Sign in with
Your question

I set up my liquid cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
October 2, 2011 12:01:16 AM

Now when I was testing it first it leaked a bit because I tightened the bards too much and the rubber rings squeezed out too much but its fine now but in time I know it will leak one day and it will probably be when I am not using it.

Okay so guys I have a Phenom 965 and obviously its an AMD cpu and I hear AMD doesn't have the feature that automatically shuts your computer down when the cpu gets too hot. So is there any software that I can use for an AMD cpu that will shut my system down if the water leaks and the cpu temp skyrockets.

More about : set liquid cooler

October 2, 2011 2:06:04 AM

The option for the CPU overheat safety should be dependent on your motherboard. My ASUS Crosshair IV has the options to shutdown on your choice of temperature of various components. It's a AM3 board.

You should always leak test your loop a minimum of 24-hours before using. (arbitrary number)

Jumper your PSU to run the pump and nothing else to ensure you won't kill your components if water happened to get on them. Use the link i provided to know how to jumper it. Just don't use a paperclip ;)  use a short piece of wire. It's safer.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-powe...
October 2, 2011 2:06:31 AM

I think you can change those settings in the bios (I can't remember what I did when I set that feature), which would mean that it's a motherboard feature and not a CPU feature.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 2:52:01 AM

You can setup CoreTemp and RealTemp to shut down when your CPU reaches a certain temp you set...there are also places to configure scripts to run when a temp is reached as well. Just create a .bat file and include the following via notepad or text editor (excluding info in parenthesis):

@echo off
shutdown /s (normal shutdown)

@echo off
shutdown /f /s (forceful shutdown)

@echo off
shutdown /r (restart; can also include /f)

@echo off
shutdown /h (hibernate computer)

It's a great idea to create one of these and include as part of your temp monitoring solution to kick off if something were to happen and your temps spiral out of control and you can manage when exactly you want your machine to shut down. Also setting your temp monitoring to start on system logon is a good idea as well.

If you have any questions on it, just ask...we use Windows server logon/logoff and other scripts all the time at work, as well as Linux/AIX/UNIX CRON jobs (which doesn't typically apply to most on the forums here). If you can't set a program to kick off by normal startup/logon configs, you can always get a logon script for push it for you.
October 2, 2011 3:38:14 AM

volks1470 said:
The option for the CPU overheat safety should be dependent on your motherboard. My ASUS Crosshair IV has the options to shutdown on your choice of temperature of various components. It's a AM3 board.

You should always leak test your loop a minimum of 24-hours before using. (arbitrary number)

Jumper your PSU to run the pump and nothing else to ensure you won't kill your components if water happened to get on them. Use the link i provided to know how to jumper it. Just don't use a paperclip ;)  use a short piece of wire. It's safer.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-powe...

Yes thats what I did the old green wire hack but thats not the question anyway.

My motherboard is an AM3 board by Asrock yet I see no option to shutdown on temp in the bios.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 3:46:37 AM

Most modern motherboards and CPUs will shutdown on thermal ceiling...but most of us would rather have our systems shutdown prior to reaching those temps. That's why having a fail-safe shutdown by temp monitoring is a good backup.
October 2, 2011 11:16:18 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Most modern motherboards and CPUs will shutdown on thermal ceiling...but most of us would rather have our systems shutdown prior to reaching those temps. That's why having a fail-safe shutdown by temp monitoring is a good backup.

Thanks for telling me about Core Temp. Yea it has the shutdown option built in so I won't be making a windows batch because it would be pointless.

But of course its handy to have I mean I know windows script quite but at the end of the day I just want the shutdown feature so thanks for the Core Temp it seems like a nice program now I can leave my PC running whenever I leave and not have to worry.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 4:30:30 PM

Yeah, its a decent option...just another one to keep handy.
!