Hard Drive keeps locking Windows up, i think...

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I think my hard drive keeps locking up Windows on me and it's getting pretty annoying. The issue has happened a few times in the past but once last week and again last night it was happening almost non stop for a few hours. This morning all of a sudden it seems fine again but i figured i would ask here before i go and buy a new one.

So you know that sound the drive makes when its reading/writing stuff? The issue seems to be whenever i am loading a bunch of stuff or just one heavy thing. Everything will be fine then all of a sudden the hard drive will go silent and everything in windows starts to freeze. I can still move the mouse and whatever active window, whether its an instant messenger window or a webpage, i can still scroll through it, but as soon as i click something or try to move something everything but the mouse freezes. After about a minute or two i will hear the hard drive start to make that loading sound again and everything will kind of catch up and start working again. It will then keep happening every minute or so until i restart the computer once or twice. It's odd because it will load windows fine every time...

I got it back in January of 09 so maybe it's just time for a new one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052

Also before you ask i booted into safe mode, in which the problem still persisted, and scanned for malware and viruses and the such. Scanned the registry too. No issues were found.

The rest of my system if it helps:
Windows 7 64bit
8GB DDR2 1066
650w Corsair PSU
Some Foxconn motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186141
Phenom II X4 955
MSI 560ti
500gb hard drive (link above)
HAF case

Like i said as i am typing this everything seems to be working fine all of a sudden. I just left the computer on all night. This is quite confusing...

Any thoughts?

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'm going to be heading out to best buy in about an hour and i could pick up a new hard drive while there (friends discount too) so if anyone has any ideas let me know soon please :p

TRENDING THREADS