354565-the-making-fatcat-quadcore-htpc-4.html
It runs super cool considering you getting considerable processing power under the hood IMO