RAID with internal and external drives

trojan1303

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
hey everyone! so my local best-buy had a kick-ass deal on a WD Elements 2TB external hard drive that i juts couldn't pass up. Currently i have a 1TB internal drive with my OS on it, along with a 500GB internal drive. i would like to format my Elements drive int maybe a 500GB portion to put random files in and use with other 1.5TB and the internal 500GB hard drive as a RAID, but im not sure is this is a good idea or not.

Im i was looking into it and i found out that software RAIDs don't help if you loose your OS and form what i can tell my motherboard(ASUS P5Q) doesn't have a hardware RAID. So is making a raid configuration really going to help me?

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
RAID arrays are more high performance than that. The drives in a RAID array should be directly connected to your RAID card or your motherboard. Perhaps your external drive connects using an eSATA port on your motherboard? If so, you might be able to use that drive in a RAID array controlled by your motherboard.

However, if you are serious about a RAID array, you should be using high performance, identical internal drives and a dedicated RAID controller card. That's what I'm doing.