Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Strange problem with my PC

Last response: in CPUs
November 3, 2009 11:03:53 PM

here's the deal ...

my PC was up and running quite normally . but now, every 6 or 7 days it shuts down automatically ... while i am working .

the monitor light keeps blinking(no display) but " CPU LIGHT IS ON and i can hear the fans running" . so i switch off the main supply . remove the monitor cable , and connect it in a diffferent slot in my ups (my powercom UPS has 3 slots to connect cables) .. and switch back the system on .. now it works properly

the problem is this cycle repeats every 6 or 7 days . so every week i take the monitor cable and connect it in a different slot and restart my system

1. why the computer shuts down by itself ?
2. if its really shut down , why s the fans and cpu still runnning ???
3. is there a problem with my UPS or monitor ?? because my system powers up normally when i insert the monitor cable in a different 3pin hole in my ups but again - only for a week . again i ve to put it i another 3pin hole . i ve been doing this for 6 weeks ....
my config
------------
500W PSU - Zebronics
2gb ddr2ram
core 2 duo 2.66 GHZ
XFX 9800gt

More about : strange problem

a b à CPUs
November 3, 2009 11:21:42 PM

it might be ur PSU dying, but it sound very strange for a PSU dying
m
l
November 3, 2009 11:37:29 PM

but if i remove and connect the monitor power cable , it starts working properly ... is it really my psu ??? i thought it wuz my monitor cable or ups !!!
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2009 6:41:59 PM

yeah like i said very strange for a dying PSU to do this

make sure that all the cables are connected properly
m
l
a c 207 à CPUs
a c 78 C Monitor
November 4, 2009 7:17:48 PM

Have you tried taking the UPS out of the equation ? Or are we confusing PSU and UPS ?
m
l
November 4, 2009 9:55:37 PM

system works only when i switch the monitor power cable thru a dtfferent 3pin hole .... into my UPS ..... i don think its my psu causing the problem ... its the ups rite ???

but why 1 week ??? this happens exactly every 6-7 days .. i ve noted the dates .... that is so weird ! if i switch the cable on 5th of november ... nothing happens till 11th or 12th of nov .....and on 12th - again the problem occurs ......
m
l
a c 207 à CPUs
a c 78 C Monitor
November 4, 2009 11:20:16 PM

Again....your monitor has two wires:

The signal cable which connects to your video card.
The power cable which connects to a household current power source.

None of the go to your PSU (Power Supply Unit) which is inside the case, takes household current in and outputs 3.3, 5 and 12 volts.

Now a UPS is an Uninterruptible Power Source. These units are generally used to condition household current and provide a few minutes of backup power during a power outage. based upon your 3 pin comments.....I assume you are talking about the power cord carrying household current from the UPS to your monitor.

You don't "need" a UPS to run a PC and it sounds like the batteries in yours are getting old or that the software is doing something funky. Again, I am guessing at this point because of the terminology assumptions. You can take the UPS out of the equation by substituting a standard 6 plug power strip with surge protection and using it instead of the UPS.

m
l
November 6, 2009 11:16:16 PM

hei i was wrong about the duration .. now often my system doesn't start .

when i swich on the system , sometimes nothing appears on the screen (monitor light blinking) but all cpu and card fans running . but sometimes it boots up normally ... Also when i shut down - normal shut down process is done , but again motherboard light s ON and all fans continue to run ...(this also happens often) and the only way to come out of it is to switch off the main power)

i cant conclude if its my UPS , mother board or the PSU causing the problem .. it cant be my ram because sometimes it "does" boot up normally . so v can remove ram out of the question ....

PLS help guys i cant be replacing all of my pc components . which one s causing this problem !if u guys can narrow it down to one .. i can replace tht alone
m
l

Best solution

a c 207 à CPUs
a c 78 C Monitor
November 8, 2009 1:48:54 PM

Again, it was Sherlock Holmes who made famous the process of eliminating all the possible alternatives and then the one you have left is the answer. Until you take the UPS out of the equation, we aren't getting anywhere. And are you sure you have a UPS....big thing with bunch of outlets and heavy batteries inside ?
November 8, 2009 11:30:56 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Again, it was Sherlock Holmes who made famous the process of eliminating all the possible alternatives and then the one you have left is the answer. Until you take the UPS out of the equation, we aren't getting anywhere. And are you sure you have a UPS....big thing with bunch of outlets and heavy batteries inside ?

hei . i ain that bad ... i know what a UPS is :)  ... i think its my power supply ..
also when i start any game . ups starts giving long beeps (possibly due to ovwerload power) after it get pasts the main menu of any game . SO i think its my PSU ....

can u suggest some good ones for xfx9800gt
m
l
a c 207 à CPUs
a c 78 C Monitor
November 11, 2009 3:44:57 PM

OK then so I suggest taking the PSU plug outta the UPS and plugging it in the wall and see if anything changes.

For PSU sizing, I use this.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Depending on your budget

Top tier - Antec SG or CP, Corsair HX
Next Antec TP / Corsair TX
m
l
!