Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2009 10:05:22 PM

Alright. So about a week ago, I went to my local computer store and bought all the components. Heres the list;

Cooler Master CM 690

Antec BP-500U Basiq 500W Continuous Power Supply

Intel Core Duo E7400

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL PI Black Series DDR2 800MHz (PC2-6400) 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit

Seagate Barracuda (ST3500418AS) 7200.12 SATA 3.0Gb/s 500GB 16MB Cache

LG (GDR-H30N) 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Black, OEM

Shappire ATI Radeon 4770 512MB

--------------------------------

So here's the problem. I went and tried to install Windows 7 onto the computer, and it shuts down for some reason. When I start it back up again, it says that an error occurred, and that I would need to shut down and restart the installation. So I restart it. It gives me the same message.

I then do that about 20 times and it continues to give me the same message. So I go into the boot menu for the MB,and check all the stuff.

It says that the CPU is running at 103 degrees Celsius, and that the system is running at only 30 Celsius. The motherboard has these 4 lights and they represent the CPU load, and they're all on, which means the CPU is working at full,so it says. It doesn't even feel hot and I have 4 fans including the CPU fan running.

I also went into HDD settings, and I turned on I think, AHCI or something similar, and it goes forward to a different screen saying that the windows 7 installation screwed up and I would have to restart the computer and then turn it on and instert the intall disk blah blah. It also gives me the options to start the computer normally. I do the former first, and it doesn't work. It goes to the same screen. So I press Start Normally. It goes to the Windows 7 start up screen, and as the four blobs of colour are starting to come together, it freezes, and the computer shuts off, and then restarts itself. After that, the computer starts to turn on, and then turns off, and then restarts, and keeps doing that, and the monitor won't turn on most of the time. And when it does, it only works for so long, and then shuts off and restarts the cycle.

So I get it to get to the MB setup screen, and I shut off the AHCI, as this shut off restart business only started to happen after i turned it on. Then the computer goes to the screen with the options of starting normally etc, so I start normally, and as soon as the blobs of colours start, it freezes, shuts off and restarts, but this time, it doesn't even start up the monitor, It just goes for a few seconds, and then shuts off and restarts and keeps doing that, and the screen still won't turn on, and the computer continues the cycle.

I tried turning off the PSU and uplugging all the power cords, and the plugging them back in, all that, AND IT STILL WON'T TURN ON.

I'm really scared, as I just spent all the money I saved up for 7 months for this computer, and now its not even turning on.

PLEASE. Any help, anything at all is REALLY REALLY appreciated. I really need this to work.

By the way, EVERYTHING in the components listing is BRAND NEW.

BRAND FREAKING NEW.

More about : please

August 8, 2009 10:18:11 PM

What temperature does the BIOS say your CPU is running at? Reseat your heatsink, if its not on TIGHT or one of the push pins has come loose it wont make contact, heat wont get transferred to the heat sink and it wont feel warm, but the CPU will burn up like its in the fires of hell. Did you remember to remove the plastic cover from the base of the heatsink or apply the thermal paste if you got an aftermarket one?
m
l
August 8, 2009 10:23:09 PM

If the cpu temperature is reading 103C, you obviously didn't install the heatsink correctly. That is your problem. The heatsink feeling cool means it's not removing heat from the cpu. Reseat it.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2009 10:44:16 PM

Hi Frosty-09,
First off, take a breath. The system is still trying to boot so there's probably a fix for this.
That CPU temp looks VERY high. +1 Everything hunber315 says. Definitely take the heatsink off and check that the thermal paste was applied propperly. Feel free to clean it off and apply again!
Try here for help on how to...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Check that the heatsink seats properly. Again, feel free to remove the heatsink to make sure that the paste is nicely squished and that you're getting good contact. Everything should lock down good and tight while not bending the motherboard.

Remeber to clean all surfaces and re-apply thermal paste each time you remove the heatsink. It's time well spent.

Try removing a stick of RAM and re-seating the remaining one. It's probably not the issue but it takes away an extra variable.

Now re-start the system and don't try to go past the POST screen, assuming it gets that far. Monitor the CPU temp. The BIOS can report temps that are a little high or low depending on exactly what it thinks it's reporting but if it reads in the 35-40C bracket then it's probably fine to continue. Leave the BIOS there to report the temp for a few minutes just to make sure it's nice and stable. Then start pushing on to the Windows side of things.

Good Luck.
m
l
August 8, 2009 10:46:36 PM

i'm thinking heatsink.....

and the computer runs till the CPU hits 100c or whatever and then shuts down to protect itself
m
l
August 8, 2009 11:24:12 PM

purist said:
Hi Frosty-09,
First off, take a breath. The system is still trying to boot so there's probably a fix for this.
That CPU temp looks VERY high. +1 Everything hunber315 says. Definitely take the heatsink off and check that the thermal paste was applied propperly. Feel free to clean it off and apply again!
Try here for help on how to...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Check that the heatsink seats properly. Again, feel free to remove the heatsink to make sure that the paste is nicely squished and that you're getting good contact. Everything should lock down good and tight while not bending the motherboard.

