Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon HD 4830 - Blue screen randomly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2009 9:56:06 PM

My machine randomly restarts itself. It says it was a blue screen when I send a report to Microsoft but i do not see a blue screen at all.
I hate AMD.

Saying that the blue screen was caused my drivers for my display adapter.

the card has a nice big fan on it and two big case fans.

I had 6GB of ram installed. for a while. when I found out that 6GB was way too much for a 32-bit OS. It just blue screened about 20 minutes ago so I decided maybe I should take that 2GB of ram out and leave in the 4GB

I was going to post on eBay to sell it when I first built it then decided I liked it so much that I would keep it since it was my first machine I built. Here is what I typed up as a summary.

Overall Rig:
-ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

-OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply

-Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory (2x)

-Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJB 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive (should of got a sata. long story)

-HP Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R

DVD Burner

-APEVIA X-SUPRA G-Type X-SUPRAG-BL Black / Blue SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit

*AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor:
-Makes it quick & easy to open up many applications while multitasking.
-2.90 GHz
-Socket AM2

*Hard, Solid Asus Motherboard:
-Great Motherboard, Great Manufacturer, Great Support
Memory
-Supports up to 8GB DDR2 1066 RAM (4x240pin), Channel is Dual.
Expansion Slots
-1 PCI Express 2.0 x16
-1 PCI Express x1
-2 PCI Slots
CPU Supported
-Socket AM2+/AM2
-CPU Type: Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2
-FSB: 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
Video
-ATI Radeon HD 4830
Rear Panel Ports
-6 x USB 2.0 ports
-6 Audio Ports
-Video Ports
-D-Sub + DVI + Display Port
Physical Specs
-Micro ATX Form Factor
-24 pin power connector
-Demensions are 9.6" x 9.6"
[User manual included]
[Drivers disk included]

*DVD Drive:
HP Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R

DVD Burner

*PSU(Power Supply):
-Awesome power supply. Nothing beats a 600W OCZ StealthXStream. Comes with many cables. You definatley don't need to worry about limited

connectors. This is a hardcore gaming kinda power supply unit.
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Specifications
-Type: ATX12V / EPS12V
-24 pin main connector
-Internal 120mm Fan
-Voltage Protection
-600W
-6 pin PCI Connectors
-Input Voltage: 100 - 240 V
-Input Fequency Range: 50/60 Hz
-Output: +3.3V@36A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,
+12V4@18A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3.0A
-PFC: Ready
-Connectors: 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4/8Pin)
6 x peripheral
3 x SATA
2 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E

*2x 1GB 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) Kingston HyperX Memory:
-Decription Says it all.
-This is simple the best RAM ever!
-Nice look too!

* Western Digital Caviar WD2500AAJB Hard Drive:
- This is a great HDD. Plenty of Storage. Seems to be very fast. I haven't seemed to go wrong with Western Digital. Noise reducing technology

results in a nearly silent drive, perfect for home and business environments. Boasts the lowest operating temperature of any hard drive in

its class.

Specs:
-Capacity is 250GB
-7200 RPM
-Interface: IDE Ultra ATA100
-Cache: 8MB
-Form Factor: 3.5"

*Blue & Black APEVIA X-SUPRA G-Type Case:
Ahh Yes.. the beauty, the body, the structure, the design, its the case! I love this blue and black two tone case with large side window.

Specs
-ATX Mid Tower
-Color: Blue/Black
-Material: Steel
-Motherboard Campatibility: ATX, Micro-ATX, BABY AT
-Power button, Reset button, Fan Controller

Expansion
-5 External 5.25" Drive Bays
-2 External 3.5" Drive Bays
-3 Internal 3.5" Drive Bays
-7 Expansion Slots

Front Ports (Located on the top of the case)
-USB2.0, HD Audio, IEEE 1394

Cooling System
-has two fans: 1 in the back and a more larger fan on the side window. Keep the inside nice and cool.
-1 x 120mm Rear Fan
-1 x 120mm Blue LED Side Fan

Demensions
-20" x 8" x 18" (D x W x H)

*Logitech S120 Speaker System:
-Simple and easy two use Logitech speaker system.

