Sign in with
Your question

Questions on SSD

Last response: in Storage
May 21, 2011 10:06:02 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a HDD 7200 RPM Cache - 32MB Average Latency - 4.16ms. If I upgrade to a SSD can I set the SSD as my main raid and the HDD as secondary so I can use recording programs for the high end games and run games of ssd. Or should I just get two HDD with 10,000 RPM? let me know and if you have a good place to buy or link of a product that would be appreciated.

So once again i want to be able to record my games and run off the other drive.

More about : questions ssd

a c 143 G Storage
May 22, 2011 12:03:10 AM

Are you asking is it better to run a SSD the main OS and the HDD for games & programs than HDD for storage? If so, this is the better option than running two 10,000 RPM drives in a RAID0.

I would go with Newegg.com for your components, if it is an option!
m
l
May 22, 2011 12:30:30 AM

tecmo34 said:
Are you asking is it better to run a SSD the main OS and the HDD for games & programs than HDD for storage? If so, this is the better option than running two 10,000 RPM drives in a RAID0.

I would go with Newegg.com for your components, if it is an option!

Yup but wouldn't i have the games running on the SSD because it's better since the HDD would be running my recording? and are there any good videos or link on how to RAID0? Kinda not sure and i want to make sure I'm going to be doing it correctly. I'm looking at a Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM for $40. I'm thinking i should buy one since it's cheap and an SSD.
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 G Storage
May 22, 2011 1:30:37 AM

Yes... I would run the games on the SSD and use the hard drive to record. As for a Raptor, I'm running my games off of my VRaptor and have the programs & OS installed on the SSD, which leaves USER folder and storage on a 1TB drive.

I have seen any good videos on RAID setup but I would recommend doing your research first before setting it up.
m
l
May 22, 2011 2:11:17 AM

Thanks for answering my questions! you recommend any particular SSD? Under $170?
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
May 22, 2011 2:15:11 AM

If you are going to be running a RAID0 setup, I would go with the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB & if you are going with a SATA III board, I would go with the Crucial C300 64GB
m
l
May 22, 2011 2:29:46 AM

I'm probably going to RAID0 for better performance but what exactly does SATA III board do and how do i know if I can use it. Also my very last question. My motherboard has SATA RAID 0/1/0+1/5/JBOD so i would be fine without needing to but a raid card correct?
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
May 22, 2011 3:20:42 AM

irnewb said:
I'm probably going to RAID0 for better performance but what exactly does SATA III board do and how do i know if I can use it. Also my very last question. My motherboard has SATA RAID 0/1/0+1/5/JBOD so i would be fine without needing to but a raid card correct?

1) SATA III is the newest SATA controller found on the newer motherboards, like the P67/Z68 boards (for example). It provides 6.0 Gb/s speeds versus 3.0 Gb/s speeds seen with SATA II controllers. If you provide me your motherboard make and model, I can verify if it has SATA III or not.

2) Yes... you will be fine with your motherboard for a RAID setup (no RAID controller required)
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
May 22, 2011 6:48:50 PM

The board does not have SATA III but you can still use a SATA III drive. It will just run at lower speeds than what is advertised for the device on a SATA III.
m
l
May 22, 2011 7:22:36 PM

Right, well thanks for all your info. You are very helpful. I'm going to be buying that SSD and performing RAID0
m
l
May 24, 2011 4:03:20 PM

Sorry tecmo34 I hope your still here to help me :)  I'm leaving for Texas tomorrow and as soon as I get back I will have my 2 new SSD drives and a power supply so I'm going to RAID them. It seems to be very easy to do and the only 2 questions I have now since i can't find them anywhere online are. When I link them together I only need to install window 7 once right? because it will install on both SSD correct? The reason why I'm asking is because my school gives us a free downloadable copy of Win 7 Pro and the Serial Key can only be used once and I would have to e-mail the company and let them know what I'm doing so i can use it twice. My other questions is what should be installed on what SSD? Would using the main SSD JUST for games and the second SSD for everything else like motherboard drivers, video drivers, Anti-Virus, and so forth. If you have a better way please let me know if that's correct or a wrong.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
May 25, 2011 1:06:34 AM

1) Yes... when you link them together you'll only have to install Windows 7 once.

2) You will get better individual performance with RAID0 but you'll be at a point your setup is bottlenecked by the controller (faster than the controller's speed). Also, you run the risk of a higher possibility of data lost by a RAID0. If you are looking to add one drive for OS, Programs.. etc and one for games, you would be better off getting one large SSD drive (equal to or greater than the RAID0) versus two and run everything off one... IMO
m
l
!