Remeber to clean all surfaces and re-apply thermal paste each time you remove the heatsink. It's time well spent.

Try removing a stick of RAM and re-seating the remaining one. It's probably not the issue but it takes away an extra variable.

Now re-start the system and don't try to go past the POST screen, assuming it gets that far. Monitor the CPU temp. The BIOS can report temps that are a little high or low depending on exactly what it thinks it's reporting but if it reads in the 35-40C bracket then it's probably fine to continue. Leave the BIOS there to report the temp for a few minutes just to make sure it's nice and stable. Then start pushing on to the Windows side of things.

Good Luck.

Alright...

IT"S WORKING THANK ZOMBIE JESUS..

and YOU, you wonderful people!

But now theres the matter of trying to install my O.S...

Any ideas?
m
l
August 8, 2009 11:39:52 PM

Frosty-09 said:
Alright...

IT"S WORKING THANK ZOMBIE JESUS..

and YOU, you wonderful people!

But now theres the matter of trying to install my O.S...

Any ideas?

You are most likely having problems installing the os because the cpu is overheating and the computer shuts down during the process. Fix the overheating problem and you will likely be able to install the os.
m
l
August 8, 2009 11:42:59 PM

orangegator said:
You are most likely having problems installing the os because the cpu is overheating and the computer shuts down during the process. Fix the overheating problem and you will likely be able to install the os.

Yeah, the CPU is at 32 Celsius, but it still is refusing to install.
m
l
August 8, 2009 11:50:07 PM

Just set the boot order to the optical drive first and it should install just fine, just tell it you want to do a new install, remove the existing partitions and create new ones to remove all traces of the previous installation.
m
l
August 9, 2009 12:06:05 AM

hunter315 said:
Just set the boot order to the optical drive first and it should install just fine, just tell it you want to do a new install, remove the existing partitions and create new ones to remove all traces of the previous installation.

Yeah....

How would i go around doing that? I need step by step if you can...
m
l
August 9, 2009 12:13:54 AM

first i would start by clearing your bios, just to make sure all the funky settings are gone. Unplug the computer, pull the silver button battery for 15 seconds, put it back in, plug the computer in, then turn it on. Go into bios, you should have a boot tab, in there you should have an option to set the boot order, i dont know the specifics for your bios.
m
l
August 9, 2009 12:27:02 AM

Hmmm, software. Kinda moving out of my depth here but...
Get into the BIOS as usual.
One of the options (don't know your BIOS so you'll have to go and look) will be "Boot Order".
This tells the system where to look for the operating system.
It's probably set to something like...
"First try - HDD"
"Next try - CD-ROM"
"Next try - 8inch Floppy"
"Next try - Tape" etc
You want the first try to be CD/DVD and the second to be HDD.
That'll get the system booting from your install copy of W*nd*ws &
Let it boot.
It'll probably ask if you want to fix the copy of windows already there or start again.
Let's play safe and start again. Re-partition the disk just like before and let the install run to completion.
At some point you'd better re-set the system to boot from HDD (just undo the changes you previously made in the BIOS) but it's probably best to wait until the install is complete before you go playing with more settings.

I'm guessing that W*n 7 re-boots a few times during it's install. Don't worry, your system should ask if you want to boot from CD and if you do nothing it'll usually default to the HDD. Something to watch though.

All should now be well. Just un-install Windows and install Linux </joke>

Once it's all working try just installing MB drivers first then display driver then sit back and surf a while. Make sure you're not getting re-boots or BSOD etc at this stage so you've as little installed as possible otherwise you'll have loads of little drivers and programs and updates that may be causing the problem.

Good Luck. (please excuse the generality as this is not exactly my area of expertise).
m
l
August 9, 2009 9:06:14 AM

purist said:

"First try - HDD"
"Next try - CD-ROM"
"Next try - 8inch Floppy"
"Next try - Tape" etc

Lol ^^ I doubt he's got 8inch floppy drives or tape readers in his computer :p  But just in case, right?

purist said:
install Linux </joke>

I can't agree more. Except if you want to play a lot of games. Which is probably what his intentions are..

purist said:
please excuse the generality as this is not exactly my area of expertise

When giving advice on the BIOS, you can't be very specific about anything because you don't know what BIOS he has, no?

I would have given some useful advice on the bios boot order setting, but it seems purist has already done so, and I would've said just about the same ^^

Here's a link to a site with some pictures. It won't look exactly the same for you, but it'll give an idea of what to do, hopefully.
m
l
August 9, 2009 3:37:41 PM

Did you burn the Win 7 ISO to DVD yourself or did someone do it for you? If you did it yourself, at what speed? Others have encountered strange problems installing Win 7 when burned at a fast speed.

Try re-burning the ISO at 1X and see if that doesn't help.
m
l
!