E8400 problem OC

Hi guys, so BF3 demo is out and I planned to OC my E8400 before I upgrade my system. I have run into a problem however. I originally jumped up my CPU frequency to 3.2 by increasing the host frequency. Now however, when I try to jump to 3.4 CPU Frequency (378x9) it does not stay at that level; in the CPU-Z program it shows that it drops to 2.4GHz (when it is 3.0 on standard) and the multiplier drops from 9 to 6. What is going on and how can I keep it going at 3.4? Thanks for any feedback!
4 answers Last reply
More about e8400 problem
  1. Turn off speedstep in BIOS.
  2. RJR said:
    Turn off speedstep in BIOS.

My apologies I didn't post my motherboard, its a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L. Ill try finding "speedstep" in there though I don't remember that in there.
  3. Look in the "Advanced BIOS Options"for the SpeedStep setting. It will be called "EIST" (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology).

I turn off SpeedStep while I am developing my OC settings. Then I turn it back on when I am finished. If you monitor CPU speed with CPU-Z, you can see the speed increase and decrease automatically with a changing CPU load.

For more help on overclocking:
    Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html
    It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or from AUTO to 2.00. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 333 MHz, your memory clock should be at 667 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

With a good after market cooler (Hiper 212+ or better), you should be able to easily reach 3.6 GHz and many E8400's will reach 4.0 GHz.

Keep you load temps under 70 C and your core voltage under 1.45 volts.
  4. jsc said:
    Look in the "Advanced BIOS Options"for the SpeedStep setting. It will be called "EIST" (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology).

I turn off SpeedStep while I am developing my OC settings. Then I turn it back on when I am finished. If you monitor CPU speed with CPU-Z, you can see the speed increase and decrease automatically with a changing CPU load.

For more help on overclocking:
    Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html
    It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or from AUTO to 2.00. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 333 MHz, your memory clock should be at 667 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

With a good after market cooler (Hiper 212+ or better), you should be able to easily reach 3.6 GHz and many E8400's will reach 4.0 GHz.

Keep you load temps under 70 C and your core voltage under 1.45 volts.

Ok So I disabled it but I am still going between 2400 MHz on a 6 Multiplier and 3600 MHz on a 9 multiplier. =/
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Battlefield Overclocking