Mushkin 996599/gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p freezing

xdaznboi

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I just upgraded my computer with a new gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p and 2x2gb mushkin 996599 ram and a new corsair 750w power supply..
i get random freezing while i am using my computer...
i've played around with the voltage settings for the ram...

im running a q6600 core 2 quad kentsfield.
other than that, my bios is default.. no overclocking on anything else.

1.8 will freeze at the welcome screen for windows 7
182 up to 1.88 will run, and then i get random freezing..

1.9 freezes around the loading/welcome screen of windows 7
i've tried 2.0, and I got stuck at the welcome screen..

im just wondering if anyone has a similar build that can give help me set a stable bios... thanks guys.

i've used a burn-in software to test my computer.. and .. its a 32 bit, so i was only able to select 1gb of ram.. i set it on 5 tests, and it usually freezes midway 2-3...

im new with overclocking/voltage business.. so i need some major assistance.. thanks!

bilbat

Splendid
First thing - download a copy of MemTest86+:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.iso.zip
and burn the iso to a CD to make a bootable RAM tester that will comprehensively test all of your RAM...

If you haven't yet done it, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
******** DRAM Performance Control ********
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"

Check that the RAM itself was set to 2.1V by the load optimized; if not, do so manually, by:
"System Voltage Control" to "Manual"
"DDR2 OverVoltage Control" to "+0.3"

<F10> to save & reboot...

Boot to MemTest disk, run at least a full pass...

If successful, try booting to OS...

If problems, take out one stick, test the remaining one; if error, likely bad stick; else - exchange sticks & test other one - should point out the culprit...

xdaznboi

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

bilbat

Splendid
Sorry for the delay - I'm temporarily busier than a centipede learning to tapdance... I can give you an effective overclock for your system, that will be 'easy on the hardware', risk-free, take less than an hour to do, and will be noticeably quicker - but I really prefer that it be done with some (any) kind of cooling solution other than the stock Intel HSF. The problem is that the Intel sink is really made for a CPU running stock speed with all the 'green goodies' enabled - and those are the first things that 'gotta go' for OC stability. I do not recommend agonizing over which HSF can extract the last ERG of heat, or spending a lot - unless you're going to take it 'balls to the wall', any damned thing other than the Intel will do - and if you are 'headed for the wall', you're better off 'under water' anyway... I often recommend Arctic sevens:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
as they're reasonably priced, and are very efficient; but, I've recently done a couple of systems for 'buddies of a buddy' on the cheap, used these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114073
(they were ~$14 at the time - 'ya gotta watch the 'daily deals'!), and got a 25% OC on one, and 35% on the other, in less than twenty minutes (minus memory stability testing time) each...