Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Laptop: Screen Flicker

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 6, 2004 11:31:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I just got a brand new ASUS M6B00N laptop with 15.4" WXGA screen.

When plugged in to AC power, there is an intermittent flicker on the
screen. It happens infrequently, and it is very slight.

I worry that there may be a problem with the inverter or backlight.
But I wonder if it may simply be related to the quality of AC power.
(I am not running it through a UPS or line conditioner.)

Is it possible for a laptop display to be sensitive to the AC power
source, causing the screen to flicker? Or is there a good chance that
I simply have a defective laptop? I am hesitant to send it back
because the problem is so intermittent, they may never see it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.



--
Dave

More about : laptop screen flicker

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 3:52:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

DaveR wrote:
>
> I just got a brand new ASUS M6B00N laptop with 15.4" WXGA screen.
>
> When plugged in to AC power, there is an intermittent flicker on the
> screen. It happens infrequently, and it is very slight.
>
> I worry that there may be a problem with the inverter or backlight.
> But I wonder if it may simply be related to the quality of AC power.
> (I am not running it through a UPS or line conditioner.)
>
> Is it possible for a laptop display to be sensitive to the AC power
> source, causing the screen to flicker? Or is there a good chance that
> I simply have a defective laptop? I am hesitant to send it back
> because the problem is so intermittent, they may never see it.

It's possible that the correct video drivers weren't installed, or
the refresh rate is improperly set.

Larry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 4:02:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

DaveR <NOSPAM_drubin@NOSPAM_i-2000.com> wrote in
news:lsiaQKxZGNHMMGSui0kU=s7gZLMx@4ax.com:

> Is it possible for a laptop display to be sensitive to the AC power
> source, causing the screen to flicker?

i would definetly give tech support a call if you are still within
warranty, or maybe try to track down a dealer, bring in your laptop, use
THEIR AC-Adapter on YOUR laptop and see if it still shows problems. You
can also bring in your AC adapter and see if it causes problems using their
outlet... this will just help you troubleshoot a little further.

i have some pretty weak/dirty power at my home, and while it doesn't affect
my laptop, it definely affects my 19" monitor.
Related resources
May 7, 2004 4:26:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Thu, 06 May 2004 23:52:25 GMT, Lawrence Glasser
<lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

>DaveR wrote:
>>
>> I just got a brand new ASUS M6B00N laptop with 15.4" WXGA screen.
>>
>> When plugged in to AC power, there is an intermittent flicker on the
>> screen. It happens infrequently, and it is very slight.
>>
>> I worry that there may be a problem with the inverter or backlight.
>> But I wonder if it may simply be related to the quality of AC power.
>> (I am not running it through a UPS or line conditioner.)
>>
>> Is it possible for a laptop display to be sensitive to the AC power
>> source, causing the screen to flicker? Or is there a good chance that
>> I simply have a defective laptop? I am hesitant to send it back
>> because the problem is so intermittent, they may never see it.
>
>It's possible that the correct video drivers weren't installed, or
>the refresh rate is improperly set.

It has the latest drivers, and the refresh rate is at 60Hz which is
the only possible choice (it is meaningless for an LCD).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 9:24:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

DaveR wrote:
>
> I just got a brand new ASUS M6B00N laptop with 15.4" WXGA screen.
>
> When plugged in to AC power, there is an intermittent flicker on the
> screen. It happens infrequently, and it is very slight.
>
> I worry that there may be a problem with the inverter or backlight.
> But I wonder if it may simply be related to the quality of AC power.
> (I am not running it through a UPS or line conditioner.)
>
> Is it possible for a laptop display to be sensitive to the AC power
> source, causing the screen to flicker? Or is there a good chance that
> I simply have a defective laptop? I am hesitant to send it back
> because the problem is so intermittent, they may never see it.

What happens when the laptop's powered by battery?

Larry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 9:24:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in news:409BC645.EDB47450
@spamcop.net:


> What happens when the laptop's powered by battery?

im pretty sure he indicated it works fine.... that's why its good to test
to see whether or not the AC adapter is messing up the proper current.
May 10, 2004 5:18:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Fri, 07 May 2004 13:51:20 -0500, Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

>Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in news:409BC645.EDB47450
>@spamcop.net:
>
>
>> What happens when the laptop's powered by battery?
>
>im pretty sure he indicated it works fine.... that's why its good to test
>to see whether or not the AC adapter is messing up the proper current.

Yes, I have not noticed the problem on battery. To be honest, I hardly
ever notice the problem at all. Once in awhile, I do see brightness
fluctuations, but I'm afraid it is so subtle that if I return the
laptop, tech support may not be able to replicate it.

I do notice the same brightness fluctuations when the laptop first
awakens from standby mode, until it fully warms up (about 30 sec).
So I wonder, can bad AC power, or a bad power supply, cause these
types of problems?

My main concern is that the LCD or inverter is bad, and might fail
down the road. Since I have 30 days to return the laptop for any
reason, I might want to do that if it is likely that it is defective
(i.e. do these subtle flickers indicate a problem).

Thanks for your responses.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 14, 2010 10:24:16 AM

well, im only suggesting, but, could the laptop have a ambient light senser (detetects light) and thus changing screen brightness if needed

take it outside with it on lowest setting, and see if it brightens up
!