2gb of Ram Installed...1gb Recognised

So installed on my motherboard i have 2x1gb of Kingston HyperX PC3200.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ BIOS Version F6 (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1775).

The problem i'm experiencing is that windows (XP SP3) and the BIOS is only detecting half of the installed RAM. However, when running cpu-z it detects all of what is installed in the two slots on my mobo. I reinstalled windows a few weeks back and that did not solve the problem (not that i thought it would, reinstalled it for other reasons).

So i'm looking for a solution to my problem. I'm reluctant to flash the bios to a later version as I only have a vague idea of what to do and can't find any conclusive guides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about installed recognised
  1. I should also add that the memory is low density and with only one stick of the memory installed all of it is recognised (attempted this with BOTH sticks of memory). So the issue is not due to the memory being in-compatible or a faulty ram slot.

Ram specs: http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX3200A_1g.pdf
  2. Any ideas?
  3. take an eraser and rub the gold plate contacts...then put them back in their slots. then look into the mobo and see if theres anything in the slots. The problem can be isolated to only the modules as i had the same problem when i fired my old rig...2 sticks would show up as half the amount until they died
  4. I know both modules work fine, because i've tested them both separately. When one is installed all 1gb is shown, but when the other is added it isn't recognised.

Using a rubber on the gold pins is stupid, do you want me to waste my money?
  5. then theres something with the motherboard slots and maybe the PSU isn't delivering enough power to the board
  6. The motherboard's slots are fine, when using previous ram all of it was recognised and currently both slots are recognised by cpu-z. I did consider the power being an issue but i can't see why as bios is set to +0.1v and i recently upgraded my PSU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory BIOS Motherboards