Specs
-Power: 2.3W
-Frequency Response: 50Hz - 20kHz

*OS (Operating System):
-Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 32bit Operating System.
August 28, 2009 11:03:12 PM

Right click on My Computer>properties>Advanced tab> Startup and Recovery Settings>Under System Failure, uncheck the box to Automatically restart. The next time your computer fails, you should get a blue screen (bsod) with a STOP ERROR: code. You can then look up the code or post it here for assistance.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2009 11:04:26 PM

First off, "-Awesome power supply. Nothing beats a 600W OCZ StealthXStream. Comes with many cables. You definatley don't need to worry about limited connectors. This is a hardcore gaming kinda power supply unit."

Obviously from a qualified reviewer with access to high-quality equipment and a rigorous testing methodology. Pfffft! This OCZ is OK, but easily beaten by others. And it may be the source of your problem.

Drivers, heat, power, memory issues, and vid card are the issues to go after, in sequence. Drivers and Heat because they are easy . . . Power because its almost always the issue . . . memory because you have had some issues . . . and if all else fails, the vid card.

So:
- Remove all vid drivers and download a fresh copy of the latest drivers and test again.
- Download CPUID hardware Monitor, watch temps, and see if there is a correlation between your BSOD's and heat.
- Remove as many mem sticks as you can and still run. Check that your specific memory parameters are used in BIOS, not "auto". Re-test.
- If you can, test the vid card in another system.
- Then suspect the psu :) 
Related resources
August 30, 2009 1:25:02 AM

ok i downloaded CPUID and it shows that my cpu and greaphics card are running almost on max. im very concerned. im not sure what to do right now. im very worried.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2009 2:00:12 AM

I don't recall CPUID Hardware Monitor ever telling me my stuff was "running on max".

Please be specific, or we cannot help you.

What did you do, what did you see, what are the temps, and when?
August 30, 2009 2:36:44 AM

i thinks its mostly my video card. a friend of mine is saying that his temperatures are much higher than mine and his machine is fine. but on the other-hand his machine is different than mine.
August 30, 2009 2:40:27 AM

just found out that i had the cool 'n' quiet turned on for my processor. looks to me like my processor fan speed was slowing down because of the cool 'n' quiet feature. cpu temp is much better now. i turned on cool 'n' quiet before i took that image.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2009 3:23:31 AM

joedood said:
http://i28.tinypic.com/sdphzs.jpg

i thinks its mostly my video card. a friend of mine is saying that his temperatures are much higher than mine and his machine is fine. but on the other-hand his machine is different than mine.

Those temps are absolutely fine. Did you do the other stuff?
August 30, 2009 4:24:23 AM

Well, for a few months I had 2 gigs. now I tired to install 4 more when I found out my operating system could not support 6 gigs i had 6 gigs installed for about a month until yesterday when I decided to remove 2 gigs and just leave in 4 gigs because I thought that was my problem. I haven't had any problems since yesterday. Its only been a day so I'm not really sure if removing some memory will solve it. I have noticed a major problem with Firefox. For some reason it sometimes decides that it doesn't want to close when I "close" it. I guess it is be because it is still trying to retrieve information from sites. When I I close it and it doesn't really close my cpu sky rockets. and I notice a major difference in my CPU temperature. When I end it in task manager the temperature and usage in my processor decrease dramatically.

update drivers yes
Download CPUID yes
Swap video card no
I did not swap my video card because I do not have another machine that has a PCI Express 2.0 X16 expansion slot.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2009 5:01:36 AM

Its quite possible your mobo is one of those that doesn't play nicely with 4 slots full of memory.

If it fails again, re-install the original 2G ONLY.

If that fails re-install ONE stick of the 2GB memory ONLY.

If that fails re-install the OTHER stick of the 2GB ONLY.

Then come back and let us know.
August 30, 2009 5:21:40 AM

wow. Thanks a lot. I couldn't aggree more.
September 1, 2009 1:39:59 AM

just happened again. im so confused.
February 8, 2012 4:21:18 AM

Just a shot in the dark, but do you happen to be overclocking the video card while also running dual monitors? Seems to be a problem with sapphire HD 4830 and 4850 cards where the driver crashes/BSOD/reboots ect. when overclocking while running dual monitors. If this isn't the case then I wish you luck on your gremlin hunting! If it is simply either stop overclocking the video card or disable the secondary monitor and all should be well.
!