Sign in with
Your question

Turbo boost

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2011 6:12:19 AM

Hiya,

Just overclocking my 2600k (4.4GHz with a Noctua d14) and I was wondering if I should disable the turbo boost or not... I know keeping it enabled throttles down the multiplier to around 16x when its not under load... is it better for wear and tear to leave it like this or to disable it for the constant 44x ?

Cheers

More about : turbo boost

October 1, 2011 9:53:55 AM

bboynk said:
Hiya,

Just overclocking my 2600k (4.4GHz with a Noctua d14) and I was wondering if I should disable the turbo boost or not... I know keeping it enabled throttles down the multiplier to around 16x when its not under load... is it better for wear and tear to leave it like this or to disable it for the constant 44x ?

Cheers

if you want your core to work on 4.4 all the time, disable it.
m
l
October 1, 2011 12:40:52 PM

right... but my question was, is it better for wear and tear to leave it like this or to disable it for the constant 44x ?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 1, 2011 4:47:56 PM

bboynk said:
right... but my question was, is it better for wear and tear to leave it like this or to disable it for the constant 44x ?

do you want it to be 4.4 all the time? which will of course take more power and heat and reduce its life i believe? but most people i know, they disable it when OC exceeding 4Ghz. thats just imho.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 3, 2011 1:16:10 PM

With the unlocked K processors leaving Turbo on isn't that big of a deal if you're stable. On more complex overclocks with much more going on, you almost have to shut it off when going for high overclocks, like my 920 i7.

If you're stable the choice is up to you. You undoubtedly set voltage manually, so leaving it on doesn't really save that much power as the voltage won't throttle except the little extra turbo adds, but that's only under heavy load.

m
l
October 3, 2011 8:50:43 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
With the unlocked K processors leaving Turbo on isn't that big of a deal if you're stable. On more complex overclocks with much more going on, you almost have to shut it off when going for high overclocks, like my 920 i7.

If you're stable the choice is up to you. You undoubtedly set voltage manually, so leaving it on doesn't really save that much power as the voltage won't throttle except the little extra turbo adds, but that's only under heavy load.

so if we OC to lets say 4.5 ghz with the turbo boost on, it will declock to 3.3ghz when idle right? and when we play games that requires high performance, it will be oced to 4.5 again? cmiiw
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 3, 2011 9:10:56 PM

Your CPU will only hit the OC clock once you start stressing it (read: aything CPU intensive).

Besides that it will revert back to stock speeds, unless you enable or disable certain BIOS features.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 3, 2011 9:33:16 PM

Yeah It'll throttle down and then spool back up under load
m
l
October 4, 2011 4:55:12 AM

Chainzsaw said:
Your CPU will only hit the OC clock once you start stressing it (read: aything CPU intensive).

Besides that it will revert back to stock speeds, unless you enable or disable certain BIOS features.

so it wont go back up 4.5 ghz under heavy games like Crysis ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2011 1:35:20 PM

magicvipre said:
so it wont go back up 4.5 ghz under heavy games like Crysis ?

It will. Only when idle it will go down to stock.
m
l
October 4, 2011 7:38:13 PM

Chainzsaw said:
It will. Only when idle it will go down to stock.

isnt that great? i dont see why people want to make it 4.5 ghz all the time lol
m
l
!