External hard drive does not show up.

BrianBrianBrian

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hello.

My WD external hard drive doesn't show up in 'My Computer' or 'Disk Management'. I have checked in on multiple computer and it does not display on any.

It lights up though.

Does anyone know what the cause could be, or how to fix it?

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
This sounds like it might be a case of the drive losing its formatting. If you have windows visa or 7, go to the search box in the start menu, type "disk management", and select the tool called "create and format hard disk partitions". In this tool, you will be able to see all the different storage devices connected to your computer, and the format of each of them. See if the drive is listed at all, and if so, if it has a format associated with it or if it's all just 'free space'.

BrianBrianBrian

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Okay, so i said it does not display in "disk management" I can not access, or locate, or detect it in anyway to format or the change drive letter.

However I've been using it with XP, I tried it with Windows7 and it worked fine and I could access it. So I'll be taking all my data off.

And since my data isn't lost to me, Problem solved... I guess.

taleamsystems

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Question: External hard drive does not show up.

Answer: Click on "Start" and search for "Disk Management" and then delete the partition that does not have a letter. Now create a new partition and choose the letter you want. That's all. Your hard drive should now be ready.

I am a computer technician in Ottawa, Canada.
Please email me if I solved your problem or if you are still having problems with your hard drive let me know. I will be happy to answer your question. Visit my website http://www.taleamsystems.com/