Sli GTX295 or not

I'm currently building a new system to replace by dead system (limping on a vgn-ar630e laptop atm). But i'm being told to wait for directx 11. Problem is due to companies being hush hush and even on the lowest settings Fallout 3 is slugish let alone crysis on my laptop.

So should I wait? Buy 1 gtx295 or simply just get it in SLI?
12 answers Last reply
More about gtx295
  1. At what resolution is gaming to take place and whats the budget all in with GPU?
  2. what does your build consist of?
  3. Please use the link and format in the HOW to ask for build advise in my sig.
  4. wait, 1 5870 GPU will be as powerful as a GTX295 let alone two 5870 GPU's.
  5. obsidian86 said:
    what does your build consist of?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14738688

Anonymous said:
    Please use the link and format in the HOW to ask for build advise in my sig.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269365-31-system

So I'm building my 3rd pc and here is the link

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/ [...] r=14738688

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 14 AUG 09

BUDGET RANGE: US$3k

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming!!!!! surfing the web and movie(U.S. Blu-Ray)/anime watching

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor (it's Westinghouse L2410NM). Note monitor will be replaced a few months later...

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg.com)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nividia and Intel

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (never attempted)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to play Blue Ray (I normally get the blue ray version). I'm unsure as to get a blue ray burner as the disk are little expensive... Is the 2TB hard drive over kill, I tend to store large video files and leave games installed? Note I want the windows 7 upgrade coupon. Also keep in mind I don't care much for sound quality...
  6. Based on the list you linked to, I only have one suggested change:

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB - Drop the WD drives, especially the Velociraptor. This Seagate alone will give similar performance (especially when RAID'ed) for less money. You could grab 3 of these for the same price as your current drive setup. And no, the Velociraptor will not make any difference in gaming performance. The i7's are so fast that adding a 10,000 RPM drive with super fast seek times is not going to give any tangible difference in performance.

Edit: Don't bother getting a pair of GTX 295's. I have 2 and it really makes no difference.
  7. drop the 2 gtx295s an get 2 gtx285s wich will perform jus as good on 1920x1200 only reason to justify 2 gtx 295s is on a 2 42'' 2560x1920 screens@ 8 aa 16 af but since you going evga look at the evga 760i board an any recent 7200rpm drive from wd will perform jus as well as the velociraptor at a better price if you want the fatest get an ssd drive
  8. So get the 2GB 285 or orignal?
  9. the orginal super clocked will be just fine the 2gig version is jus a fad
  10. 2 gtx 285s in sli is a killer combo considering a 295 is basically jus 2 275s
  11. only reason for a 2 gig is if your gaming at 2480x1152 or 2560x1600 in SLI/tri and then only a handful of games like crysis or tom clanceys hawx. more than 3 gpu's on 1920x1080p/1200p is pointless and still its pretty much overkill for everything except crysis and some physx games. speaking from experience here as i run 3 evga ftw's 1 gig version which have the some of the highest clocks around.

long story short. i would either get 2 or 3 285's (oc is a plus) or get 3 evga 275 FTW's if u want more than two gpu solution for a little less $$. those can out perform the 285 (stock speed only) and scales as well. take the saved cash and wait for direct x 11 cards to hit the market and mature just a little.
  12. Well I guess I wait until Oct due to being force on the road for couple of months.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Laptops SLI Systems Product